Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #1

Issues with the Post office and general delivery

Last year we went to Chloride Az and had our mail forwarded to General Delivery there as we have in the past. It was the second week of August 2014 and spent two weeks there. Then we went to Blanding Ut and had Chloride change our General Delivery to Blanding Ut. Well, the Post Mistress at Chloride changed our address to Blanding Ut permanently.

When we got home at the end of October we received some mail but nothing from our checking statements, credit card statements and other important mail.I tried several times at the post office to get it cleared up when I found out our address had been permanently. Our address is still not corrected but the Blanding post office has been sending me our mail each week. They are nice people there and we know them well for four years now of visiting there.

We may have to move to Blanding so we can get all of our mail because the Post Office can't seem to get our address changed back to our real home address. Has anyone else had this issue with our ignorant Post Office personnel?? How do you handle your mail when your on the road for a month or a year??
Carl Darnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If we are going to be gone less then a month we just put a stop on it and then pick it up when we get home. We have friends that stop by and just check our mail box periodically, almost every time we've done this we end up getting some mail delivered at home.

If we are going to be gone longer my wife arranges with a friend to have our mail picked up at the post office with another slip filled out so they are allowed to pick up and turn in the slip to stop.

The other thing we have to worry about is electric and water. Several times we've told them that we would be out of town for an expended period. We shut off our water. Once, since we hadn't used any water, they changed our water meter and then back charged us for water we didn't use. I raised all holly heck and they reduced the amount but we still got charged for water we didn't use. The same thing almost happen with electric the last time, our usage went down so they were going to change the meter.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:25 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
We found our winter home PO to be totally incompetent. I know its more expensive, however we established a box in SD, have all of our important mail sent there on a permanent basis.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:33 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I guess I'm very fortunate. I have a large basket just inside my porch door that my mail man drops my mail in when I'm gone. Then one of my daughters who lives nearby picks up the mail once a week, puts it in a flat rate box and sends it to General Delivery where I'm staying. It usually goes out on a Friday afternoon and I have it by Tuesday.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:19 PM   #5

As I understand, you had your mail forwarding service send your mail to Chloride General Delivery. I don't think I'd ask the post office to change your next General Delivery location. I've never heard of this being done by our full-timing friends.

I would - and have - asked my mail forwarder to change your next General Delivery.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:09 PM   #6

How often do you travel? If your gone six months or more it would pay to use a mail service. I'll use St. Brendan's Isle as an example as that's who I use.
Make The mail service you main address for everything but maybe taxes etc.
At St. Brendan they scan the envelope and post it to our private account so we know what we received by that evening. On the web, in our private account, we have the option to Hold, Shred, Open and scan contents, or Send. If we decide to send, and again on their web, we simply enter the address where we want it sent. This could be the CG your at, to your home, to your accountant, etc. It's all done via the web and very convenient.
As most all our bills and things are done on the net we really don't receive much in they way of things that need immediate attention. We normally only get our ,ail once a month.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:25 PM   #7

I cannot imagine trusting anyone to provide a service that loses over 6 billion dollars a year ?
Old 08-02-2015, 06:33 PM   #8

That is partly due to congress. UPS is not tax supported yet it is controlled by congress. Congress won't let them do the things a normal business would do. They can't close some post offices, can't stop Saturday delivery and can't rais postal rates with out congressional approval.
Notice I said "partly due"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:18 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
"Has anyone else had this issue with our ignorant Post Office personnel??"

Sounds like you don't know how to work the system and to call the post office staff ignorant is over the top.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:29 AM   #10

To dons2346, oh yes, by now I know how to work or use the USPS system but they don't know how to work their own system. Did you not see that for a year now we have tried monthly to get them to set our address back to our real address???

A month after we got back and realized we were not getting important mail I began the path to nowhere with the Post Office. We have friendly cooperative Post Office personnel in Blanding Ut and in our home town of Taylorsville Ky but the people that make the changes that each Post Office sends in are incompetent fools. It's not the city Post Offices that are the problem, it's the idiots that handle the changes. It doesn't matter if you make a general delivery on line or at the Post Office the people making the computer changes are the ones that are at fault.

We contacted every person, company and banking institution we deal with what our correct address is. They are all using our correct address but our IGNORANT Postal Service doesn't recognize that and that we have continuously requested them to quit diverting our mail to Blanding. It's getting to the point that I think they hire the least intelligent and cheapest people they can find.

I would love to see the federal government close all the Post Offices and discontinue mail delivery and turn it over to a private company like Fed-Ex or UPS. I know the people that a private company would hire would be way better than those the federal government hires.

Thanks for all the posts that tell how you handle forwarding mail. The Post Office has a service where they charge about $17 to start it and about $17 a week to forward your mail from your home Post Office by Priority Mail each week. I am looking into getting a Post office box at my home Post Office and having my son pick up our mail and sending it Priority mail each week. I am thinking any method to keep the Post Office out of the system would be the best.
Carl Darnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Darnell View Post

Thanks for all the posts that tell how you handle forwarding mail. The Post Office has a service where they charge about $17 to start it and about $17 a week to forward your mail from your home Post Office by Priority Mail each week. I am looking into getting a Post office box at my home Post Office and having my son pick up our mail and sending it Priority mail each week. I am thinking any method to keep the Post Office out of the system would be the best.
I think having your son pick up the mail and mailing it to you each week is your solution.

I don't agree with some of your statements about the P.O.

We full-timed for 16 years and used the Escapees mail forwarding service. They gave us our permanent street address and all of our mail went there. It's a legal address for all documents - a street address, not a Box #. When we were ready to receive it via General Delivery we just emailed or called them and it was sent Priority the next day.

We absolutely never had a problem with getting our mail - even to Alaska. It always came in 2-3 days.

I think your problem is very rare and it's unfair to call people names and stupid and basically condemning the whole system.

Good luck in handling it differently next time.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote