Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockTank View Post
Thank you all for your positive comments. I'm apprehensive, due to the money, I do have 2 pensions, but the newest one coming isn't going to be enough for a RV payment.
My wife is a gubment employee, and retired almost 2 years ago. She was forced to retire, they closed her HUD office here in Tucson.
I am in the middle of rebuilding our 69 big block Corvette (hence the name), and plan to finish it in a month or so. I saved for 6 years to be able to get all the parts ahead of time, to get this done.

To all that served this great country, thank you from the bottom of my heart. For the rest, thank you for your support of our troops.
Curious, is your vette a N03 “big tank” car ?
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2016, 07:44 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Curious, is your vette a N03 “big tank” car ?
No, just an old standard Vette. It even came with a 350 from the factory, but somebody before me installed a 1971 LS-5 454. I rebuilt the motor, and changed a boatload of things on it. If I put it back the way it was before I rebuilt the engine, I'd be done a few months ago. But, I'm finding some wiring now that is very questionable, so new harnesses were in order. I have a ton of pics, maybe I should do a thread on the rebuild process, just for giggles....

BigBlockTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:47 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's a forum begging for such a thread

Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes - iRV2 Forums

Quote:
No, just an old standard Vette. It even came with a 350 from the factory, but somebody before me installed a 1971 LS-5 454. I rebuilt the motor, and changed a boatload of things on it. If I put it back the way it was before I rebuilt the engine, I'd be done a few months ago. But, I'm finding some wiring now that is very questionable, so new harnesses were in order. I have a ton of pics, maybe I should do a thread on the rebuild process, just for giggles....
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:32 AM   #18

Quote:

It is very hard to get up every morning now.

Just 4 months remain......It's been a long, fruitful career.

It's almost here.....

Don't know what I'm going to do with my spare time. My favorite pastime is working. Gonna be hard to slow down........

You need to re-think the definition of "retirement". For you, sitting in a LazyBoy watching Tv while munching on Cape Cod potato ships all day won't cut it. Taking the RV out and being a tourist full time won't either.

I'm a retired Leo 1979-2007. I had a lot of friends and acquaintances retire ahead of me and I noticed a few things. First and foremost some just can't retire, because their life is their job. If it works for them, fine. Then there is the second group who think they can retire, relish the idea then in less than a year they are either back or doing the exact same job with another agency. The third group dropped dead within 5 years of retirement.

Now we come to the 4th group, which I think I fall into and I think you might also.

"It is very hard to get up every morning now."....check

"It's been a long, fruitful career."....check....if I had not had to eat I would have done the job for free.

When I got burned out, and I my heart was not in it, I knew for a fact it was time to go. We had a "drop" program...I made it 3 months out of a 5 year Drop and left a quarter of a million dollars on the table...I walked and have never regretted it.

"My favorite pastime is working."....check.....Now here is where you have to change your thinking. You can still "work" but instead of working for the MAN you will now work for YOU. On your time, at your pace and at your level of enjoyment. No more being in briefings at 0430, no more being on post for 12 hrs at a time. No more being tied to that ball and chain around your wrist(I threw my watch away the day I retired). No more having to do pet projects for commanders that are justifying their existence.

You must start think outside that Guvmnt box that you have lived in your whole working life and shed that transparent blanket of security. As long as you are healthy you can do a million things to make money. I retired at the ripe old age of 49 and have worked harder physically since then. We heat with wood, I'm running 11 head of grass fed beef cattle on 100 ac. I do all the maintenance on the vehicles and equipment.

Look hard at you cost of living at your current location. Large metro area will to shrink a retirement check pretty quick. We moved to Tennessee where there is no state income tax and into a small farm based rural community. In other words it costs us less to live here than in a majority of other states across the board- taxes, insurance, services, etc. After I retired my wife opened up her own small real estate company which has made way more money than my retirement check.

Anyway, for most of us, playing 24/7 at our favorite hobby is not the reality of retirement. But, for us, we manage to travel quite a bit in the RV. My hobby is my motorcycle. Last year in just one trip I put 8,500 miles on my Motor which included riding out to the Left coast and back while camping in parks.

We could go cold turkey and stop all "work", but if we did then we would have to curb our way of life....I ain't ready to do that yet, not as long as I am able.

Congrats or your retirement...use it wisely
Old 03-02-2016, 07:03 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Motor7, I really don't plan to retire "completely". My only son (the oldest died Sept 11) has plans to start his own business and would like for the family to work there also. I have 5 or 6 projects all ready lined up to do. I can't just stop cold turkey, I'd die of boredom, like you had mentioned.

I can tell you 1 thing I'm looking forward to, and that's taking a damn nap when I feel like it LOL

I can't wait, and I'm scared to death at the same time. I've been working for almost 50 years, and don't know anything else. I guess if you count paperboy at age 9 or 10, I have been working for 50 years. Doesn't seem that long.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:34 PM   #20

Quote:
I've been working for almost 50 years, and don't know anything else. I guess if you count paperboy at age 9 or 10, I have been working for 50 years. Doesn't seem that long.
I am in the same bracket as you and no it does not seem that long. Kind of scary to look back and see how many years have slipped by in what seems like a short amount of time.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:12 PM   #21

Bigblocktank
Sorry to hear about the passing of your son. We lost our oldest son last December.
I retired in October 1999 from the navy after just over 30 years. I took 15 months off to get reacquainted with my family.
I then went and decided to drive OTR. After 2 1/2 years I finally decided it was time to go home for good.
Now I spend everyday with the love of my life of 43 years. We are able to do what we want when we want. I have had the opportunity to retired 2 times and be totally debt free.
There are many places to see and things to do. We plan our trips a year out and at times we just load up the rv with our two dogs and cat and head for parts unknown. The spur of the moment trips are the best.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats on the upcoming retirement! We retired in 2010 and I haven't been bored one minute since! I've always got projects waiting to be done, some mine, some hers!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:47 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
We retired at 50 & 55, got married and moved out of MIA to the Ozarks in 2001.
Purchased our 1st class A and don't know how we ever had time for a job. Told our ole ex-boss if we knew retirement was this much fun we'ed have done it sooner. Every day is a new advantage with no yard work, HDL etc.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:09 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are some good people left in this world. I got an email from the Air Force Civilian Personnel Center yesterday, and they asked if I was sure I wanted to retire Aug 01. I said something was up for them to call. She explained if I retire Aug 1, my benefits won't start until Sept 01. So, Jul 31 is the new "release me to go party" date :lol:

Old 06-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Not much to add, except remember this thread?

Well, 43 total days, 24 working days, or so.

July 28 is just around the corner, and the Corvette I talked about is running, but not on the ground. It should be on the ground in a few weeks, and hopefully in time to drive it to work a few days before I retire.

Motorhome is fueled up, fishing rods are loaded, new jigs and lures are in the tackle box, the sand car is in the enclosed trailer, ready to go. I think I'm about ready to write this next chapter, real slow......hahaha