Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2016, 10:23 AM   #1

Its getting hard to wait the 3 more years till retirement, going to buy something now

So we have been reserching and learning so much on here about how to prepare for full time RV lifestyle, that my patients is wearing very thin on waiting and dreaming. We are still saving and planing on a DP in 3 years when we retire in summer 2019, but at least once a month I find my self saying "if we had a motorhome now, we could take that to (where ever the trip is to) and that would be great"

We originally decided not to buy anything untill closer to retirement and just save money for the RV we really want. But I know now that even before retirement we would use it at least once a month. So Gary got an unexspected check from his late uncle who passed away almost 2 years ago. This was his favorit uncle who would snow bird in AZ every year, and who told us to get an RV now and enjoy life. I guess his uncles kids were trying to protest the gift the uncle had gave to Gary in the will, so Gary had no idea untill this week when he got a letter. Any way, so Gary and i both feel we should spend the money on a RV and enjoy now like his uncle said.

So the trips we would be using it for is football games, away youth hockey games, annual drive to Galveston for a cruise, and going to the lake. We would almost always be taking freinds and my frieds 2 kids on the trips. We have had a Class C, 5th wheel and Class A gaser in the past, and we feel a Class C would work great. I like that Class C has 2 cockpit doors, and a sleeping area above the cockpit for kids. But I have reserched so much on just Class A DP that I really dont know what makes/modles are good in the Class C world.

So here is what we are looking for:
-15K to spend and 5k for sales tax, registation, personal property tax KS, and if we need to fix or upgrade stuff.

-Liking a Class C 28-32 foot with bed above cockpit, booth dinnet that turns in to bed and jack-knife sofa, rear queen bed

-prefer no slides, just less to maintain

-we want a generator

Im a mechanic and Gary is very handy with renovations, so no worries with doing repairs our self.

What makes modles would be good to look at and what should we avoid?

Thanks,
Jen
G-JLD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2016, 10:37 AM   #2

I would recommend that you save that money and add to it when you retire to buy a more stable RV for full-timing. $15,000 is going to get you an older one. By waiting, you can get a more suitable one.

However, if you really want to RV now then definitely spend it. In three years you might not even want to full-time anymore.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:39 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
While full timing for 11 years we saw a few full timers in Class Cs but a whole lot more that started with one and moved to a Class A. Some issues were lack of storage, lack of cargo weight capacity and limits on towing weight.
Can you full time in a class C ? Sure - we met people that full timed in vans and slide-in pick up campers, but it sure wouldn't work for most folks.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:46 PM   #4

We have thought about adding it to the Dutch Star fund (thats what we call our DP fund) but we feel we have more saved then we want to spend on a good used DP already. But more never hurts. Since this is money we didn't know we would have, it would be cool to get some thing now and get out there and travel.

It is a good opportunity to see where we will like to travle and see. Meeting other out there that full time and ask questions will help us alot.

Im pretty sure we will not full time in a class C and just sell or trade when it time to buy a different one for full timing.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:52 PM   #5

If you are RV people I can't see waiting 3 long years until you retire to get out and enjoy things. I can't even wait the 3 months from December- February to camp. Why not up your budget a bit now and get most of what you want and enjoy it. Maybe a Class A gas? If you don't fulltime it will probably fit the bill. If you do end up full timing at least you can start in a Gas class A with toad.
A lot of Folks who wait for that magical retirement day end up with more road blocks stopping them from doing what they want (Sick spouse, doctors appointments, grandkids, etc.)
My wife and I are almost 30 years away from retirement age and we can't imagine not having some sort of rv to use on weekends etc...
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:54 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We bought 1998 Tioga Class C.

After genset repairs, new floor, complete solar system, etc. we are in it for about 12K.

We love it and this is to get me by until retirement in 2020.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rv Arcadia.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	118000  
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:59 PM   #7

Why not just buy the Dutch Star now ??

Why put off tomorrow, what you can do today ??

I read threads all the time about people who are "gonna" buy their RV in 1, 2 or 3 years.. I really don't understand that logic AT ALL... if the RV lifestyle is in your blood, then why wait??

We purchased our "now" rig and we thoroughly enjoy shopping for our retirement rig.. and having the RV now just further cements the fact this is what we want to do in the future...

It sounds like you will use an RV more than enough to justify having one.. its not like you're gonna "use it up" if you buy it now.. and it appears you're looking at a quality rig (Dutch Star)... So, go for it... but, go BIG or GO HOME... buy that Dutch Star now and start enjoying your "pre" retirement years !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:59 PM   #8

I posted this a while back. Something to think about.....

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/all-b...se-274288.html
Old 02-02-2016, 04:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
If you are RV people I can't see waiting 3 long years until you retire to get out and enjoy things. I can't even wait the 3 months from December- February to camp. Why not up your budget a bit now and get most of what you want and enjoy it. Maybe a Class A gas? If you don't fulltime it will probably fit the bill. If you do end up full timing at least you can start in a Gas class A with toad.
A lot of Folks who wait for that magical retirement day end up with more road blocks stopping them from doing what they want (Sick spouse, doctors appointments, grandkids, etc.)
My wife and I are almost 30 years away from retirement age and we can't imagine not having some sort of rv to use on weekends etc...
We lived in a 5th wheel for 18 months when we first got married in 2006, but bought a lake house and sold it. It was great and easy living, and do miss the simplicity of it. So we are RV people and miss our class A we sold in 2011. It was a 1997 Four Windy Infinity and was perfect for tailgating, but when gas was OMG pricy and the Huskers moved to the Big 10 we decided to sell it.

If we bought the used Dutch Star now the tax and personal property tax, and registration here in KS on a 75-100K rig would suck. A 40 foot rig would be too big to take to some games. But probably the biggest reason I want a older used Class C is when we have people and kids running in and out of it, a little wear and tear is inevitable and will not bother me on a 15K MH that is not our full time home.

Your right about some times when you try to wait for the perfect retirement date, that some people don't make it. So we need to get something now and enjoy.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
We bought 1998 Tioga Class C.

After genset repairs, new floor, complete solar system, etc. we are in it for about 12K.

We love it and this is to get me by until retirement in 2020.
Some thing like this would be perfect for us and what we are going to be doing until we retire. Not too many Class C for sale around here, so we may have to venture out more south toward Texas to have more to look at.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
Why not just buy the Dutch Star now ??

Why put off tomorrow, what you can do today ??

I read threads all the time about people who are "gonna" buy their RV in 1, 2 or 3 years.. I really don't understand that logic AT ALL... if the RV lifestyle is in your blood, then why wait??

We purchased our "now" rig and we thoroughly enjoy shopping for our retirement rig.. and having the RV now just further cements the fact this is what we want to do in the future...

It sounds like you will use an RV more than enough to justify having one.. its not like you're gonna "use it up" if you buy it now.. and it appears you're looking at a quality rig (Dutch Star)... So, go for it... but, go BIG or GO HOME... buy that Dutch Star now and start enjoying your "pre" retirement years !!
Every time I look at Class C for a now rig, I always wonder over to the DP. We often talk about buying the Dutch Star now but it wouldn't fit for what we are going to be using it for now. My full time floor plan would be different then the now rig for tailgating, sleeping 6 people, and kids running in and out. But trust me, its never off the table to buy the Dutch Star now, LOL.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:57 PM   #12

I'm in a similar situation. Retiring in 2019, wanting to experience the RV lifestyle once I retire. We have been trying to learn what we can and originally planned to buy the rig in 2018. Well, we couldn't wait. During one of our many window shopping excursion we came across a nice class c 24' and bought it in October. Now we are using it every opportunity we have and I think we caught the fever. All I can think of is where will my next short adventure start and wanting them to be longer. I'm learning a lot about the rig and lifestyle with these short trips which will help for the first retirement phase which will consist of multi-month trips around the country. The second phase I see would be full timing for most of the year in a larger rig at some point in the future if it still feels right. As previously said above, don't wait. Enjoy it now. We have no regrets buying ours earlier than originally "planned"
SpaceCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:32 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
buy it now

Jen,

I retire in July of 2017. Started looking at MHs almost 2 years ago. Researched and walked through and looked on line at model after model.

May 5, 2015 we bought a 2004 Winnebago Itasca 33 ft 1 slide Class A MH. I just couldn't see waiting any longer. We planned to wait until I retired but I just couldn't.

The reason to wait? Save more money, not waste money on insurance and storage and gas, and camping.

The reason not to wait? Fun, time spent together, but mostly the following. I work in the medical field. I have been at bedside to many times to count to hear a physician tell a family that their loved one just passed. The family, spouse then say something like this: "But, we were going to go to the Grand Canyon, on a cruise, to see my sister/brother." They were going to do something when the time was right. The time was right when they were thinking about it.

When you wait you risk NEVER being able to do "whatever". We have only taken a few trips but we had fun, we cooked meals together, took a walk, drank wine together. We smiled and sighed, and told each other we loved each other. It was all better because we were camping.

The rig can be sold if we decide to buy another, Right now we plan to keep it. We have a long trip planned this summer and I look forward to spending time with my husband. Don't wait, money comes and goes and if you can buy the class C now, go have fun, drink a glass of wine, and tell him you love him. Spend time together camping. Watch a sunset or sunrise together!

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:20 PM   #14

what she said! ^^^^