Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2016, 08:45 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwitt View Post
Can't tell for sure, but that ladder in the first pic looks like it goes up to a platform on the billboard sign beyond the motorhome. Could be wrong.
The first pic has the flames coming from the jeep, ladder is still attatched to RV

Second pic, flames extinguished ladder is gone, except the top loops that connect to the roof

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2016, 08:52 PM   #16

It appears the left front tire is flat and fire is coming out of that wheel well. Perhaps he had a flat and was dragging it and that's what started the fire.

We had a flat on our Jeep and couldn't feel a thing. After someone passed and gave us that dreaded frantic pointing we pulled over. Half of the tire was gone. Immediately afterward we got tire pressure sensors on all the tires - motorhome and Jeep.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:03 PM   #17
RVM1

T
p
m
s
?

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:18 AM   #18

Ladder in first pic is going to the billboard...
Old 08-19-2016, 09:33 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Yup with what life I have left, I'll risk burning pain the rest of my life to disconnect. HAVE any been near a fire like that? Been around a couple car fires and you cannot be close for more than a hand full of seconds, one hand. JON

LEN
Old 08-19-2016, 10:34 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Yup with what life I have left, I'll risk burning pain the rest of my life to disconnect. HAVE any been near a fire like that? Been around a couple car fires and you cannot be close for more than a hand full of seconds, one hand. JON

LEN
Yes - retired 26 year firefighter and I certainly didn't say we need new candidates for the Darwin Award. Your body has amazing sensors that tell you when you are being stupid, but until then, I would try to save the coach. Everybody needs to quit being so melodramatic
Old 08-19-2016, 02:13 PM   #21

American Coach Owners Club
Atomant, easy for you to say, you did stuff like that for a living. I'm sure I'll not hesitate to jump on something that's over your pay grade...hell with the Jeep & coach...and I'd think a long time firefighter would always tell folks to be safe... No offense, just my $.02.... Peace
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:19 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Atomant, easy for you to say, you did stuff like that for a living. I'm sure I'll not hesitate to jump on something that's over your pay grade...hell with the Jeep & coach...and I'd think a long time firefighter would always tell folks to be safe... No offense, just my $.02.... Peace
You're right. You be safe - run like hell before it does one of those Hollywood blow ups!

I was simply stating my experience as a means to put some credibility to my statement that it does not look unrealistic from the first picture for someone to disconnect that coach and pull if forward, providing they were in reasonable health and had all their functions. It would not have been that hot yet at the hitch.

If anyone feels compelled to do something stupid or reckless or risk their lives needlessly because of ol Atom Ant's comment on a forum, I certainly apologize.

None of us were there, so this is all a bit of hoopla anyway.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:34 PM   #23

American Coach Owners Club
Hollywood blow up?...I'm only saying be careful. Your the fireman that says you'd unhook it no matter what.....lots of funny people on the internet. You made your point. It's all about risk vs reward.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:10 PM   #24

Hopefully there'll be some follow up on this site as to what actually took place, what caused the fire, etc.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:25 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would have at least tried to unhook the jeep from the MH. This happened from what I can tell between Palmdale Rd/7th street and Bear Valley Rd. Good thing it didn't start another fire. We've had enough of that in this area in the last 2 weeks. That section of the freeway was shut down for several days last week because of the Blue Cut fire. I live just 7 miles north of where this happened. I think twogypsies is correct. It can happen in the blink of an eye. TPMS is a great idea and keeping a close eye on your backup camera is also a great idea. I keep 2 large fire extinguishers in a compartment behind the right rear wheel and change them out yearly.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2010 Chevy Colorado 4X4
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:08 PM   #26

The backup camera didn't help a bit with the tire blowout...the fender covered the tire for viewing. Tire pressure monitoring system is the best way to go in that case.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, fire, toad