Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2016, 10:49 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
It Just Keeps Getting Newer

In a reverse twist of Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray, my Winnebago Voyage seems to be growing newer by the week.

We bought the 2006 Voyage used a couple of years ago. It seemed in excellent condition with all systems go. Then it was ours.

Well as you know, any RV is perfect until you own it. Then it begins. Owners of new RVs just want everything to work - sometimes a task to match Sisyphus trying to roll that boulder up the hill.

For those of us who have bought used RVs, the job is a bit different - we are trying to create new RVs (working ones) out of older units. We're like Sisyphus's other brother.

Looking over the past couple of years, I realize my Voyage is getting pretty close to new. But "new" in this sense is really a moving target that I will never reach.

Let's take a look at the Voyage's voyage (pun intended) toward newness so far. I'll start with some small things and work up.
  • New faucets in kitchen and bath
  • New water pump
  • New toilet
  • New connection from black water tank to dump valve
  • Rebuilt leveling system, including new controller, new pump, new distribution (balancing) valve, and several new hydraulic jacks
  • New driver's side windshield
  • New step motor
  • New radio
  • New engine water pump
  • New engine as a result of a mechanic putting stop-leak in the radiator, which, of course, meant...
  • New radiator

Currently I am working on the front clearance lights which were installed with some cockamanie metal frame that may or may not be available. I ordered something from Winnebago that has no picture available. When they arrive I'll find out whether or not they are correct or I have to jury-rig something on my own.

There is also the matter of repairing the latch on the electric utility hatch door which involves drilling out some rivets. I'm replacing the nylon (or plastic) latches with some aluminum ones I learned about here on IRV2.

So this old RV is getting newer by the week. But I am sure I am not alone, and I am sure you have your own stories. Please share them.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2016, 05:41 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Reminds me of a Johnny Cash song.

(Gig'em, '93)
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:55 AM   #3

To be a home you have to make it yours. You should never stop rebuilding or modding.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:45 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
LOL, I can't keep from tinkering either. The price for our list of things we want to do to the coach is higher than what we paid for it!
Old 10-27-2016, 07:31 AM   #5
IC2

Ahhhhh the world of RV and the 'home' of doers and tinkerers.

Ours is a 2014 5er, purchased new near the end of that year's season but it has been used quite a lot - about 90 days or so a year.

Many of the things I have done on our 5er were absolutely unnecessary though some were for added comfort i.e. the second a/c, two La-Z-Boy chairs, better sleeper sofa, better DR chairs, etc, etc, etc. Then add in the needed items and that current list is, well pretty dang big. My current 'required' chores are fixing the bypass slider doors in the bedroom. Keystone used an LE Johnson light duty 'kit' that just should not be used on any RV. Then there was that puny set of bed lift gas springs just fixed. Now, the current desirable items list - the new, 800 pound larger capacity set of suspension four leaf springs waiting in my shop for a warm day. And that disc brake mod on it's way from etrailer/Kodiak also to be waiting that warm day (it's ~30F as I write this). There is more, but I've reached the point on my list that I can't have any more 'stuff' waiting my time.

What I'm saying is that you/we are not alone

IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:50 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Ahhhhh the world of RV and the 'home' of doers and tinkerers.

What I'm saying is that you/we are not alone
No, we definitely are not alone. I am sure our stories are not the exception but the norm.

I like to think of it as a gift that keeps giving.

Even when there are no trips planned and the RV is in the shed, I seem to have plenty of reasons to visit it and spend just as much money as I would spend travelling. Only I am spending the money to get ready to travel.

The definition of a boat is a hole in the water into which you throw money. I guess an RV could be thought of as a giant pothole on the highway where you throw the money.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:01 AM   #7

What I don't get is why did the previous owner not fix some of the stuff I've had to fix? You know, the easy stuff...old tires, shocks, latches...

It was a trade-in, so was still being used.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:46 AM   #8
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
What I don't get is why did the previous owner not fix some of the stuff I've had to fix? You know, the easy stuff...old tires, shocks, latches...

Some folks just .... don't nor do they have any idea that something needs to be done until there is a problem. Even worse, they seldom have a problem either so it gets traded and the new owner has the 'privilege' of doing the fixin' (hopefully the price was right)
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:24 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post

Maybe not. It could have been sitting in someones back yard for years. I've seen all types of RVs sitting for months and years.