Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2018, 01:29 PM   #1

Question Is this usual? Re:buying our RV

Hello! I thought we had picked our TT out and were moving forward but hubby did a bit more research. This means we are now considering 5th wheels. So, now we are googling and searching for where these 5th wheels are for sale.

We found a few units we are interested in and of course they are NOT in our home state.

So, while working on a long distance purchase the dealership says they will not put our agreement in writing. They will not send us the quote and what it includes.

For us (newbies to the RV world) this sounds shady. We want in writing what we are agreeing to purchase for the large amount of money we are spending.

The dealership told us that they do not do this so we can not take our quote to another dealership and negotiate using their quote.

That sounds very NOT customer service oriented BUT we aren't 100% clear on what is usual in the RV world.

So, is this usual or is this a red flag to walk away from this dealership? Or is it something in between?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Christi
RVallDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2018, 01:40 PM   #2

You haven't looked at it and without a signed offer to purchase and no deposit made it shows you are not serious about buying it so its not unusual. Dealerships know how customers play games too. Not that you are but they don't know that. Long distance inquiries like yours happen several times a week and no one shows.

If you are serious about buying it go look at it and if its the one you want make a written offer to purchase with a deposit on the table subject to dealership and financing approval. If they don't approve you get your deposit back.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:58 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I don't know if that's standard policy among dealers but I can see their side of this.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:03 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I can see the dealers point of view.

If you offer a $250 non-refundable deposit that expires in 7 days, will the dealer write this into the agreement and send it to you?

My question to the dealer would be: I'm interested in the trailer, I will be traveling, What assurances can you give me that you will not sell the vehicle while I'me traveling?
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:21 PM   #5

We were arranging for it to be delivered to us but after reading 3 comments assuming we were going to travel to the trailer, maybe we should consider that instead of delivery. For sure will ask about knowing the unit will be there when we arrive because I would be one fiery Mama if we got there and POOF it didn't exist!
RVallDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVallDat View Post
We were arranging for it to be delivered to us but after reading 3 comments assuming we were going to travel to the trailer, maybe we should consider that instead of delivery. For sure will ask about knowing the unit will be there when we arrive because I would be one fiery Mama if we got there and POOF it didn't exist!
I would recommend caution If your post above means you were going to commit to buy it without seeing it first.

May not be possible, but it would be much better to go to the dealer, pick up the unit, stay in a campground near the dealer for a couple of days. Run all the systems, appliances, pumps, etc. Best time to get something fixed is right then. Easier then to get help if you have questions about operating something.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:06 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum. I can see both sides, but there is no way I would commit to buying any RV that I haven't seen and touched. Once it is delivered your stuck with that bag.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:39 PM   #8

RVall Dat, we just bought a MH in Florida and we live in Calif. We had been looking at this model for 6+ months. Made one offer on one in Texas then I wimped out and we lost our $500 deposit!! But patience payed off. 2 months later found a near perfect unit, spent 2 hrs on the phone on Wed. flew out Mon. AM and was back Sun. nite. It's all in trusting the dealer. this dealer is very well respected on this forum and others. They wanted a refundable deposit or $5000 which we did over the phone. They did not run that deposit until I had checked everything out and OKD the deal. I could have said no and gotten on a plane to come home. Sorry, long winded here but I think it comes down to researching not only the unit but the dealer also. A little research goes a long way.
Dale
old golfer guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:11 PM   #9

Your MONEY-Your payments for along time-It is your LOSS especially after the Warranty runs out--SO it(the purchase) is you only make the DECISION!!!! They should be happy to put there best price up where you can see it-Those that don't must have something to HIDE!!!!! There's lots of RV dealers so NO reason to BIT on the first or second Bid!!!!! Saying all that I can see putting up a small ($500) deposit refundable if it' not what you wanted or expected!!!!

Steve
SPA48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:43 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
We have bought 2 MHs long distance and sold one long distance as well.

With our purchase of our Dynamax Isata 3 we sent a $500 refundable deposit (had this in writing) and bought it when we finally saw it (900 mile trip)

With our recent Tiffin purchase we knew what we wanted and ordered it to be buit. This required a $5000 non refundable but we were ok wiht this (1500 miles or so)

We sold the Isata to a gentelman from TX who came to see it. We agreed to take it off the market for 48 hours while he came out to see it. NO deposit required and he bought it.

So asking for a deposit is not unusual but I would want it to be refundable in most cases.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:44 PM   #11

I personally would never purchase a unit that I haven't stepped foot in and inspected. After viewing multiple RVs at multiple lots, there were many brand new RVs that had noticeable defects in them. Besides you should go to the RV, lay down in the bedroom, kick back in the living area....see if it's livable for you. Are the closets the right size, is the shower the right size, many of these things you can't determine just by looking at blueprints on line of the layout. I would make a trip there. It's not like you're buying a $50. item that you can return to the store if you don't like it.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:47 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVallDat View Post
Hello! I thought we had picked our TT out and were moving forward but hubby did a bit more research. This means we are now considering 5th wheels. So, now we are googling and searching for where these 5th wheels are for sale.

We found a few units we are interested in and of course they are NOT in our home state.

So, while working on a long distance purchase the dealership says they will not put our agreement in writing. They will not send us the quote and what it includes.

For us (newbies to the RV world) this sounds shady. We want in writing what we are agreeing to purchase for the large amount of money we are spending.

The dealership told us that they do not do this so we can not take our quote to another dealership and negotiate using their quote.

That sounds very NOT customer service oriented BUT we aren't 100% clear on what is usual in the RV world.

So, is this usual or is this a red flag to walk away from this dealership? Or is it something in between?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Christi

NOPE nope nope nope.. hang up and keep moving on.

From a guy who's bought 2!! (not 1) RV's from a long distance from home, just keep walking.

A good dealer is more than happy to give you a price. They are even MORE happy when you show up on their door step, and at that point, they surely don't want you to leave.. because they know your chances of coming back are slim.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:49 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
NOPE nope nope nope.. hang up and keep moving on.

From a guy who's bought 2!! (not 1) RV's from a long distance from home, just keep walking.

A good dealer is more than happy to give you a price. They are even MORE happy when you show up on their door step, and at that point, they surely don't want you to leave.. because they know your chances of coming back are slim.

Call Burt Thompson at Thompson RV in oregon and watch the difference.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:53 PM   #14

Something else to think about. If the dealership is so far away that you can't go take a look at it and make a deal face to face, how do you intend to get warranty repairs done? And believe me, you will need warranty repairs.

Tags
buying