Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
As far as the rears, not ok to be off the ground, but the fronts being ok. I never knew that. Sounds good, I just don't understand the logic or reasoning. Anyone care to explain it and educate me a little more.
Rear tires never off the ground: the parking brakes act only on the rear tires, if they're off the ground the rig can roll.
Front tires: notice I checked with the manufacturers of the rig and front end components. One I did that and got everyones OK then I did it but not until. I wouldn't do it without getting the OK from all of them.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

As for ONE FRONT wheel being off the ground.. The myth is that the suspension is designed to hold up thousands of pounds of motor home will have issues supporting a few hundred pounds of tire and wheel..

No, it won't, if it does your ball joints or other parts are out of spec and better you find that out "jacks down" than "Pedal to the metal"

I've had ball joints fail (on a car) at zero MPH, and though not fun, Tis not dangerous

'Failing at 55,, Is way less fun and way more dangerous.
You will notice that I did not advocate everyone doing it and that I checked with all the major component manufacturers before I did it.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner
I wouldn't get under it, but what about choking the front wheels at a camp ground. Would it be ok to have the rear wheels off the ground?
I think if you check, your rear jacks they will not even go down far enough to lift the rear tires. Your front one's do. I think this by (safety) design....at least on Nationals.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

I have had two rear tires completely off the ground to level.
No problem with any moving or rolling. The air spring brake will not let the other side move.

Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I asked my jack manufacturer (Equalizer) and they said their jacks were plenty strong to handle the weight of the coach in any direction without relying on the vehicle brakes. Fleetwood Coach was more cautious - they said it was "not safe' to lift any wheel off the ground.

I had the right rear wheel off the ground the last three nights on a particularly unlevel site (a friend's driveway).

Do what you think is best for you.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
I think if you check, your rear jacks they will not even go down far enough to lift the rear tires. Your front one's do. I think this by (safety) design....at least on Nationals.
All right, you made me go check. Jacks all down and I have this strange thing called "air" between plywood and rubber on the front and rear of my coach.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #21

Rear wheels need to be on the ground to prevent the coach from moving. The rear wheel brakes are the only restraint on movement when a coach is parked. Be careful to level your coach to keep the rears on the ground. Just a word to the wise.
JB.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner

All right, you made me go check. Jacks all down and I have this strange thing called "air" between plywood and rubber on the front and rear of my coach.
Hahahaha.... Made ya look!

Last year in Fl, I got stuck in the sand in a CG. Thats when I discovered my rear jacks would not lift the rear tires. I tried it again when I got home on concrete...same thing.....close but no banana. Since there is 4-5 adjustment holes to mount the jacks, I figure they installed them on the higher holes. I could move them down, but so far haven't had to.

It was a good guess why the factory did this and of course our coaches are several years apart, so who knows. I did hack up some 2x10s to carry with me now, so that should take care of it if I ever needed to get the rears off the ground.

I knew you didn't have anything better to do anyway
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #23

We're having a cold spell here in Phx. Only got up to 95 today. But... I was contemplating fixing my computer chair. Seems to have developed a flat, so to speak, on one wheel. The tube that the wheel is inserted into, broke loose from the leg.

Anyway, this was the first time I even tried to get the rear wheels off the ground. My drive is not level, and one wheel was 1" off and the other was ~3"s off. At least I know if I ever get stuck, I can clear the ground without the blocks I always carry.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I do know when I'm under my MH, in my sloped driveway, I will not do so unless the rear tires are on the ground. Just a weird personal quirk I have.
I think most of us have that weird quirk its called "will to survive".
Old 09-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #25

Thanks to all . From your answers I learned A) I - the DW - was right .... the jack off isn't a big deal. and. B) the DH was also right .... the front tire off also was not a big deal . Perfect harmony in that debate. More importantly I learned why our jacks won't go down unless the E brake is on. and that the E brake is only on rear wheels.

MOST important - - I did not like the ball joints out of spec stuff. Is this something the tire people check and prevent? Sounds awfully scarey - ah something else to worry about.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Maybe on some Nationals. The rear jacks on our Dolphin will go down far enough the lift the entire rear in the air.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:45 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
IMHO, all jacks and tires should be on the ground or on blocks. If I need to block a tire, I put at least an equal number of blocks under the jack.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #28

National RV Owners Club
I'm the kinda guy that doesn't like a tire in the air either. Just this weekend tailgating we were on a not so level spot in the stadium parking lot. I couldn't get close to level without a wheel in the air, so I took the little orange pads and made 3 pyramids out of them and drove the tires on top of them on the passenger side. That got it close enough to level that with the jacks extended to get it level all tires were still making good contact with the pads. That was the first time I'd ever done that technique and I gotta say I like it. Not as much movement in the coach that way. I think I learned the technique from someone's post on here, so thanks extended to someone.

Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks