RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2018, 09:36 PM   #1

I've got a couple of questions

First question: This is our first ever RV so I don't know if this is normal or not. It seems like no matter which campground we stay in our water pressure is very low. We do have a water pressure regulator on it as we were told by the dealer we should always use one. We also use a whole unit blue filter (the kind you buy at Walmart) on the outside before water comes into our travel trailer. We are full timing so we change this filter about every 4-5 weeks. So is it the regulator that gives us the low water pressure? Or do campgrounds in general usually have poor pressure?

Second question: My husband's cousin are RVers too. The just returned from a trip out west through Arizona, Utah and I think Colorado. They said on a whim they started showing their senior citizen National Parks lifetime pass when they checked in and a couple of campgrounds gave them a 50% discount!!! She said it wasn't advertised but when the campgrounds asked if they had AAA, Good Sam's etc., they showed the Park pass and got a huge discount!!! Anyone else ever hear of this?

Well I'm sitting here trying to think of my 3rd question I had but I'm having a brain fart and it has flittered from my brain. LOL So I guess it's just these two questions for now.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2018, 09:39 PM   #2

If the campground water pressure is low, why not just fill your tank and use you own on board water pump. Unless you are staying for a long time, this would solve the problem. At least you could have a decent shower.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:43 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What pressure regulator are you using? Most of the small, inline ones reduce the flow too. You need a Watts style one made for homes to get good flow.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:54 PM   #4

National Park Pass or the Senior (lifetime) pass is why many people buy them. 50% OF CAMPING and free entrance to most national parks and many Corp of Engineer Parks
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:01 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If your pressure regulator looks like a piece of pipe with fitting at both ends that is most likely your problem, As Mr_D stated that type reduce pressure and volume. Do you know what pressure it's set at?
Old 07-12-2018, 10:03 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
What pressure regulator are you using? Most of the small, inline ones reduce the flow too. You need a Watts style one made for homes to get good flow.
and the inline pressure regulators sometimes get clogged with gunk which reduce flow even more. they generally can't be cleaned. here"s how to tell. disconnect the water hose from the rv, turn on the water supply and observe the flow out of the hose. turn off the supply, remove the in-line regulator, turn the water back on and observe. if the regulator us fouled the water flow will be greater. the park staff should know the water pressure they deliver.

unless you have a very old RV or are in a campground/RV park with exceptinally high water pressure you likely don't need the oressure regulator. generally the newer RVs can handle at least 60-psi. most parks will have much lower pressure.

Watts makes a line of reliable and adjustable regulators. check out https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:14 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Those small in-line so called regulators are not regulators but they restrict the flow. They reduce the pressure by reducing the volume and that's not what you want.

Get a regulator (about $35 to $40). When you hook up you'll know what the pressure really is and you can set it. It should be around 40 PSI.

There's one camp ground on our circuit that has pressures of over 100 PSI. That will/may blow fittings in most campers.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:17 PM   #8

I've got a couple of questions

My regulator went bad over time and reduced the flow quite a bit. Bought the same one again and flow was back to normal.
Name:   IMG_2486.JPG
Views: 45
Size:  47.5 KB
Jake21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Agree with the others - your problem is low flow volume, not campground pressure. Get a decent regulator, one that is rated for at least 3 gpm (gal/minute). I'd get one with a pressure gauge too, just so I knew the status.

https://www.amazon.com/Esright-Press...dp/B075RRCWGD/

I've not heard of private parks honoring the NPS Senior discount card, but some states and local parks give senior discounts and may accept the Senior Card as proof that you qualify. Doesn't cost anything to ask...
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think I'd go to a campground and establish the fact that you have low flow at that campground.

I would then remove the exterior whole unit blue filter and test the water flow to see if it increased.

If not then I would remove the pressure regulator and test again.

You will now have a better idea of what is or isn't causing the problem. There are other things that will cause low pressure if indeed the campground pressure is good.

I carry a water pressure testing gauge and my regulator is set at 60 pounds.

I suggest you purchase a testing gauge if removing both regulator and filter doesn't cure the problem.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:04 PM   #11

Being that you are from Colorado, the water can be very hard. This can clog all kinds of places in the rig.
When in the Southwest, we used 2 whole house filters and a water softener. It keeps flow up, and even dissolved the mineral deposits on the faucet screens!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:59 PM   #12

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Looks like we will be in the market for a new regulator. The one we have was the one given to us at the time we picked up our new TT last year. It's probably a cheaper brand/model so we'll upgrade with your suggestions.

As far as the National Park pass and getting 50% off at some campgrounds, the campgrounds they got the discount at were NOT in the National parks, they were privately owned. That's why I was so surprised. I had never heard of that, even out here in the west where National Parks abound. I know the pass will get you discounts within the park's campgrounds.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmrad View Post
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Looks like we will be in the market for a new regulator. The one we have was the one given to us at the time we picked up our new TT last year. It's probably a cheaper brand/model so we'll upgrade with your suggestions.

As far as the National Park pass and getting 50% off at some campgrounds, the campgrounds they got the discount at were NOT in the National parks, they were privately owned. That's why I was so surprised. I had never heard of that, even out here in the west where National Parks abound. I know the pass will get you discounts within the park's campgrounds.
Dmrad,
While it's highly possible that you MAY need a new regulator, we have been in many, many campground and RV parks that claimed is HIGH water pressure but, when tested, turned out to be not high at all. I have a pressure gauge that I keep in my wet bay. When a park claims HIGH water pressure, I test it. If it's high, as in say, 60 psi and above, the regulator goes on. If it's low as in say, 35 - 40, no regulator is used.

And as has been suggested, if it's that low of pressure, I just use their system to keep my tank topped off and, use my own water pump for all my water pressure needs in the coach. I have gotten considerably better showers using my pump than using many campground and RV parks water pressure. And no, I've never even come close to damaging any part of my plumbing by not using a regulator.

As for the "Geezer Pass" as we call it, we've never tried using it in any form of a private park or campground as we thought they'd just tell us no. Might have to try it and see what happens.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Agree with the others - your problem is low flow volume, not campground pressure. Get a decent regulator, one that is rated for at least 3 gpm (gal/minute). I'd get one with a pressure gauge too, just so I knew the status.

https://www.amazon.com/Esright-Press...dp/B075RRCWGD/

I've not heard of private parks honoring the NPS Senior discount card, but some states and local parks give senior discounts and may accept the Senior Card as proof that you qualify. Doesn't cost anything to ask...
I bought another one last year, after driving away and leaving the first one at a GA RV park.
As to using the onboard water tank when the CG has low pressure, a side benefit is it keeps your fresh water tank-ah, fresh.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote