Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2016, 09:44 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
It's almost here.....

At the ripe young age of 12, I started working for retirement. I picked cotton, just outside Rockingham, NC, and then picking tobacco for a season or so. I've been a projectionist, a foundry line worker, and paperboy. None of which lasted very long, as a lot of kids do growing up. At 18 I signed paper, and raised my right hand and took the oath of enlistment. Boot camp in Texas, on to Sheppard AFB for job training, where I met my now wife. We met the last day of May,. and said "I do" July 16, 1975.

We were stationed together at Pope AFB, NC, then our first was born, and she decided to separate from the AF. On to many other bases, until our last assignment to Davis Monthan AFB, Tucson AFB in 1991, and retired 1995.

I got a position in civil service doing the same job as I had in the AF. But, I have decided to "drop paperwork" to retire, again. I'll be 60 in June and will retire for the second time.

It is very hard to get up every morning now.

Just 4 months remain......It's been a long, fruitful career.

It's almost here.....

Don't know what I'm going to do with my spare time. My favorite pastime is working. Gonna be hard to slow down........

BigBlockTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2016, 10:42 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Retired 10 years ago at age 60. Don't know where I ever found time to work. Seems like we are either on the road, fixing what broke last trip or, getting ready for the next trip.

Then there is the sticks and bricks upkeep, and now that I am retired the kids think I don't have enough to do so, they always seem to want help with some project of theirs.

Periodically I consider going back to work just so I can rest up!
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Congratulations Tank. I joined the USAF in 1974 and retired in 1999. I've worked at two different colleges since then and recently have been contemplating when to retire. I'll probably be joining you shortly.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockTank View Post
At the ripe young age of 12, I started working for retirement. I picked cotton, just outside Rockingham, NC, and then picking tobacco for a season or so. I've been a projectionist, a foundry line worker, and paperboy. None of which lasted very long, as a lot of kids do growing up. At 18 I signed paper, and raised my right hand and took the oath of enlistment. Boot camp in Texas, on to Sheppard AFB for job training, where I met my now wife. We met the last day of May,. and said "I do" July 16, 1975.

We were stationed together at Pope AFB, NC, then our first was born, and she decided to separate from the AF. On to many other bases, until our last assignment to Davis Monthan AFB, Tucson AFB in 1991, and retired 1995.

I got a position in civil service doing the same job as I had in the AF. But, I have decided to "drop paperwork" to retire, again. I'll be 60 in June and will retire for the second time.

It is very hard to get up every morning now.

Just 4 months remain......It's been a long, fruitful career.

It's almost here.....

Don't know what I'm going to do with my spare time. My favorite pastime is working. Gonna be hard to slow down........
I think you are a lucky person to be able to retire and most likely have 2 pensions. I too am your age and look forward to being able to do this but all I have is my 401K that I have been working hard to get up there only to watch it tank too often as it has done now. I am sick of the work routine and dealing with customers who are demanding and painful and just want to get away from all of it. Good luck with your adventure.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:46 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I retired the first time at 51 and I'm now 69 and really want to retire again! But, many things enter into that decision. DW has inoperable liver cancer so at some point I'm going to have to quit to take care of her. Right now working is more of an excuse to get out of the house.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:51 AM   #6

I bagged work in 1998 at 57, having spent far too much time flying (as a passenger) to the Islamic world for Boeing. When Boeing and McDonnell-Douglas merged, one of the first things that happened was cancellation of Business Class tickets on overseas trips. 23 hours with a change after 12? Not for me. They wouldn't assign me to a domestic or Canadian customer so I bailed.

Regrettably, funds no longer permit the RV lifestyle, so I enjoy it vicariously by reading this site.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:05 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Frank:
Sorry that you had to give up the RV life! I'm the opposite, I'd sell our house and move into the RV before I'd give it up!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Tank. Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. I retired two years ago and initially was bored. But a friend told me that after a while you'll wonder where you had the time to work a job. It's true, I think I'm more active now then when I worked.

Best of luck and Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:55 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I retired at 33 from the AF (medical) in 2014 and am now a stay at home dad with the three kids. I was told to get a hobby by my wife and went back to school on my GI bill to learn Diesel engines. I think I do more in one day retired than I did a week active duty (unless I was deployed) between karate, Girl Scouts, soccer, and what ever is going on at the school. I am looking forward to getting back to work when the youngest starts school, life will be much easier then.

Good luck on your retirement!
Old 02-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you all for your positive comments. I'm apprehensive, due to the money, I do have 2 pensions, but the newest one coming isn't going to be enough for a RV payment.
My wife is a gubment employee, and retired almost 2 years ago. She was forced to retire, they closed her HUD office here in Tucson.
I am in the middle of rebuilding our 69 big block Corvette (hence the name), and plan to finish it in a month or so. I saved for 6 years to be able to get all the parts ahead of time, to get this done.

To all that served this great country, thank you from the bottom of my heart. For the rest, thank you for your support of our troops.

BigBlockTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockTank View Post
Thank you all for your positive comments. I'm apprehensive, due to the money, I do have 2 pensions, but the newest one coming isn't going to be enough for a RV payment.
My wife is a gubment employee, and retired almost 2 years ago. She was forced to retire, they closed her HUD office here in Tucson.
I am in the middle of rebuilding our 69 big block Corvette (hence the name), and plan to finish it in a month or so. I saved for 6 years to be able to get all the parts ahead of time, to get this done.

To all that served this great country, thank you from the bottom of my heart. For the rest, thank you for your support of our troops.
Nice Vette, hopefully you will put up some pics of it. One of the things my wife and love are the good old muscle cars.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:11 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did twenty for the AF then another thirty five in my own business, now I'm retired to about twelve to sixteen task hours a day except when traveling. You'll get used to it.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:20 PM   #13

I retired from the Air Force after 30 years and then retired again after 15 years in civilian aviation. I also wonder when I had time to work, been so busy doing volunteer work for state parks and the U,S, Army Corps of Engineers. Congrats on your retirement and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
georgew48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:47 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tank,

First of all, Thank You for Your Service! I Love my Freedom!

I have a lot of patients say to me that they don't know where they had the time to work because they are so busy now they are retired. I see it said here also. I think you are going to be fine because just like in working life, those who want to work will find something to do and those who do NOT want to work will hide from work.

Sounds like you look for things to do and you will find them. Check out a organization called Liberty Farms. They help wounded disabled Veterans. Might interest you. July 4th a bunch of people on here are going down to Oklahoma to help build this program up. I would love to go but still work.

There are all sorts of programs and organizations that need help. Good luck and enjoy yourself. Look at used rigs out of PPL Motorhomes out of Texas. You may find something you can afford.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote