Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2016, 07:37 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
It MUST be better to stay in your rig, than drop it off for maintenance??

We bought an '07 KSDP spring of 2015. This is the third time we have had to take in for repair work. We have used three different service providers. All three times the shop has been booked up and we made an appointment a few weeks into the future for work to be done. Each time, I asked how long will it be before it is ready?

In every case, it has been weeks and weeks past due the promised completion. Excuses......you could make a sitcom out of the excuses!

Today it has been 3 weeks since our start date on a job that was quoted a few days. Needless to say I am frustrated! The prices are highway robbery, and then to get treated with such disrespect, makes me crazy.

Unfortunately, we live over 120 miles or more, from any of the three, so dropping it off and going home has been my mode. My question is; in the future should I act like a full timer and stay with the rig till its done? On site everyday.....hanging out in the lobby everyday....getting ugly in the lobby when it s dragged out?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 07:51 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like a good idea.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:56 AM   #3

IF you can do it for Days without getting arrested !!

I would get arrested... as a retired auto mechanic, I know what time it takes to do a job... and sometimes its the Parts and shipping that takes forever.

and they will NEVER order needed parts before you drop off trailer/car/truck.....
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:04 AM   #4

There is never any valid excuse for SCHEDULED work to be delayed like many report.

If a qualified and factory authorized service provider is performing the work then a part order should only cause a minor delay if parts are indeed available.

I would think often the "walk in" customers often get priority as they are there and cannot leave it but that too is poor excuse.

It would seem that if one is scheduling work for a given time in the future the time to complete the work should be known within reason meaning most rv take about the same time to complete a similar task so they should know how much time to schedule and be able to tell you that.

Plus and this is key...If it is say a 2 hour job then on the day the work is scheduled it should be worked on for 2 hours and be done...

Taking weeks for a quoted job is never acceptable.

Yes we have ran service shops and we got it done.

When scheduling work ask what day in then confirm when done and ask about ordering discovered parts and other delays then clearly indicate past history and clearly set expectation that the unit will be ready and done properly and write it on the service order for the service writer to sign.

Also state you will not accept a delay for bs reason and will expect huge discount or ??? And make sure anything agreed is signed for.

That is called a performance clause and is common in other fields so expect to be treated well.

Also check the state consumer protection agency for complaints...If none fine if some think about the choice.

When dealing with the service writer you can share that you checked with the state...

Learn how to be a customer...
Old 08-09-2016, 08:40 AM   #5

Curious what kind of problems you are having that only a dealer can fix?
Old 08-09-2016, 08:47 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
This is what I did when I was director of maintence on aircraft. You find the shop set up time and date of start and finish. At the finish date if they were not done then I charged them for downtime. A good shop will agree to this. If they have issues then they must contact you to agree on change of date. And I use to call half way and get updates and told them I will check back in and they will make sure you are done in time. As we all know time is money and when it is on them they will squeal like a pig.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:34 AM   #7

As full-timers, we never had major issues with our motorhome. We had a couple minor within a month or two of buying it new. For regular maintenance we would call in advance so they could order any necessary items, then travel to get there since we were heading in that direction anyway. We'd arrive the day before, stay at the facility, most often with electric, and they would pick it up in the morning for service.

We'd have things packed for the day - cooler, books, computer, etc. We'd go out to have a leisurely breakfast, perhaps run some errands or shopping, take in a movie, do some siteseeing in this new area or if a nice day, go to the local park and relax with our reading material on a blanket or chairs.

We'd be in touch with the facility and they'd call when it was ready - always the same day. We'd spend another night there if it was too late in the afternoon to start traveling.

Camping out in the lobby and raising a fuss will get you nowhere.

This process worked for us for 16 years of full-timing with two different RVs.

Granted, if you had a major problem, it most likely would not work. We were fortunate, I guess.

OP: If I were you I'd find a different service facility or even a mobile one.

I would like to know what problems you're having. Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:46 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have had better success dealing with the smaller rv tech guys that are Mobile or have a small RV repair business. I do most of my own maintenance but there are certain things I need help with.
The smaller guy's seem to have more customer service savy and will do the job and then move on to the next customer.
They also probably charge much less than the big dealers. The only experience I have had with big dealerships has been less than satisfactory and the end result was having to re fix it myself or get someone else to do it right.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:41 PM   #9

We full time so scheduling maintenance and repairs to minimize downtime is essential. I could and would do most of that stuff but have no facility to do it and most places we stay don't allow it. Your lucky if they let you clean the exterior. Our approach is to handle it by making two trips. First to have it checked out and needed parts ordered and then return later for the actual work. So far so good. We have stayed overnight at the shop but it's usually the night before so they can get an early start.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
We full time so scheduling maintenance and repairs to minimize downtime is essential. I could and would do most of that stuff but have no facility to do it and most places we stay don't allow it. Your lucky if they let you clean the exterior. Our approach is to handle it by making two trips. First to have it checked out and needed parts ordered and then return later for the actual work. So far so good. We have stayed overnight at the shop but it's usually the night before so they can get an early start.
Here in Denver, CO that would never work. There are probably less than half the number of repair stalls city wide than what is needed. You agree to come in on a certain day to asses your problem, that takes about three weeks lead time, then schedule a day to drop off the trailer. It's about another three week wait for that date. Then it takes leaving your trailer there 7-10 days before they will look at it and then they order the parts when the tech verifies the need. It's not just where I go (CW) it's the same everywhere in town. Most places you can't even get them to accept your RV for repair. Why should I have to be "accepted" to get a repair done. I you didn't buy it from us so sorry but we are too flooded with customers to help you. There are hardly any mobile techs around either. With that over abundance of customers RV dealers are rude and will never be customer friendly. I hear regularly about people losing almost the entire camping season trying to get something fixed. You will hear the same old saying everywhere here - "bring it back in the winter."
fdhealy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:51 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've been lucky so far. When we picked up the new coach last October they told us one A/C was bad. They had ordered a replacement and suggested we go camping since it was fall we wouldn't need it. They said when you're done, bring it back. We'll replace the A/C and winterize it for you. Which they did the day we took it back.

This spring I wanted it set up to tow our Jeep. They were busy so we set a date 5 weeks out. Dropped the car off one night, then the coach the next morning. We also had a couple items for warranty including replacing the front window shade.

That night we drove the coach home pulling the toad, with a brand new window shade installed too.

I can't say enough about Midway RV in Grand Rapids, MI. Hopefully I won't have to use them much, and if I do I pray they continue to service their customers well.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:59 PM   #12
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
We bought an '07 KSDP spring of 2015. This is the third time we have had to take in for repair work. We have used three different service providers. All three times the shop has been booked up and we made an appointment a few weeks into the future for work to be done. Each time, I asked how long will it be before it is ready?

In every case, it has been weeks and weeks past due the promised completion. Excuses......you could make a sitcom out of the excuses!

Today it has been 3 weeks since our start date on a job that was quoted a few days. Needless to say I am frustrated! The prices are highway robbery, and then to get treated with such disrespect, makes me crazy.

Unfortunately, we live over 120 miles or more, from any of the three, so dropping it off and going home has been my mode. My question is; in the future should I act like a full timer and stay with the rig till its done? On site everyday.....hanging out in the lobby everyday....getting ugly in the lobby when it s dragged out?

In the few times that rv repair shops have tried there tricks, I submit a review of their inconsiderate behavior/attitude at the following link so others may be likewise informed and additionally never go back.
RV Service Reviews This is your best friend and only takes a few minutes to complete.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:51 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
First repair project last fall was a roof replacement. At a platinum repair dealer, took 2 1/2 months. Supposedly the long term employee who did roofs had a heart attack and quite and they had to train a new employee. ( Scary ain't it...at inspection he did an outstanding job. Nice young guy, was real proud of his work, said he wanted to get it right.) that was lucky!

Second job, this spring, at an authorized Cummins / Spartan shop, replace coolant sender, coolant sender cable, and ride height adjustment. Took 3 weeks after appointment date.

Current job, at factory authorized dealer in Oklahoma. Large kitchen slide dragging on bottom edge and right edge, slide floor and counter top,out of level when extended, and loud popping sound when extending and retracting. Small portion of sub floor dry rot, and new slide seals. Long story short, after paying for an inspection, they said they couldn't do the job, The slide would have to be removed at the factory. Wrote letter to factory copied them, VP called and said they were new dealer for Newmar and there guys hadn't done one. He talked and talked about how they had a video conference with Newmar and the techs now new how to fix it without removing the slide. They needed to learn how to do it and improve there Newmar skill set. Reassured me many times he had outstanding mechanics and he would guarantee they got it right. " make an appointment, bring it in, should take just a few days". I was at 3 weeks yesterday. Call me stupid, but I didn't want the added expense of a round trip to Indiana, a 8 week lead time at the factory, then the wait there while they fixed it.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:01 PM   #14

Call that vp back and continue the conversation.

Request they fly out someone at once to train and complete.

Tags
maintenance