Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Items For Sale Concern

I have had someone contact me concerning tires I have for sale in the classified section. They said they would send me a check for the tires, & include money for their Agent for shipping charges. I know that this is a hoax on Craigslist, but I am shocked to see it coming from this forum. At 1st I thought it was a forum member, but help me decide. Below is the email sent to me! I might lose a sell, but I do not think it is legit!

"Hi,

Thanks for the getting back to me. i want you to know that i will be paying with a check.I will be adding the funds that will cover the pick up,when you receive it you will deduct your money which is $900.00.

Therefore, when you received the Check you will take it to your bank and cash it,it will be cashed instantly you will deduct your money and assist in sending the balance to my Agent that will be coming for the pick up.I want you to email me the following information below:

1. The full name on the Check
2. Mailing Address to send the Check
3. Contact phone number

So that the Check can be written out in your name and mail to your address...

PS:I will want you to kindly put SOLD on the advert from the placing site..ok, or any interested buyer that mail you,just let them know that it has been sold...ok,so for doing that i will be willing to compensate you,so your total deduction will be $950.00..Hope this is
clear to you..you can call me on this number...516-396-1284..

Get back to me asap"
Dirtbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
It's definitely a scam.

Google the phone number and there are countless hits.

An agent is another key.

Please use the contact us link at the top and bottom of every page and let us know the member's name.

Unfortunately, anyone can register and post an ad.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I would call him and let him know that you will only accept a bank cashiers check and for the amount of purchase only. I would also ask the bank to look closely at the check to see if they can detect something amiss. Every bank has a fraud dept that knows of most every scam out there. Even if the bank cashes the check, if it is fraud, you will have to pay the money back. Personally, I would think real hard about selling to this person. Good luck
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:38 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
It's definitely a scam.

Google the phone number and there are countless hits.

An agent is another key.

Please use the contact us link at the top and bottom of every page and let us know the member's name.

Unfortunately, anyone can register and post an ad.
They did not give a user ID, but here is the name & email. I just want to warn everyone!

"Steven Smith" <newxxx60@yahoo.com>
Dirtbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
How Did We Get Penetrated By Criminals at iRV2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbuster View Post
I have had someone contact me

Below are other communications referring to this same phone number. ATTN ADMIN Can we trace how this person has access to iRV2?

HELLO,
THANKS FOR THE MAIL U SENT TO ME...I WANT U TO KNOW THAT THE PRICE IS OKAY BY ME AND AS FOR THE SHIPPING THAT 'LL NOT BE A PROBLEM ..I HAVE CONTACTED A SHIPPING COMPANY THAT WILL HANDLE THE SHIPPING...SO THAT 'LL NOT BE A PROBLEM....
AS FOR THE PAYMENT I'LL BE PAYING WITH A CHECK WHICH 'LL BE CASHED EASILY...I WANT U TO KNOW THAT I'LL BE ADDING THE SHIPPING PAYMENT TO THE CHECK THAT 'LL BE SENT TO YOU...IN WHICH U 'LL DEDUCT UR $700 AND SEND THE REMAINING BALANCE TO THE SHIPPING COMPANY THAT 'LL BE COMING FOR THE PICK UP AT UR PLACE...TO SEND IT OUT I'LL NEED UR FULL NAME AND ADDRESS WHERE THE CHECK ' LL BE SENT TO AND PROBABLY UR PHONE #....MINE IS 516-396-1284...DO SEND THE INFO TO ME ASAP....
HOPING TO HEAR FROM U SOONEST..
REGARDS.

Example #2

Thanks for the email, So any time from this week friday noon you will be receiving the payment from the USPS or UPS couier service,but concerning the pick up i have spoken with my shipping company for the pick up, and ... See Morethey advised that i send their shipping charges together with your payment in the check i will be sending to you. So my wife would issue out the check to you as soon as possible to make the transaction faster, which i would have to instruct her to make out the check with excess funds including both with the shipping charges to you via any of the above courier service air delivery, so immedaitely you get it all you are to do is take it to your bank to get it deposited so the bank can tell you when it will clear so that you can get it cashed out and after geting it cashed you will have to deduct the payment of the (BOAT) and the balance will be sent back to the shipping company in order for them to come over to your location for the pickup and every other of my items which they will be shipping for me in other states to my resident in my home town state. I will be compesating you with $70 so that you can keep it for me and as well keep an eye out and proper maintenace on the (BOAT) for me which will now makes the total of $7,570 for you, and the remaining funds will be sent to the shipping company for immediate pick up of the (BOAT) from your location and my other items which they are suppose to ship from NEVEDA to my resident. And i will like you to make the bill of sale ready,make it Mr. Grossman Philips and also i will like you to remove the listing of the (BOAT) out from the site and count it already sold to me okay cos definitely you must receive the payment by this week friday noon and i will give you a call as soon as am less busy with the works am handling over here in the state of NEVEDA for my company.. and i will email you the shipping company's info where to send the shipping charges to as soon as i contact them. So please i would need you to do this favour for me and as well my shipper cos they are the only reliable shippers that has been shipping goods for me for over 4 years now. so kindly do me this favour to avoid any delay in the transaction. And as soon as i get the tracking number from the USPS or UPS courier service by tuesday to thursday i will email it to you so that you can track it yourself on their website to know when exactly they will becoming to get the payment delivered to you by friday noon this week.
Best Regards,
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
One of the oldest scams on the internet. Here's how it works:

US banking rules require that funds are made available to you quickly. You deposit the bogus check, the bank makes the funds available to you, and you send this yahoo's 'agent' the excess money from the check. The check subsequently bounces, the bank takes the money back from your account, and you are OUT the money you sent them.

If you deal face-to-face in cash, you will avoid 99.999% of internet scams. Never ever accept payment in excess of your asking price, and agree to send the balance to anyone.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The Depths of Depravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
One of the oldest scams on the internet. Here's how it works:

US banking rules require that funds are made available to you quickly...

Thanks, Ramblin. Good, concise description.

I'd like to add that DW owns a title company, one of these predators survived three days' worth of vetting by banks, her staff, realtors. Then, after he sent a forged cashier's check and the funds were available as you described, he was impatient to have the money distributed to various payees.

The realtors were convinced this hideous monster was a normal person, ordered a survey and ended up eating a $450 bill.

Wisely, DW insisted on waiting for the check to clear; in doing so, saved her business. The $150K theft would have, in this economy, wiped her out.

Now, we need to figure out how to locate and quietly dispose of these evil miscreants. Small calibre, silencers, a clean hit and the team melts into the night. That's the toughest challenge...
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a reverse lookup.

(516) 396-1284 is a Landline

Likely Location: New York (Nassau)
Albany/Capital District metro area, Rensselaer County
Old 11-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
do not do it

Its a scam with the word advert-african scam.
Beast1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
ATTN ADMIN Can we trace how this person has access to iRV2?
Route 66 is correct: anyone can register on iRV2 to get access to member information if the member has chosen to reveal it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbuster View Post
They did not give a user ID, but here is the name & email. I just want to warn everyone!

"Steven Smith" <newxxx60@yahoo.com>
With this information, we can look to see if the person registered here. Thank you for providing it.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just delete it an move on to hopefully a real buyer.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Even a cashiers check is not "scam proof" as they can buy the check, send it to you, then pull the money out of the account. A cashiers check is not like it used to be, the bank DOESN'T guarantee that they money is there to pay like it used to be. In fact, it's no better than a personal check in that respect other than with a personal check there may never have been any money in the account, with a cashiers check at least the money was there when the check was issued.

A lot of people still think they're absolutely guaranteed to be good, they're not.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #13

I don't even think it is called a 'Cashiers Check' anymore, think they call them 'Certified Check'............whatever that is.
Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #14

These scams are easy to spot. All you need to do is read it closely for grammar, punctuation, and sentence construction. When English is a second language, very few have those skills. Ever read the Chinese instructions to assemble anything?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale