Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
It's not just a 3 day weekend!

Remember this weekend to honor the fallen who's death(s) secured your rights to celebrate.

Fly the American flag!

DG
LtCol USAF Ret
--------------------------------
Bosnia 94, 97
Southern Watch 98, 99
Northern Watch 2000
Iraq War - Tallil, Kirkuk 2003
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	376.1 KB
ID:	39460  
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #2

I put up a cotton flag this weekend and for the 4th. (In addition the normal one)

This is still the best country.

Thank you all.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
And don't forget that on Memorial Day that it is a real law to have a moment of silence at 3 pm. Yep some years ago Congress made that a law.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
That is the reality of it all.
LCDR (SCW), US Navy Supply Corps - Ret
navychop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #5

So many think this weekend is about time off & shopping sales. The OP is so correct that it is about those that have given their lives for the freedoms that we enjoy. God bless those warriors that enable us to live in such a great country. God bless America! If you can please support "Wounded Warrior Project". Thanks.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
Remember this weekend to honor the fallen who's death(s) secured your rights to celebrate.

Fly the American flag!

DG
LtCol USAF Ret
--------------------------------
Bosnia 94, 97
Southern Watch 98, 99
Northern Watch 2000
Iraq War - Tallil, Kirkuk 200''s3

I'm all for it, however, which "American" flag do you mean? The "America's" are vast, and include many countries including The United States Of America.

That's why the term "American Flag" is never seen in official printed literature, like the Flag Code of The United States, which refers to the Flag of the United States of America.

So that is the proper term for our flag, but other term's are also specific enough . . . Old Glory, U.S. Flag, Stars and Stripes, Ect are proper.

The term "American Flag" is not showing disrespect, I'm just saying that there are many that prefer the proper term, just as they fly "The Flag" in accordance with the "Code".

Just saying. . . but with over 20 years experience in the rating that was tasked to know all about "honors and ceremonies" in the Navy.

Ed
USN Ret
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ed - out of curiosity - which of the other 34 member "states" in the Organization of American States is celebrating Memorial Day this weekend? Perhaps Columbia or Mexico - maybe Peru?

I agree with the notion that history and ceremony are important. Proper flag display and treatment is definitely a must. But I don't think the reference to the OAS has much place in celebrating Memorial Day in these United States. Referring the American Flag as just that - or our flag - on this day of remembrance doesn't cross or apply to "the Americas" despite the fact that many of the other 34 "states" have benefited from our US blood and treasure. Point taken on respecting THE FLAG but as for the rest, pfft.

Respect to all who have gone before, previously served and are now in the service of our country. I salute you all.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
Fly the American flag!
Thanks...
Beautiful display of the flag in your photo. No confusion here. (Probably because of my background in the nation's oldest continuous seagoing service.)

My American Flag is also flying in honor of those that have given their all for this country, and in respect for all who have served. God Bless them one and all.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
I'm all for it, however, which "American" flag do you mean? The "America's" are vast, and include many countries including The United States Of America.

That's why the term "American Flag" is never seen in official printed literature, like the Flag Code of The United States, which refers to the Flag of the United States of America.

So that is the proper term for our flag, but other term's are also specific enough . . . Old Glory, U.S. Flag, Stars and Stripes, Ect are proper.

The term "American Flag" is not showing disrespect, I'm just saying that there are many that prefer the proper term, just as they fly "The Flag" in accordance with the "Code".

Just saying. . . but with over 20 years experience in the rating that was tasked to know all about "honors and ceremonies" in the Navy.

Ed
USN Ret
There's always one in a group....just like Cliff Claven from the barstool in Cheers
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ed, I will be flying my American flag this week-end as I do every day! Semper Fi service members past and present! Have a good and safe Memorial day, thanks for all you do!
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #11

Ed is simply trying to reiterate the code for the flag of the United States of America. And I for one believe he us correct.
No disrespect towards any fellow veterans. Thank you all for your service to this great country.
Sargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And I meant Ed no disrespect. But for me - I live in The America - not the americas. Hat tip to our members from Canada and the other "sates" in the group. But for me there is only 1 America and 1 American Flag. I doubt the other countries confuse their flag with ours or think of themselves as Americans.

That said, if many of those "states" had been stocks I'd have dumped them years ago for bad return on investment.

I thank Ed for his service and for carrying on the tradition of proper flag reference and treatment. I will pay my respects to the fallen with a moment of silence tomorrow.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #13

To our men and women of the armed services, Thank you, and to those that have fallen and given their lives, we must never forget !
Old 05-27-2013, 06:20 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers

Ed
USN Ret
Ed, Thanks for the education, and thank you and all veterans for their service to the United States of America. I like to use the appropriate terminology, and now I know what to call our great flag.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote