Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2016, 05:33 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Itasca 33C hood mounts

Hello. I am a new member with my first class A. I have a 2013 Itasca 33c.I noticed today that the metal brackets that hold the fiberglass hood are broken. Appear Itasca used a epoxy to bond the metal bracket to the fiberglass front. Looks like they go in a hurry and barely attached the passenger side. Can I buy some over the counter epoxy and redo or do I need to take to a RV place thanks
rick5963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2016, 07:47 PM   #2

You should be able to get something that works. If you can go to a place that sells auto body supplies and talk to them about what you want to do.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:19 PM   #3

KZ RV Club
Welcome to the crowd. Mine fall off so frequently that I now have them safety wired so they don't go bouncing down the road. The dealer has twice re-epoxied them but...

The first one that came off had maybe half a dime sized bead of epoxy holding the whole thing one. Just poor workmanship and no pride in their work, whoever the tech was who was working that day.
GumpAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:37 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Itasca 33c mounts

Thanks for the information.I will check with the local auto part stores. Sounds like I need to get wire ties while I am there also.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:54 PM   #5

I would suggest you use West System epoxy. It is what I use our boat and I have never had it fail. Great stuff but a little on the pricey side. Just depends on how many times you want to do it.
rambler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:58 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Can you post a photo of what you are dealing with? I had a similar problem on our Tiffin.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:27 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Drill a few holes in the mount bracket so what ever you use will mushroom out to help hold it in place. I used gorilla glue on my 3 years ago and no issues yet.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:41 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick5963 View Post
Hello. I am a new member with my first class A. I have a 2013 Itasca 33c.I noticed today that the metal brackets that hold the fiberglass hood are broken. Appear Itasca used a epoxy to bond the metal bracket to the fiberglass front. Looks like they go in a hurry and barely attached the passenger side. Can I buy some over the counter epoxy and redo or do I need to take to a RV place thanks
I had my fiberglass disengage from the metal bracket after I hit a folding seat that flew off the back of a pickup truck on I-95. I took it to a friend that has an auto body shop and he used a two part epoxy that is made to connect fiberglass bodies to frames. The problem is going to be finding a way of clamping the pieces together until the epoxy dries. Apparently Winnebago put the brackets on the fiberglass front before attaching it to the frame so clamping it together was possible. When epoxying them together while the panel is mounted on the vehicle you can't get a clamp to go around the pieces. So my friend ended up drilling holes and bolting it with the plan on going back and removing the bolts and filling the holes and touching them up. I found this 3M Panel Bonding Adhesive on Amazon for $20 - Robot Check
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:38 AM   #9

I had to go out and look at mine and I see on mine that there are a couple of threaded metal studs built into the fiberglass that the metal bracket is bolted to. Looks very strong, perhaps they redesigned this for my year coach.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:00 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Go to the Winnebago owner's forum on here and do a search. This has been an issue for years. There are several fixes including bolting them on.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for the help.I found a dealer who had a body shop crew. They fixed the broken parts and repaired a few that appeared weak.They removed all old expoy ,sanded surfaces etc.

Tags
itasca