Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-05-2011, 11:44 PM   #15
The grammar in the first sentence of that letter tells a lot. The person is not a writer of any great deeds. I'd of thrown the letter to the shredder once I read it. Cash only, and on the spot.

Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2011, 11:55 PM   #16
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
I don't even think it is called a 'Cashiers Check' anymore, think they call them 'Certified Check'............whatever that is.
Might be, just not near as safe as they used to be!

My daughter is in Sequim, on McLo Lane, her husband runs a mobile RV service.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:31 AM   #17
Originally Posted by bsirby View Post
I would call him and let him know that you will only accept a bank cashiers check and for the amount of purchase only. I would also ask the bank to look closely at the check to see if they can detect something amiss. Every bank has a fraud dept that knows of most every scam out there. Even if the bank cashes the check, if it is fraud, you will have to pay the money back. Personally, I would think real hard about selling to this person. Good luck

do not accept a cashier's check, they can be printed off a computer.
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:58 AM   #18
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
These scams are easy to spot. All you need to do is read it closely for grammar, punctuation, and sentence construction. When English is a second language, very few have those skills. Ever read the Chinese instructions to assemble anything?

X's 2---easiest way to identify is by language and spelling. People unbelievably fall for this stuff otherwise it would stop.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #19
Ok, I agree it is a scam. However, how do you know it is tied to the tires you posted for sale here? No mention of them or irv2. Could it just be a random mass email like we all get in our inboxes all the time?
Yellowreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #20
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
I don't even think it is called a 'Cashiers Check' anymore, think they call them 'Certified Check'............whatever that is.
Actually these are two very different things.

A "cashiers check" is a bank issued check from the bank's account and yes - if the check is not a forgery - these are STILL positively guaranteed, because they are issued on the bank's account (who takes the funds immediately from the requestor's account into theirs). But, YOU need to verify that the cashier's check is real by calling the issuing bank before you accept it.

A "certified check" is the bank simply stamping your personal check that it has funds (as of the time of the stamp) but this check still is still drawn against your personal account with the bank simply certifying that "at that time" there were funds. Some banks will actually "reserve" the funds until cashed but you never know. In practice, these really have only a little more guarantee than a regular personal check.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #21
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
It once took me 3 days and 5 trips to BB&T to get them to honor one of their own cashiers checks. The said that because the person who signed it was on vacation, they couldn't verify its authenticity. It had a hologram on it, so would be an elaborate scam to forge.

I said "What if she is abducted by aliens before she returns, does that mean this check is no good?" I couldn't believe it. When they finally relented after 3 days and numerous loud confrontations with the branch manager in front of their patrons, and they agreed to honor it, they charged me a $5 check-cashing fee, because I was not a BB&T customer. Suffice to say, I will ALWAYS be charged that fee.

The banks do worry about cashiers check forgery, apparently. They don't even know how to identify a real one, much less a forgery.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #22
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
One thing you can do is report it. I've reported spam/scam emails to the FTC.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #23

Items For Sale Concern

Interesting post. I have had an add, and thought it was no longer posted as time was up. Then received a note from newxxx60@yahoo.com. Never heard of this scam, and was glad there was info posted on irv2. Same name, same number, identical wording. The 516 is the area code for Nassau County on Long Island. Any place in Nassau is not more than 30 minutes from me in Babylon. Internet is great, but like anything else...buyer beware!!!

Tom, Jan withn Papillons, Chance N Candy
'13 (60th annaversary) AMBASSADOR 40' DFT
Don't dream your life away, but live your dream
Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote