Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2015, 03:09 PM   #71

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I would like to know why I have to pay for map updates for my 5510 when all other models have free lifetime updates. I am NOT buying another model.
Hi,

Depending on when you purchased your device it may or may not have come with LTM. We've sent you a PM for more information to confirm.

Thanks.

RandMcSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2015, 03:15 PM   #72

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
I agree, when mine had the problem with me being on the inadvertently trailer restricted road mentioned earlier in tis thread, ,,,, it went like insane trying to get me off that road with no regard for where it was taking me in the reroute...... it tried to get me to take dirt roads, very narrow roads, etc etc.. It was on a mission to get me off that road.

I think in the code, when it works avoidances it doesn't consider the vehicle settings for the reroute? Possibly a code bug? It finds the next place it can reroute you and just sends you there, without checking limitations?

L.
Hi,

If you deviate from the route designated by the device it will do its very best to get you back onto the road you were on or the largest most suitable to your vehicle.

Helpful Tip: Try setting Recalculation to Manual for your next leg. Preferences > Route. The original route will hold so if you deviate for a short cut, fuel, pitstop, preferred route it will not recalculate.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:37 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcSam View Post
Hi,

If you deviate from the route designated by the device it will do its very best to get you back onto the road you were on or the largest most suitable to your vehicle.

Helpful Tip: Try setting Recalculation to Manual for your next leg. Preferences > Route. The original route will hold so if you deviate for a short cut, fuel, pitstop, preferred route it will not recalculate.
Thanks Rand! I will look at that.

But perhaps I didn't explain well. It appears, that once you do leave a route, and get to where the GPS is thinking you should not be.... (in my case a road that had a incorrect trailer limitation).......... the GPS recalculates and reroutes you to a safe route. And that makes total sense.

However, when it does so, it "appears" it does so with disregard for your vehicle limitations. In my case, it tried to send me down roads that were not at all acceptable in my rig. Some were dirt, one was extremely narrow etc etc. I think others have similar findings. Making u turns on the interstate, etc etc..

It would seem when rerouting, it is not applying the vehicle specifics? 40' rv, trailer, 32,000 lbs etc.

Thanks for all the help you have been providing! Fantastic to have you here on this site with us. I like the unit, just has a few "bugs". Thanks to your help I know why it insisted I reroute, but the reroutes were not appropriate.

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:00 PM   #74

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caninecop View Post
RandMcSam

I have the 7720 Rand McNally GPS, each time I plug the gps into my desktop computer I get the message corrupted device. I plug the same gps into my laptop computer it works just great.

To give you some background information, I have called the help desk and spent a great amount of time with them on trying to solving this problem. They took control of the computer and tried several processes to get it to work. This included removing the Rand McNally dock and reinstalling the dock.

They had me send the gps to them to look at. I got it back with a note letting me know that the gps was working find with no problems. That wasn’t a surprised for I had told them it was working great before I sent it to them to take a look at the gps.

I have did a search to see if I could find any programs that Rand McNally may have a conflict with but I couldn’t find any programs. If you or anyone has a suggestion on fixing the problem it would be greatly appreciated.
Hi

I can escalate the issue to a Tier 3 technician for further assistance. If so, please PM me your contact information and we can get in touch with you to help resolve this issue.

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:44 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by caninecop View Post
I agree with your post, the problem is finding what the issue is, the RM tech couldn't find it when he took control of the computer and I have not been able to find it
Sounds like you only addressed the problem from a software viewpoint and not that it's hardware. Call a computer store and see if they can check it.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:07 AM   #76

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Thanks Rand! I will look at that.

But perhaps I didn't explain well. It appears, that once you do leave a route, and get to where the GPS is thinking you should not be.... (in my case a road that had a incorrect trailer limitation).......... the GPS recalculates and reroutes you to a safe route. And that makes total sense.

However, when it does so, it "appears" it does so with disregard for your vehicle limitations. In my case, it tried to send me down roads that were not at all acceptable in my rig. Some were dirt, one was extremely narrow etc etc. I think others have similar findings. Making u turns on the interstate, etc etc..

It would seem when rerouting, it is not applying the vehicle specifics? 40' rv, trailer, 32,000 lbs etc.

Thanks for all the help you have been providing! Fantastic to have you here on this site with us. I like the unit, just has a few "bugs". Thanks to your help I know why it insisted I reroute, but the reroutes were not appropriate.

L.
When the device re-routes all routes should be taking into your account your pre-selected settings. If you are on a road it thinks is not legal instead of refusing to give a route at all it will attempt to find the next best option. If the only way is on a dirt road that doesn't have a restriction it may have to use it. But that shouldn't include u-turns on freeways. If you can provide an example where the roads provided were not legal routes, I can create a ticket and have the route evaluated and then follow up with you once I have been provided details on that route you are describing.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:22 PM   #77

This is a very good reason I do not use a GPS for routing or planning. We just finished a round trip from Indiana to Rapid City, S.D. and only time I used the GPS was to get to an address in Rapid City and it missed by several houses. We had to use all Interstates on way out, but used state and federal roads home. WE did not even have a paper map with us so I did use the maps on the GPS to see where we were as we had never used some of these roads before. We got home just fine. Just so you know we have been going to and from Rapid City since '78. First time because on a military reassignment.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:57 PM   #78

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
It was westbound on I-86/NY 17 between Corning and Bath. If memory serves me correctly (and it may not) it was near the truck parking area between those two towns.

I hope that helps.

Ed
Hello,

I have some feedback on the curve warnings you were describing traveling westbound on I-86. The curve warning at MM 160 is flagged on a very long link segment in our road data, but is trying warn of the curve right closer to MM 158. We have moved this curve warning on a shorter link segment that is closer to the actual curve. I think this is the one you're referring to near the truck parking area. It was across from a rest area. This change will be pushed with the next update. Thank you!

Rand McSam
Old 07-24-2015, 07:33 AM   #79

Thanks Sam. That is the one I was referring to.

I would imagine that something as complex as a GPS specifically for RV's would have to be a continuous work in progress.

Thanks for your input here on the forum. It is very helpful to those of us who have RM products.

Ed
Old 07-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #80

Yesterday I was traveling on US 35 heading out of Point Pleasant, OH and the speed limit changed to 70 MPH and the GPS showed the change. I was traveling @ 64 MPH but the GPS kept giving me a speed warning? This went on for several miles.

I do have a comment regarding announcing turn data or exit routing. Some exits or turn signs list several roads beyond the road you are to take and the GPS starts to chatter all the roads listed on the sign then it repeats these instructions several times in short order adding to the confusion at a busy intersections. This happened several times this past week when I was traveling in Va. Beach traveling on I264 and I64 highways. These roads and interchanges are already confusing enough without the GPS giving me information on roads that have nothing to do with my direction of travel.

I am only using Va. Beach as an example, it happens all the time prompting me to push the speaker button to turn it off because it is no longer directions, it is NOISE!
Old 07-24-2015, 10:34 AM   #81

Leaving Jackson Hole GPS wanted me to take hwy 22. Well, we had taken the Vette there and it was tight.

I always check with park workers about routes and use a map. I don't care for the GPS as a guide as it has steered us wrong many times.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:18 AM   #82

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Yesterday I was traveling on US 35 heading out of Point Pleasant, OH and the speed limit changed to 70 MPH and the GPS showed the change. I was traveling @ 64 MPH but the GPS kept giving me a speed warning? This went on for several miles.

I do have a comment regarding announcing turn data or exit routing. Some exits or turn signs list several roads beyond the road you are to take and the GPS starts to chatter all the roads listed on the sign then it repeats these instructions several times in short order adding to the confusion at a busy intersections. This happened several times this past week when I was traveling in Va. Beach traveling on I264 and I64 highways. These roads and interchanges are already confusing enough without the GPS giving me information on roads that have nothing to do with my direction of travel.

I am only using Va. Beach as an example, it happens all the time prompting me to push the speaker button to turn it off because it is no longer directions, it is NOISE!
Hi

The speed limit warning lapse upon posted limit change on US 35 in OH has been reported for evaluation by development. Iíll let you know what I hear back. The warning should change along with the posted speed as that is how itís designed.

Certain exits post multiple street names/interchanges etc.. By design, with Samantha set as the voice, when one of these exits are along your route you will hear all of what is displayed on the exit sign. Try changing the voice setting from Samantha to Claudia if Samantha is a bit too chatty. Claudia does not read off street names, interstates etc., but rather just the turn/exit ahead announcement. The drawback to changing to Claudia would be in areas where you are unfamiliar with the landscape, you might want a more robust explication/explanation of their next maneuver.

If your experience above was that streets not associated with the upcoming exit, say 2 miles down the road were being announced, that is another story and something we would have to research further.

You can change the voice under Preferences > General Tab > Voice Name.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:42 PM   #83

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty years View Post
Leaving Jackson Hole GPS wanted me to take hwy 22. Well, we had taken the Vette there and it was tight.

I always check with park workers about routes and use a map. I don't care for the GPS as a guide as it has steered us wrong many times.
Hi,

What we have found is that Highway 22 (Teton Pass) is restricted to 60,000 pounds and may have seasonal closings in the winter, but is not outright restricted to RVs. We’ve asked GIS to research further and look into average RV travel along this road. We have the ability to mark roads RV restricted but must first validate and vetted that change as well as its impact on all users.

RandMcSam
Old 09-14-2015, 03:00 PM   #84

We had some rather interesting problems with our RM 7720. We were headed to Hilton Head, SC from Terre Haute, IN. We use both the RM and a Garmin. The Garmin was giving us an arrival time that was almost a half an hour sooner than the RM. The RM told us to get off I-95 at SC 462 while the Garmin told us to take US 278. As we approached SC 462 we found that the road was closed and had been for some time. Nothing on the RM told us of the road closing and when we passed the exit and headed for US 278 the RM now had the same arrival time as the Garmin.

Even though we had programmed the fastest route, the RM insisted on taking us a route that was substantially longer in time for no apparent reason. This type of problem really distracts from the value of the unit.