Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2016, 07:51 PM   #15

We've been talking about full time RVing for almost 10 yrs. my wife is 51 & I'm 49. Neither one of us have any real retirement to speak of anymore . We took a big hit when the economy dived . No pensions, wife has some 401k money . The idea of waiting till we're 65 seems pointless . When we really think about it, what are we really waiting for? The day when we're sitting around looking at each other wondering why we never did it ?
So, we are shooting for 2017 to become gypseys.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2016, 07:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Jen,

I retire in July of 2017. Started looking at MHs almost 2 years ago. Researched and walked through and looked on line at model after model.

May 5, 2015 we bought a 2004 Winnebago Itasca 33 ft 1 slide Class A MH. I just couldn't see waiting any longer. We planned to wait until I retired but I just couldn't.

The reason to wait? Save more money, not waste money on insurance and storage and gas, and camping.

The reason not to wait? Fun, time spent together, but mostly the following. I work in the medical field. I have been at bedside to many times to count to hear a physician tell a family that their loved one just passed. The family, spouse then say something like this: "But, we were going to go to the Grand Canyon, on a cruise, to see my sister/brother." They were going to do something when the time was right. The time was right when they were thinking about it.

When you wait you risk NEVER being able to do "whatever". We have only taken a few trips but we had fun, we cooked meals together, took a walk, drank wine together. We smiled and sighed, and told each other we loved each other. It was all better because we were camping.

The rig can be sold if we decide to buy another, Right now we plan to keep it. We have a long trip planned this summer and I look forward to spending time with my husband. Don't wait, money comes and goes and if you can buy the class C now, go have fun, drink a glass of wine, and tell him you love him. Spend time together camping. Watch a sunset or sunrise together!

Lynne
Lynne,

I had a tear of joy in my eye reading your post. You are so right, the time is right when we are thinking about it. I want to be out there now, driving to the beach, to that football game, taking the young hockey players to the tournament and enjoying the ride now. I want to talk to other RVers out there , and it doesn't mater if I have a Class C for now rig or the my dream used Dutch Star I think of every day. I need to do some thing now, and enjoy the life Gary and I have worked so hard to make possible.

I hope to find the right one by spring. We are going on a cruise out of Galveston in April and taking the RV down in stead of the car would be great. I will have fun, drink some wine and tell Gary I love him from the beach watching the sunrise by our RV!

Thanks,
Jen

G-JLD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:56 PM   #17

Ditto on the "do it now". You are already missing out on a lot of going and doing fun. I retire in a few months and DW in three years. We started looking for our road rig last year and bought the new Sprinter in Sept and just bought the new Ram 2500 last month. We are members of a camping club that get together 5 or 6 times a year plus our other weekends and such for just the two of us give us a lot of opportunities to enjoy the rig an the outdoors. The only thing I would question is not getting at least one slide. They are usually pretty dependable if cared for and make a Huge difference on usable floor space. I personally wouldn't have a unit without one. Ours has 3 and what a difference. Good luck and remember life is not a rehearsal.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:28 AM   #18

Jen, If you find something around my area PM me and I'll go check it out for ya. Any excuse to jump on the motorcycle is a good one.
You probably know how to do this but if not here a search that can help;just copy and paste into google.

site:craiglist.org Tioga class c

After having ours we would definitely prefer a slide in the sitting area.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:28 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are lucky enough to be able to have a beautiful class A, before we retire and use it with our family to enjoy all sorts of things. I firmly believe that the reason I have such great, motivated and well rounded kids is that we spent every weekend with them in our motorhome while they were growing up. We went from trailer to class C and finally our class A. I am putting off our DP until retirement as I want the latest technology to go into retirement with. The purchase of a used class C in the price range you are looking at will greatly reduce the hit of depreciation and allow you to enjoy the lifestyle now while still keeping the dream of your Dutchstar alive and well. I truly think you will be happier in retirement with the dutchstar. So enjoy now and later! I would look into a fulltime address in another state such as South Dakota when you finally decide to buy the Dutchstar as you should be able to save a lot in taxes.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Jen, If you find something around my area PM me and I'll go check it out for ya. Any excuse to jump on the motorcycle is a good one.
You probably know how to do this but if not here a search that can help;just copy and paste into google.

site:craiglist.org Tioga class c

After having ours we would definitely prefer a slide in the sitting area.
Im thinking about going to Oklahoma City this Saturday and looking at what the Rv dealer there have. Gary wanted to cruise down in the Harley but I think its too cold, so I voted for the car. Been looking at what they have listed on some websites and there are some we would like to see. If I find something that realy interests us in your area that would be super cool if you could do a quik look to see if it is even worth a drive.

I saw this on Craigslist, going to call and get more info:

2000 Georgia boy Motorhome Ford

While looking on line and at craigslist ads, I find the asking prices are all over the place compaired to NADA values. I know each rig has its own valve based on the condition its in, but some are double what NADA list Should I not even compair to NADA?
Old 02-03-2016, 09:07 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
We are lucky enough to be able to have a beautiful class A, before we retire and use it with our family to enjoy all sorts of things. I firmly believe that the reason I have such great, motivated and well rounded kids is that we spent every weekend with them in our motorhome while they were growing up. We went from trailer to class C and finally our class A. I am putting off our DP until retirement as I want the latest technology to go into retirement with. The purchase of a used class C in the price range you are looking at will greatly reduce the hit of depreciation and allow you to enjoy the lifestyle now while still keeping the dream of your Dutchstar alive and well. I truly think you will be happier in retirement with the dutchstar. So enjoy now and later! I would look into a fulltime address in another state such as South Dakota when you finally decide to buy the Dutchstar as you should be able to save a lot in taxes.
We want the lastest technology my budget can buy when we retire also, so waiting till then to buy is our plan too. That a great point about buying a Class C in the 15K range, and not a huge depreciation. I would be fine with spending 15K and 3 years later selling for 10K, or what ever the value would be.

South Dakota address is the plan when we sell the house, Kansas tax is bad for RVs. A Dutch Star (or equivalent) is going to be are preference for full timing for sure.

Last night we had a long talk and we are for sure getting something now, so we can enjoy now and move up later.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:22 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-JLD9 View Post
I saw this on Craigslist, going to call and get more info:

2000 Georgia boy Motorhome Ford
The Georgia boy looks ok on the ad. I did a quick search on the phone number and found 5 or 6 cars for sale. So even though this could be legit it's likely the seller buys and sells. So take "owner" with a grain of salt. If you get a hold of them I will go by before this weekend if I get a chance.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:43 AM   #23

I know this isn't Class C and it's a little high....

I wonder if this really is one owner and been kept inside the whole time?

2000 motorhome
Old 02-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
The idea of waiting till we're 65 seems pointless . When we really think about it, what are we really waiting for? The day when we're sitting around looking at each other wondering why we never did it ?
My thought's exactly. Most co-workers at my place retire late 60's early 70's....I think some are saving for a more upper class nursing home experience . Both me and my wife came from RVing families. I knew early on I was going to retire before age 55...Hell or high water (yes, pension cut 50%, health care doubled in the last 5 years....) Well, I got 71 work days left (age 53), and off to Alaska June 1st...weeeee...

Back to the OP, By that class A or C now, but I would keep it in the back of your mind, that this one might be the one you full time in....What about a older DP. say 2000-2004 ($30-60k). If your going to pull a toad, you want the power to pull it. Even a class C with the V-10 might be a little under powered at some point. Buying it now will give you time to work out any kinks, do upgrades...or change your mind totally on what will "fit" your full-timing life style. Too bad you can't avoid your states high ownership purchase fees and taxes. Glad we don't have those in Ohio.

The last 15 years we have camped 50-60 nights a year. In retirement, besides going to AK. this summer, we plan a bunch of 2-4 week trips to places on my bucket list: National Park of CO. & UT., UP of MI., Nova Scotia, 1000 Islands, Maine,
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:43 AM   #25

Keep in mind that those who mentioned going full-time early - before Medicare and having to pay fully for your insurance, be sure to investigate where you will domicile (mail forwarding service) because that address will be used for your medical insurance. It's getting very hard to find a reasonable priced policy that will allow you to travel and get medical. This is especially true of South Dakota which used to be popular with full-timers. There have been many posts on this subject. Years ago medical insurance wasn't difficult to obtain and easy to use, unlike today.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
The Georgia boy looks ok on the ad. I did a quick search on the phone number and found 5 or 6 cars for sale. So even though this could be legit it's likely the seller buys and sells. So take "owner" with a grain of salt. If you get a hold of them I will go by before this weekend if I get a chance.
Thanks for the info, I havent called yet. Im going to go look at this one since its close:

https://wichita.craigslist.org/rvs/5429198075.html
Old 02-03-2016, 12:36 PM   #27

MH looks pretty good in the pics.

Depending on how much you want to check out the generator.....
You can pick up a Kill-a-watt meter for 20 bucks at harbor freight. If you go when the temps are 40 or above and ask to see the generator run the A/C. Plug the meter in and see if the Volt/Freq is around 110/60 with a decent load.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-JLD9 View Post
So we have been reserching and learning so much on here about how to prepare for full time RV lifestyle, that my patients is wearing very thin on waiting and dreaming. We are still saving and planing on a DP in 3 years when we retire in summer 2019, but at least once a month I find my self saying "if we had a motorhome now, we could take that to (where ever the trip is to) and that would be great"

Thanks,
Jen
I say buy a small, low cost one now.

Do you have a vehicle that could tow a travel trailer? A small travel trailer probably would suit your needs until you retire.

You don't say if you RVd before. I've heard so many stories about people who spend a large amount of $ on a new class A, have it for 1 year and sell it because the RV life really wasn't for them.