Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2015, 11:19 AM   #99
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Be very careful using the GPS for speed odometer function. 2 years ago I was traveling through southern Virginia and I was using the RM to give me info on speed because I had not seen a speed limit sign. A police office fell in behind me and followed for a short while then pulled me over for speeding. I was doing the speed limit per the Rand McNally but I was 10 miles over and got a ticket

I showed the police officer the GPS and I was following the speed limit. Her comment was, "I should follow the posted speed limit signs, not some GPS". I did see a sign a couple of blocks down the road after I pulled off but it was too late to save me from a ticket.

Since this time I have reported MANY incorrect speed limits to Rand McNally.

I am CONSTANTLY reporting incorrect speed limits!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #100

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I have a Garmin in the toad, and a RM in the rig. Both are not accurate regarding speed limit signs. With that said, I understand that fact since the local, county and state governments seem to change the limits all the time. If you expand that too the entire country, I would imagine the GPS people have a mountain of paper waiting to input changes.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:54 AM   #101

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, I have two Garmins: one in the coach (RV model) and one in the tow car for local touring.

They are fine if you keep the maps updated. There are generally 4 updates per year. As well as adding new roads, etc. the update often takes care of incorrect speed limits.

The RV Garmin definitely has a different algorithm. One time when going to a destination in a city (who knows what or where), my wife was driving the tow car and I was driving the coach. My wife was given a different, faster, route than I was given. But when we looked it over later, the route I was given was far more RV friendly. In other words, a good job by the Garmin.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:17 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Be very careful using the GPS for speed odometer function. 2 years ago I was traveling through southern Virginia and I was using the RM to give me info on speed because I had not seen a speed limit sign. A police office fell in behind me and followed for a short while then pulled me over for speeding. I was doing the speed limit per the Rand McNally but I was 10 miles over and got a ticket

I showed the police officer the GPS and I was following the speed limit. Her comment was, "I should follow the posted speed limit signs, not some GPS". I did see a sign a couple of blocks down the road after I pulled off but it was too late to save me from a ticket.

Since this time I have reported MANY incorrect speed limits to Rand McNally.

I don't use it for seeing what the speed limit is (I don't think mine does that). I use it see how fast I'm going. Some of my vehicle's speedometers are pretty close to the GPS one.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:38 PM   #103

GPS

I have used a Gramin RV 760 LMT. for 3 years crossing the United States.
I found that you must update about every 6 months and make sure you have it
set up for your motorhome. Watch out for shortest distance it can take you
through the middle of a little town not made for large RV'S. I only did that once
and learned a valuable lesson. We use KOA campgrounds and there is an app
with driving directions. We alson check with hard copy of maps.
You may also stop at the states tourist information center and get a hard copy
of their state map. Also you can explore that states Department of Transportation, Example ( FDOT) for Florida there is valuable information there. The seperate states have a habit of moving, changing name of roads.

Hope it helps,
Cauffield64
Old 11-16-2015, 04:27 PM   #104

I like stopping at the rest area/information centers just as we cross a state line (usually on the interstate). Pick up a free map, and whatever else sort of stuff they have. OH, and sometimes, a free cup of coffee.