Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2011, 11:55 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
I do hope the man recovers. He is in my prayers. I retired three years ago. I'm 56 right now. I have a bum ankle, but still get around pretty good. I would like to eventually go full time. Right now I have to get the MH running, I have some camping coming up next month.

svdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2011, 11:56 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Since retiring I've had to give CPR instructions via cell phone while the person who's phone I was holding used mine to call for EMS
Yes, it happens suddenly.. Thank heavens for training. And thank you INSTRUCTORS!
A GREAT REMINDER! We need to be trained in basic emergency procedures. For reasons I can only attribute to laziness, many of us haven't done it and it can mean all the difference.

Several years ago, I had taken my family and my mom and dad out for dinner. My mom was paralyzed on her right side and without speech. Because of the lack of feeling, she sometimes wouldn't chew her food as well as she should.

Well, she began to choke. I have never felt so helpless in my life. All I could do was to yell for someone to call 911. From the middle of chaos a young man a couple of tables over calmly walked over and slid in beside her... said something in her ear to calm her down... and popped out that hunk of veal on the first compression.

Picking up the guy's dinner tab seem insignificant but kissing him probably would have been over the line.

I'm ashamed to say that I still have not gotten trained but I think these stories just might get me off my butt this winter.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:45 AM   #31

Let me tell you how quick it happens:
This Friday evening I was setting at the table eating pisa with my #1 son and wife; at 12/30AM I had a pain that wouldn't quite; at 5/30AM I was in the emergency room; half a dozen tests and I was admitted to the hospital.
Tests, more tests more tests; fever up to 104 can't find the problem; Monday morning into the operating room and start removeing body parts; they decided that the gulbadder was the problem; so out it came. I'm home now; hurt like#%$# but I'm still breathing, so I cheated the grim reaper one more time; lifes great; never a dull moment

Have a nice day
Old 08-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #32
doc

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
So many of the folks I worked with died before they retired; most kept saying I'll retire as soon as I get the house paid for; I'll retire as soon as I get the new car paid for; one reason after the other; they told me I was crazy to quite when I did; I took a 2/3 pay cut; that was 27 years ago, i have never regreted a minute of it.
quite when you can fellows; you don't get a second go around.
You don't need that new car; or that brand new RV.
I have seen that happen over and over again. About to retire and then clock out way too early. We had a guy in the office who had set the date and was going to play golf and travel some. We was walking up the street near his home, getting in shape. That is where he was found - on the grass beside the sidewalk. Two weeks before retirement. Old guys at the PD used to work until they were in failing health, then retire and die within six months.
I left early while still in pretty good health. Took that hit on the pension of course as well as my SS. Continuing to advocate getting out while you are able to do the things you enjoy.
On the other hand, I know a guy who simply enjoys coming to work every day. To him, his job is more like a hobby he enjoys doing. He will probably be found in his mail truck with a smile on his face.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #33
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
Let me tell you how quick it happens:
This Friday evening I was setting at the table eating pisa with my #1 son and wife; at 12/30AM I had a pain that wouldn't quite; at 5/30AM I was in the emergency room; half a dozen tests and I was admitted to the hospital.
Tests, more tests more tests; fever up to 104 can't find the problem; Monday morning into the operating room and start removeing body parts; they decided that the gulbadder was the problem; so out it came. I'm home now; hurt like#%$# but I'm still breathing, so I cheated the grim reaper one more time; lifes great; never a dull moment

Have a nice day
Get well soon, and consider you should quit playing games with the GR , it always wins
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #34

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I retired at 55 and my wife at 60. I put about 50K miles on the M/H travelling by myself while she continued to work. Since her retirement we have gone about 80 K miles and hit the lower 48 except Ohio and Kentucky, BC, Alberta, and Ontario, and Puerto Penasco Mx.
Don't wait to travel...still have years to go as I'm only 67.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #35

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
July 2007 48 years old...I was as Fit as I have ever been...5X/week at the gym, 170 lbs, felt great!

I was participating in a motorcycle racing "Boot Camp" training class...
4 Days of 8 hours a day of Exercise, Riding, and Racing.
Total Dry Camping...No showers, No facilities...

Day 5 Home at last...EXHAUSTED but feeling fine...
About noon.....I got the chills...EXTREME chills..Shook so bad that I couldn't even dial the phone to call the DW(1)...
Admitted to the Hospital with a 108 degree Fever

Turns out that my physical activity over 4 days (sweating) in combination with bacteria from the dirt, compounded by no sanitary facilities (shower) had started a Urinary tract infection, that went SEPSIS!

As I had basically NO blood pressure, they inserted a mainline and administered drugs to keep my heart working...

A week or so in ICU and lots O'Antibiotics, and they let me go back home...at a gaunt 155 lbs...

Bottom line...
If not for the grace of the Creator and had I not been in such top physical shape, I wouldn't be writing this now...

AS has been said before....

Yesterrday is but a memory
Tomorrow is just a wish for what might be

TODAY is the PRESENT
Open and enjoy it!
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Get well soon, and consider you should quit playing games with the GR , it always wins
But a moveing target is hard to hit.

Life gets better by the day
And thanks for the well wishes
Old 08-30-2011, 10:31 PM   #37

In a few months I will turn 73 so I guess I am either already an old geezer or on the verge of being one. My best friend of 40 plus years,who is 8 years my senior and is definitely an OG, and I have often had these same discussions many times. We remind each other that this ain't a dress rehearsal and what we expected to be the Golden Age is in reality many times the Rust Age. This getting older stuff is not for sissies. Let's all hope that we and the guy that this thread was started about will all wake up tommorrow and be able to still look DOWN on the grass! God speed and be careful out there, Ken......
Old 08-31-2011, 12:00 AM   #38
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm going on 78 years have been retired for 24 years the age of our adopted twin girls.
Prior to retirement for 35 years we took care of foster children mostly abused girls and some boys close to 55.
We had three children of our own and at times we had 13 children at the dinner table.
My wife was a busy woman those years and handled problems as they arose with the children.
Any baby that came in was adopted as a 12 week abused baby which took five years through court system, when state lost custody of her, she is happily married now 30 years old and four grandkids for us.
We and kids traveled to FL. with different MH's over the years through Canada the States and to irv2 rallies.
We are glad we were able to do all this traveling because now our long trips are down to weekends for two days because the wife is now on dialysis three days a week and has developed a heart condition along with other complications.
I have a problem but hope my 103 year old mothers genes are with me so I can keep the wife going and extend our 55 years of marriage together.
Ricks first post pretty well says it all the kids wanted to give their pop one last trip before their could be none, hope they can finish that for him.
You never know what the future will bring so make the most of what you can make of it and enjoy the RV life style to the fullest.
Wife says she will crawl into the MH before she lets me sell it and I will help push her there.
Wish you all safe travels and enjoy as many rallies as you can.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:08 AM   #39

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RELHUB View Post
That is the main reason my WIfe and I purchased our Winnebago to create great memories with our family. The same thing my parents did with me 20 years ago and I still treasure those times together.
My parents did that 55 years ago and I still remember it just like yesterday. I hope my son remembers it in the future, I know the grandkids that we are raising will!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:12 AM   #40

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
On every cruise we've been on, we've seen any number of women in the 50's and up who keep saying, "I just wish (fill in name of deceased husband here) had been able to enjoy a cruise like this before he died. We were planning on doing it after he retired."

I may die poorer in finances, but my we have great memories from 20+ cruises, travel, etc.
My parents gave us a player piano years ago, we finally asked them if we could sell it, they agreed. We got $5,000 out of it and took them on an Alaska cruise with us. As far as I know they enjoyed it, the only cruise they ever took.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:17 AM   #41

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

Anyone reading this thread thinking "I wish I could do that" might want to take a look at the Early-Retirement.org forum. The posters there offered me a lot of support, provided great ideas and gave me the courage to pull the work plug six years ago at age 58. Best decision I ever made - oops, other than marrying my DW of 43 years, of course...
I pulled the plug at 51, but I had 30 years in with the State of Washington and my pension wouldn't grow much so I elected out of the rat race (got passed over for a dept head promotion that was given to the SIL of a big wig). I'll be 65 in January and just working till my wife can retire and the youngest grandkid is out of school (he's 11 now) although we might go ahead and travel school him.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:22 AM   #42

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
This also brings out the importance of having more than one experienced RV driver. If/when that one driver has a heart attack(I've already had open heart surgery once)or another life-threatening event, who will drive the RV, and maintain it while the driver is incapacitated, or heaven forbid shipped back home in a casket?
I love to drive, my wife has requested many times to allow her to drive; I hesitate because she has had several mini-strokes and her nerves are on edge almost all the time. I will re-think my position and push myself to allow her to drive more often after reading this thread.
I keep pushing my wife to learn to drive the MH but she almost refuses to help me check the lights when we hook up. Guess I should have started her when we had the 17' Type B MH and worked he up to the 41' we now have. Probably too late now! I keep telling her what will happen if I become disabled (actually I am partially now). She says she'll sell the MH.