Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2014, 01:59 PM   #1

Jacks for the slide

I am a full timer and only put my slide in when I move it. I need to put jacks under the slide to help give it better support when parked etc. Any advise on good jacks?

Thanks!

NY Camper 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2014, 05:19 PM   #2

I don't think jacks under a slide is a good idea. You can do a lot of damage to your slide if your camper settles and your slide don't.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would recommend against it. Here is why

I have seen some rigs that sat rather high on one or more jacks when they were leveled.. I've seen six, eight,, even 12 inches of lift (About the max of the jack) on some parks, I've had 10 inches of lumber under a wheel to level. Now what happens if you are that high up on leveling jacks, you put supports under the slide out...

And the jack blows a hydraulic line or you are working on the radio or something and accidently trip a sensor that causes the jacks to retract.

OUCH.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:25 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I can't find it right now, but there's another recent thread on this same topic.

Bottom line, no, don't use them. The slides are designed to be self supporting. Should your rig settle, for any reason, after set up you'll do a lot of damage.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Why do you think you need them? I agree with the others - not needed and potentially damage-causing.

We live in our coach 5+ months per year and have never felt the need to provide additional slide support in it, or oin any previous coach or trailer we have owned that had slides.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:05 AM   #6

Well the majority of weight is on the slide and since I will be having people sleeping on the slide in both the dinnet and couch and it already sits a little low. Just trying to take some of the weight off of it to help make the slide last longer and be more stable. The camper is already almost 11 years old, so it already had wear and tear when I purchased it.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:44 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There's nothing wrong with your logic, and when slides were relatively new you'd see a lot of support jacks under them. Real world experience has generally shown them to be more likely to cause damage than prevent it, however.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #8

Well but you see a lot of new ones that come with automatic supports under them.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:32 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's my take on it. I didn't know what a Fleetwood Prowler was so I Googled it. I see that it is a 5ver. We had a nice TT but the floor was like a trampoline. We purchase two slide jacks from CW and used them. I didn't feel it was a problem because we did not raise or support our TT using any kind of hydraulic jacks. It didn't have them. We had electric screw type of supports. They didn't lift anything but only supported the TT. The kitchen slide was always flexing so I put the jacks under it and never worried about the CG settling for any reason what so ever. Most CG's are well used and very unlikely to continue settling unless we have an earth quake.

If your jacks are the screw (electric) type I'd use extra support jacks if it made you feel more stable. If, however you park in a questionable area as far as ground stability or very sloped then I'd re-think using them. It would be your common sense choice.

TeJay

TeJay
Old 10-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Camper 86 View Post
Well but you see a lot of new ones that come with automatic supports under them.
Picture your RV, with jacks under a slide, and a tire goes flat. The coach will settle on the flat tire, but the jacks will hold the slide in place so it won't move. Big time damage.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:17 AM   #11

My camper is a TT. The slide is a good 10'. The jacks wouldn't be to actually jack up the slide but to simply give it support. We are parked in the same site year round. So there isn't a slope or anything the ground is solid. All four tires are on wood we have it stabilize very well other wise. But like I said all the weight is pretty much on the slide and then we will have to adults sleeping on it. Just trying to keep everything as sturdy as possible.

I am really appreciating everyones thoughts
Old 10-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
The idea of a flat tire can be a concern. No concern for us because we also had scissor jacks under the TT frame just ahead of the axles. I could have taken the tires off with no problem.

If you've not had a TT then you don't realize how flexible the frames really are. We would pull into a camp sight, put the 4 equalizer jacks down after leveling. Then I'd place two scissor jacks ahead of the frame for support. Then I'd install the two slide jacks under the outside corners of the slide. That's EIGHT support jacks. The dang TT was still like a trampoline. You could not walk anywhere in that TT without it moving. That's why we switched back to a MH and would NEVER again have a TT.

If you're looking for a TT and see any words close to these RUN as fast as you can: Ultra-Lite, Feather-Lite, Super-Lite etc, etc. To get it lighter they reduce the steel frame thickness & don't install enough frame gussets & supports which increases frame flexing. That's just how it it in the TT world.

TeJay
Old 10-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
correct me if I'm wrong(and I could very well be) but doesn't the slide rely on the pressure against the sidewall to seal the slide from leaking? and couldn't putting jacks under the slide relieve some of that pressure and allow the seal to leak? I'm just guessing so feel free to correct me.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:39 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Really? I've yet to see one, trailer or motorhome.

Quote:
The slide is a good 10'. The jacks wouldn't be to actually jack up the slide but to simply give it support. We are parked in the same site year round.
My 10 year old main slide is 14 feet long and 3 feet wide and stays out by itself most of the year. I typically sit at my desk on that slide several hours a day, and I'm no light weight (about 240#).

In any case, Camping World and other online vendors sell jack stands designed to go under slides, so they are readily available if you feel you must have them.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, slide