Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-29-2015, 03:44 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
RandMcSam's Avatar
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
For several years I've heard complaints about Rand McNally GPS systems. You can now add me to that group. I have been using an RVND7710 for several years and it has had it'shortfalls. However, I have found that Rand McNally does listen to the reports of their errors. I have notified then several time that the Garden State Pkwy in New Jersey is not weight restricted for RVs. The GPS tries constantly to make you exit the road. I usually have to turn it off to avoid the nuisance.
Today was the last straw. Traveling across Illinois to Wisconsin I followed the instructions to I90-I94. I knew this was the way to go. However the GPS kept trying to make me get off at EVERY exit. I have no clue where I would have wound up if I had followed the instructions.
When I settled down at our CG for the night I checked all the settings thinking maybe it wasn't allowing freeways. Nope, all the settings were correct! I tried to reach Rand McNally and the recorded message said I'd have to call back during business hours mon-fri between 7am and 6pm.
No thank you!! Lesson learned.
Hi

I'd like to see if I can help. Please provide specifics on: specifications entered in the RV Info tab, your Preferences selected under the Route Tab, and the starting point and ending point of the trip described in your examples. Also, if you can provide the software version please, the software version will be found in the Contact & About section in Preferences.

We will investigate this with our GIS department and post a response when they have had a chance to review.

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Rand McNally
Manager
Product & Service Operations
RandMcSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2015, 04:18 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
RandMcSam's Avatar
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 204
Hi

I'm happy to answer any questions you folks may have.

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Rand McNally
Manager
Product & Service Operations
RandMcSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:41 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Nomad Mike's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Nomadic - Currently Near Lassen NF
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
What about RV Trip Wizard? Has anyone used that and is it worth it?
When I first looked because of your post, I wrote it off as the website is not very well done. When I went to the demo page, first they wanted to offer me a special gift but only if I took it at that moment. That's pretty low class and I might not consider it at all but now I am looking at a Youtube video of it and maybe it's not as bad as I thought.

Youtube
__________________
Luna was born in 2005 and is a Winnebago Journey 34H w/ CAT C7 350
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nomad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:54 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
CampDaven's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 14,453
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
GPS is just a tool. Like any tool, they're only as good as the person using them. I frequently use mine just for the moving map, as I generally know what roads I wish to take.

Yes. GPS simply reminds me of turns and such along a route I have selected.
Got the Garmin nuviCam LMT. Just another tool in the bag.
__________________
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:36 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montréal, QC
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcSam View Post
Hi

I'm happy to answer any questions you folks may have.

Thanks!
Hi RandMcSam,

I have the 7710, the french translation is far from perfect, I took a look at the files in the GPS but couldn't find the translation file, I guess it is embedded in the application. Any way to change some wording?

Except this, it works, the UI is a little bit slow which is my main complain.

Fred.
__________________
'94 Fleetwood Bounder 32H F53 (sold)
'06 Monaco Monarch 30PDD F53 ()
Magister54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:03 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
When I first looked because of your post, I wrote it off as the website is not very well done. When I went to the demo page, first they wanted to offer me a special gift but only if I took it at that moment. That's pretty low class and I might not consider it at all but now I am looking at a Youtube video of it and maybe it's not as bad as I thought.

Youtube
Like you Mike, I wasn't overwhelmed by their website, but the product looks pretty good. I have heard a few praise it and no one condemn it so it may be a good product. Right now we don't use our RV enough to warrant the membership, but perhaps in the next year or two it may prove to be worth the cost.

Ed
__________________
2011 Berkshire 390bh (traded) 2018.5 Entegra Aspire 44R on order
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:39 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
RandMcSam's Avatar
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magister54 View Post
Hi RandMcSam,

I have the 7710, the french translation is far from perfect, I took a look at the files in the GPS but couldn't find the translation file, I guess it is embedded in the application. Any way to change some wording?

Except this, it works, the UI is a little bit slow which is my main complain.

Fred.
Hi

I can help. Please provide any specifics on what you find not perfect about the French language translation. With your feedback I can create a ticket and request for an improvement.

Thanks!
__________________
Rand McNally
Manager
Product & Service Operations
RandMcSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:09 AM   #36
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,454
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcSam View Post
Hi

I'm happy to answer any questions you folks may have.

Thanks!
I travel US 31 north out of Indianapolis to South Bend several times a year, most recently 3 weeks ago. Large sections of this road is not recognized by my RM 7720. YES, I plug in my GPS to the dock monthly to get updates so don’t answer my question with a question about version of my load, etc. This road was under construction a few years ago but the work has been complete for some time, over a year. Lifetime maps mean nothing if they are not updated on some regular schedule. BTW, my iPad apple maps recognize the new road but not my 7720. I am using this as an example of the errors I have found and reported. Lets try driving south on I95 and out of the clear blue it tells me curve ahead and there is no curve or to make a “U” turn at my next available opportunity when I am driving in the correct direction on an interstate. I do not know how many times I am told my destination is on the left when in fact it is on the right. Whoever you are buying your map updates from you are getting ripped off!
Bottom line, I always have my wife double check my 7720 with her iPad because it can't be trusted! When I am driving alone I always feel uneasy using my 7720!
__________________
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:15 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montréal, QC
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Lets try driving south on I95 and out of the clear blue it tells me curve ahead and there is no curve
This... it happened to me dozens of time on the 401 when I was doing Montréal->Kingston, a lot of "curve ahead" but the highway is a straight line!
__________________
'94 Fleetwood Bounder 32H F53 (sold)
'06 Monaco Monarch 30PDD F53 ()
Magister54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:58 AM   #38
IC2
Senior Member
 
IC2's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magister54 View Post
This... it happened to me dozens of time on the 401 when I was doing Montréal->Kingston, a lot of "curve ahead" but the highway is a straight line!
It might be that the biggies like R-M and Garmin don't do map and information updates as well for Canada and something we suspected last year while in the Maritimes with our 5er
__________________
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:23 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
RandMcSam's Avatar
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
I travel US 31 north out of Indianapolis to South Bend several times a year, most recently 3 weeks ago. Large sections of this road is not recognized by my RM 7720. YES, I plug in my GPS to the dock monthly to get updates so don’t answer my question with a question about version of my load, etc. This road was under construction a few years ago but the work has been complete for some time, over a year. Lifetime maps mean nothing if they are not updated on some regular schedule. BTW, my iPad apple maps recognize the new road but not my 7720. I am using this as an example of the errors I have found and reported. Lets try driving south on I95 and out of the clear blue it tells me curve ahead and there is no curve or to make a “U” turn at my next available opportunity when I am driving in the correct direction on an interstate. I do not know how many times I am told my destination is on the left when in fact it is on the right. Whoever you are buying your map updates from you are getting ripped off!
Bottom line, I always have my wife double check my 7720 with her iPad because it can't be trusted! When I am driving alone I always feel uneasy using my 7720!
Hi,

Generally speaking, our first question is always to have the user confirm their software version. We do this because our devices are unconnected, and some users do not plug in often - as their phones, tablets, etc all update OTA without much fuss with cables, etc. I understand your frustration with a question being answered with a question, but wanted to give you a little background on why we ask that first. We also ask specifics on location so if we do in fact have a missing data point, road, etc. We can enter a ticket to our GIS department here at Rand for it to be updated in the next release.

The last full base map update was released on 1/27/15. As you update monthly, you surely received the nearly 4 gigabyte update. We do our very best to release an incremental update to that base map update every year. Our GIS team is hard at work on the next incremental update. Part of that work includes researching Tell Rand entries, customer support tickets, and user feedback from forums such as this one. As for US-31 from Plymouth to South Bend – At the time it open (late August 2014) we were already in our QA cycle for the base map update that occurred in late January of this year; thus the reason you don’t see it in the current update.

The curve warnings are based on where there is a sign on the road, which comes from the DOT. I’ll have our QA run a route on I-95, can you pinpoint a segment?

If you have specifics that are not outlined in your post, or have not already been submitted to Tell Rand I would be happy to research those for you.

I hope this helps.
__________________
Rand McNally
Manager
Product & Service Operations
RandMcSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:08 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Nomad Mike's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Nomadic - Currently Near Lassen NF
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
I travel US 31 north out of Indianapolis to South Bend several times a year, most recently 3 weeks ago. Large sections of this road is not recognized by my RM 7720. YES, I plug in my GPS to the dock monthly to get updates so don’t answer my question with a question about version of my load, etc. This road was under construction a few years ago but the work has been complete for some time, over a year. Lifetime maps mean nothing if they are not updated on some regular schedule. BTW, my iPad apple maps recognize the new road but not my 7720. I am using this as an example of the errors I have found and reported. Lets try driving south on I95 and out of the clear blue it tells me curve ahead and there is no curve or to make a “U” turn at my next available opportunity when I am driving in the correct direction on an interstate. I do not know how many times I am told my destination is on the left when in fact it is on the right. Whoever you are buying your map updates from you are getting ripped off!
Bottom line, I always have my wife double check my 7720 with her iPad because it can't be trusted! When I am driving alone I always feel uneasy using my 7720!
They all do this, and as I and others have said a GPS is one tool you have. Yes, some will work better than others on certain roads but the issues you have stated happen to them all. My car GPS constantly shows turns where it is just a curve in the freeway. My older Garmin loves to think I'm on city streets when I'm on the freeway above and wants me to make 'U' turns, or left/right turns on some street. That freeway is on Garmin's map so it's not an update issue and it had me on the freeway moments before. I just ignore it and wait until it catches up.

Can't you disable 'U' turns on the RM?

Also, since GPS devices rely on satellite signals the accuracy varies depending on how many and what type of satellites your picking up. It could be the difference between being on the freeway and the road below you. Why they cant remember I was on the freeway in the first place, we would have to ask the programmers.
__________________
Luna was born in 2005 and is a Winnebago Journey 34H w/ CAT C7 350
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nomad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:04 PM   #41
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,454
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
They all do this, and as I and others have said a GPS is one tool you have. Yes, some will work better than others on certain roads but the issues you have stated happen to them all. My car GPS constantly shows turns where it is just a curve in the freeway. My older Garmin loves to think I'm on city streets when I'm on the freeway above and wants me to make 'U' turns, or left/right turns on some street. That freeway is on Garmin's map so it's not an update issue and it had me on the freeway moments before. I just ignore it and wait until it catches up.

Can't you disable 'U' turns on the RM?

Also, since GPS devices rely on satellite signals the accuracy varies depending on how many and what type of satellites your picking up. It could be the difference between being on the freeway and the road below you. Why they cant remember I was on the freeway in the first place, we would have to ask the programmers.
I do not want to disable "U" turns, I do not want the GPS to tell me to make a "U" turn when I am traveling 65 MPH on I95 traveling in the correct direction! It warns me of curves when there are none for miles. This past weekend I was traveling on US 32 west from Winchester, OH to Newtown, OH and the RM kept wanting me to turn left off of US 32, why, I have no idea, it was a straight shot on 32 to Newtown! This happens from time to time and in most cases I am smart enough to ignor the RM but some times I find myself going down a road I do not feel comfortable driving on, through the residential neighborhoods with no place to turn around without unhook in the tow car.

I could go on and on but I think you get the idea. Garmin may not be any better but I will give it a try when this RM no longer works. No more RM for me!
__________________
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:51 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
RandMcSam's Avatar
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
I do not want to disable "U" turns, I do not want the GPS to tell me to make a "U" turn when I am traveling 65 MPH on I95 traveling in the correct direction! It warns me of curves when there are none for miles. This past weekend I was traveling on US 32 west from Winchester, OH to Newtown, OH and the RM kept wanting me to turn left off of US 32, why, I have no idea, it was a straight shot on 32 to Newtown! This happens from time to time and in most cases I am smart enough to ignor the RM but some times I find myself going down a road I do not feel comfortable driving on, through the residential neighborhoods with no place to turn around without unhook in the tow car.

I could go on and on but I think you get the idea. Garmin may not be any better but I will give it a try when this RM no longer works. No more RM for me!
Hi Jack & Karen,

I have entered trouble tickets for the I-95 and US-32 incidents you reference above. I’ll post our findings as soon as the ticket is resolved. Repeated U-Turns on a highway as you’ve described above are in no way normal behavior. The only instances I can think of where the router would repeatedly ask you to exit a highway is if that segment is restricted to vehicles with your parameters, or you are on a road that you’ve designated the router to avoid (eg: Tolls, Freeways, etc.). It does not appear the latter is what occurred, so I’ll put a request in for any possibly Class A (or any parameters under) that could have caused the reroute. Or it could have been a straight router cost preference. Either way, I’ll send an update when I have one.

Thanks,

RandMcSam
__________________

__________________
Rand McNally
Manager
Product & Service Operations
RandMcSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.