Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2016, 10:20 AM   #1
dfm

Jayco sold to Thor!

Jayco has sold to Thor for $576 million. Bontrager is going to continue to run Jayco as a subsidiary .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2016, 01:12 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is True:
TMC Buys Jayco for $576 million in Cash
and
Thor Industries to Buy Jayco for $576 Million - WSJ

Thor Industries uses a "Decentralized Management Structure" which has allowed companies like Airstream, DRV, Dutchmen, Keystone and others to continue to operate as part of Thor -AND- keep their great market success.
http://www2.thorindustries.com/operating-entities

Brands of Jayco include Starcraft RV, Highland Ridge and Entegra Coach, including brands like the Jay Flight, the number one selling travel trailer for the past 11 years:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300293191.html

Don't expect much to change at Jayco anytime soon with this acquisition.

Safe Travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:48 PM   #3

The "Bontrager"family have done well considering they built the business from the ground up!
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:49 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfm View Post
Jayco has sold to Thor for $576 million. Bontrager is going to continue to run Jayco as a subsidiary .
There goes the quality of Jayco. I hate when stuff like this happens. They are buying up the competitors and will degrade their product quality along with making tons of similar units with different names.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:13 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As I wrote earlier...expect little to change at Jayco anytime soon...see:
Thor Industries - Acquisition of Jayco - Acquisition Q&A
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:19 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
My first travel trailer after my pop up was a Jayco Wren in 1978. I had zero, THATS RIGHT - ZIP NADA problems with it not one warranty issue. It was a well designed single axle trailer that we towed behind our '78 Chevy Caprice (and in only had the 305 cu in V-8).

We had many nights happy camping DW, 5yr old and later on with a new baby.

We later had a Jay Feather with many in between ad it was a 'dud' the axles were put on wrong the wheels rusted and somewhere there was a bad leak that allowed the water to gush in around the micro wave or range hood. The other issues were handled under warranty but the leak was a 'mystery' so we traded it back to the selling dealer on a Rockwood so the leak was their problem.

1978 to 2008 a big difference in quality so with Thor involved buckle your seat belts
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
OK OK OK...this thread is mostly a retread of some other threads. (Say that fast 3 times. LOL)

I'm gonna try to say this as fairly and diplomatically as I can without intending to offend anyone...including some very good friends. I'm certain I will offend some but, again, I don't mean this to be a personal slap at anyone who owns a Thor Motor Coach product.

Thor Industries, as Scarab0088 has said, doesn't directly manage subsidiaries. Now, let's not be naive and take that to mean they don't exert pressure on them but let's just assume Jayco and Entegra remain as separate, well manage organizations. I hope, especially for the Entegra line that is true. The big question will be whether Thor Industries is prepared to let subsidiaries with good reputations run autonomous without taking their knees out by crazy "bottom line" expectations. Yes, they should expect to make a profit but Thor Industries is a publicly traded company and share holders will probably not care much about the feelings of the RV community at large until it is too late.

However, OTOH, if Thor Industries has played a significant part of the Thor Motor Coach brand line then I'm thinking the value of USED EC coaches has just gone up or will do so after a period of time. The lack of quality and workmanship I have seen in a couple of the Thor Motor Coach products is appalling! I'm not talking minor stuff either because there hasn't been a perfect coach that ever left any manufacturer's facility. I'm talking about mis-wired AC power systems, totally inappropriate inverters for all-electric coach (IMHO anyway), and junk workmanship. BTW...no one has ever seen me post this kind of statement that is as strong, or remotely so...EVER. I even had a sales person at Lazy Days in FL state that they hated Thor motor coaches because of quality issues and insinuated LD was thinking about dropping the Thor line. While someone might say that the sales person was trying to sell us something else, I promise you, that isn't true because we had that conversation going out the door.

Like I said, no coach is perfect but I'm thinking the Thor Motor Coach doesn't car about quality but relies on quantity instead. I have a friend who is well versed in the auto industry and production who took a tour of the Thor plant. The person giving the tour was promoting the idea that their "by the piece" pay system for its employees was superior to hourly rate in terms of quality. My friend was not impressed.

SIGH! With all that being said, time will tell. I hope EC remains a strong product.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:50 AM   #8

Ok, we just bought our first Keystone rv, (owned by Thor) and we overall are very happy with it... Sure there were things that I have read here most rv owners of new rv's deal with... But so far , we are very happy... As a company being "bought out" , I work (now) for the largest LTL company in the country... NO I didn't hire on with them,, I went to work for a company that totally treated the employee's well.. We got bought out... They went from very bad (after the sell out) to not so bad... (no details here) BUT,,, I hope Thor leaves well enough alone,,,, Its the way of the world I figure,,, big fish eat smaller fish... I hope the p**p smells good...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:37 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Like I said, no coach is perfect but I'm thinking the Thor Motor Coach doesn't car about quality but relies on quantity instead.
Let me correct that for you:
No RV is perfect, but Thor tends to rely on Dealers to resolve quality problems. Thor has control of reimbursement rates, and as such, has another means to control cost.

(This is part of the reason that dealers don't want to do warranty work and you're pressed to go back to your "purchase" dealer)

Paying human beings to assemble complex items and incentivizing to do it quickly (pay by the piece) is never going to work well for the quality of the end piece.

FYI - I like Jayco. Short term, I don't think the purchase will make enough of a difference to make a material change. Long term, I'm not so sure.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:23 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Let me correct that for you:
No RV is perfect, but Thor tends to rely on Dealers to resolve quality problems. Thor has control of reimbursement rates, and as such, has another means to control cost. ...
TRUE...RV or Coach.

I think as a motorhome owner and also a fan of Entegra I was thinking along those lines but you are correct.

I'm much more versed in MHs vs other RVs so that is my frame of thinking without trying to sound like a Class A A$$.

I think there are a couple, perhaps semantical to some, issues with any RV manufacturer. First there is proper designing of a product to meet it's intended buyer (low cost up to top end) and then there are production quality factors.

Thor Motor Coach has shown to me that they design for cost, not quality even up to their top of the line MH. As an example, the basement floor of a Tuscany is screwed down with crazy, small screws that I've seen break easy. When that happens the basement is open to the road because there is no form of additional underside protection for that decking. I saw one come from the factory with a few of the screws broken and the decking raised up exposing the road! The owner is having to use larger screws to replace the ones originally used.

TMC also seems to fail in quality control at the assembly level too. Microwaves with flimsy mounting, mis-wired laundry facilities, and a host of other items are things I have seen.

My concern is that EC (again, I'm not really familiar with Jayco branded items so I can't comment on that) retain their operational/autonomous control over those products without being micro-managed. It is a formula that has been successful and ought not be monkeyed around with too much.

Again, I really hate hacking on any brand because none are perfect but, at least at the "top-of-the-line" model for TMC, I'm kinda lost for words.

All this is IMHO.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #11

2016 has been a great year! The industry has been steaming full speed ahead up the recession hill! I cannot help but wonder what is on the other side of the hill?
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:39 PM   #12

Be nice if they offered a 3 year warranty. My bicycle has Bontrager tires (probably no relation). 4,400 miles without a flat.

Tags
jayco, thor