Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2015, 01:36 PM   #85
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We too travel with a Garmin (Nuvi) and RVND7720. The 7720 should need a map update by this time...possibly 2 have been published since purchase of a 7720.

Unlike many Garmin models, map updates are free and included in RM GPS purchases since the 7720 (extra $ for the 7710).

Because of these mapping updates, our Garmin does similar things to the 7720's described above...so we always double check.

For this and other reasons, the Rand McNally is a superior device for us.

Safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2015, 08:46 AM   #86

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcSam View Post
Hi

I can escalate the issue to a Tier 3 technician for further assistance. If so, please PM me your contact information and we can get in touch with you to help resolve this issue.

Thanks.
I have exactly the same problem. Works on wifes laptop with windows 7, but not on my desktop with windows 8.1. As an aside I had a 7710, worked great, then the USB port went bad, and had to get a new "Good Sam 7735". I have had nothing but problems with routing and terrible directions. Now I have to check via another gps source and map before I rely on my 7735. Such a shame.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:49 AM   #87

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
We had some rather interesting problems with our RM 7720. We were headed to Hilton Head, SC from Terre Haute, IN. We use both the RM and a Garmin. The Garmin was giving us an arrival time that was almost a half an hour sooner than the RM. The RM told us to get off I-95 at SC 462 while the Garmin told us to take US 278. As we approached SC 462 we found that the road was closed and had been for some time. Nothing on the RM told us of the road closing and when we passed the exit and headed for US 278 the RM now had the same arrival time as the Garmin.

Even though we had programmed the fastest route, the RM insisted on taking us a route that was substantially longer in time for no apparent reason. This type of problem really distracts from the value of the unit.
+1.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:44 PM   #88

Just completed a 4,419 mile trip, S.C. to Arizona via I 40, all around Utah etc and back home across I 70. Our 7730 worked fine. Got a few times when it warned a right turn was coming (and it was a left) and vice versa, and on 2 occasions warnings about unpaved roads (that were paved) but it worked well.

We used it extensively to find campgrounds, travel centers etc and it all worked as designed. We went straight to each location without a hitch.

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:53 PM   #89

Monaco Owners Club
Updating programs and maps should be a regular occurrence for all gps users

Even then, sometimes it will do it's own thing, My bro-in-law returned his rand for a garmin... but he is not timely with his updates, so he does 'allow' me to help, by updating them for him

I have been a Garmin user for a very, VERY long time and while they have come a long way... still more to go IMHO...

This weekend our rv760 decided sat's are lost (it wasn't, it was just the satelites that were misplaced )
Old 09-22-2015, 03:52 PM   #90

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
We had some rather interesting problems with our RM 7720. We were headed to Hilton Head, SC from Terre Haute, IN. We use both the RM and a Garmin. The Garmin was giving us an arrival time that was almost a half an hour sooner than the RM. The RM told us to get off I-95 at SC 462 while the Garmin told us to take US 278. As we approached SC 462 we found that the road was closed and had been for some time. Nothing on the RM told us of the road closing and when we passed the exit and headed for US 278 the RM now had the same arrival time as the Garmin.

Even though we had programmed the fastest route, the RM insisted on taking us a route that was substantially longer in time for no apparent reason. This type of problem really distracts from the value of the unit.
Hi,

We will enter a ticket on this particular route to see what occurred. We update long term construction every 30 days (typically in the first 5 days of the month) on the Rand McNally Dock.

So, I've asked 2 questions in my ticket:
1. Why the preference to get on SC 462 with Fastest Entered
2. Check road closure.

I'll update the thread as soon as the ticket is updated.
RandMcSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:54 PM   #91

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwgirardi View Post
I have exactly the same problem. Works on wifes laptop with windows 7, but not on my desktop with windows 8.1. As an aside I had a 7710, worked great, then the USB port went bad, and had to get a new "Good Sam 7735". I have had nothing but problems with routing and terrible directions. Now I have to check via another gps source and map before I rely on my 7735. Such a shame.
Hi,

I'd like to assist if possible. Are you able to provide any specifics so I may attempt to recreate the issue?

Please let me know.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:57 PM   #92

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Just completed a 4,419 mile trip, S.C. to Arizona via I 40, all around Utah etc and back home across I 70. Our 7730 worked fine. Got a few times when it warned a right turn was coming (and it was a left) and vice versa, and on 2 occasions warnings about unpaved roads (that were paved) but it worked well.

We used it extensively to find campgrounds, travel centers etc and it all worked as designed. We went straight to each location without a hitch.

L.

If you happen to remember any of the text to speech errors we can certainly look into those.

Much like sharp curves, unpaved roads come from a database where a sign exists. We have done much to improve the dirt road and sharp curve warnings since the debut of our RV devices. You can always use Tell Rand or post here if you find an incorrect data point and we'll get a trouble ticket in for our GIS department to evaluate.

Thanks again!
Old 09-22-2015, 07:50 PM   #93

Jayco Owners Club
I use the WAZE app with my iPhone and it works great! The app is a crowd sourced platform which allows real time road conditions and updates as you go. No more updating software, and it will work of both gps and data connections. The real time traffic updates will alert you to road closures or backups and show you alternative routes to take. Also reports road hazards, police and anything else in your path as long as people are reporting. Oh did I mention it's free!
Old 09-22-2015, 08:35 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcSam View Post

If you happen to remember any of the text to speech errors we can certainly look into those.

Much like sharp curves, unpaved roads come from a database where a sign exists. We have done much to improve the dirt road and sharp curve warnings since the debut of our RV devices. You can always use Tell Rand or post here if you find an incorrect data point and we'll get a trouble ticket in for our GIS department to evaluate.

Thanks again!
Hi Rand!

Sorry, I didn't take note of where they appeared, was too busy enjoying the trip. In the future I will capture data, and share. If everybody did so we could get the map inconsistencies cleaned up. None of them were a big deal. Given the mileage we covered, number of locations we found, and number of turns negotiated it all worked very well.

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:40 AM   #95

RandMcSam,

I have the 7710 and 7720. When I updated the software this past spring of 2015 both units froze after the load, required a reset, and had to be placed in a window I assume so they could find the satellites before they would finally boot. I have each unit loaded with maybe 100000 POIs. The 7720 has worked fine all summer with the exception of POIs. I used the 7710 in the car for the first time late Aug and again in Oct for out of town trips. The 7710 was slow appeared to freeze often and I would get to the turns long before it would.

My question, is the original 7710 processor to old for the current software that is downloaded? Should I delete the POIs (freeing up memory), would that help? Should I just toss it? I see you still offer the 7710 so I am confused as to how mine is now operating. This has only happen since the 2015 spring updates.

Additionally I can no longer search my loaded POIs on the 7720. The GPS as I say is functioning properly but POI search along my rout goes off and never comes back

Both units were perfect before the update.

Frustrated
Old 11-09-2015, 09:50 AM   #96

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver007 View Post
RandMcSam,

I have the 7710 and 7720. When I updated the software this past spring of 2015 both units froze after the load, required a reset, and had to be placed in a window I assume so they could find the satellites before they would finally boot. I have each unit loaded with maybe 100000 POIs. The 7720 has worked fine all summer with the exception of POIs. I used the 7710 in the car for the first time late Aug and again in Oct for out of town trips. The 7710 was slow appeared to freeze often and I would get to the turns long before it would.

My question, is the original 7710 processor to old for the current software that is downloaded? Should I delete the POIs (freeing up memory), would that help? Should I just toss it? I see you still offer the 7710 so I am confused as to how mine is now operating. This has only happen since the 2015 spring updates.

Additionally I can no longer search my loaded POIs on the 7720. The GPS as I say is functioning properly but POI search along my rout goes off and never comes back

Both units were perfect before the update.

Frustrated
Hello

I'd like to get you in touch with someone who can answer your questions. I can connect you with a support technician who will help troubleshoot through issues you are experiencing and help provide a resolution. Please PM me your information and i'll pass it on to the Manager of Tech Support for further assistance.

Rand McSam
Old 11-12-2015, 05:03 AM   #97

I'm a pilot (VFR). I use my old Garmin 295 all the time in the airplane, but still use my sectionals to track myself on the ground.

Same with the auto GPS. I have a NUVI 1300, I use it a little for navigation, but mostly for the speedo function and "miles left to go". I still plan my routes and trips with a paper map.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:39 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by malexander View Post
I'm a pilot (VFR). I use my old Garmin 295 all the time in the airplane, but still use my sectionals to track myself on the ground.

Same with the auto GPS. I have a NUVI 1300, I use it a little for navigation, but mostly for the speedo function and "miles left to go". I still plan my routes and trips with a paper map.
Be very careful using the GPS for speed odometer function. 2 years ago I was traveling through southern Virginia and I was using the RM to give me info on speed because I had not seen a speed limit sign. A police office fell in behind me and followed for a short while then pulled me over for speeding. I was doing the speed limit per the Rand McNally but I was 10 miles over and got a ticket

I showed the police officer the GPS and I was following the speed limit. Her comment was, "I should follow the posted speed limit signs, not some GPS". I did see a sign a couple of blocks down the road after I pulled off but it was too late to save me from a ticket.

Since this time I have reported MANY incorrect speed limits to Rand McNally.