RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2018, 03:00 PM   #1

Journey Express 34y

New guy here looking for help before we buy. Two options, 2011 Canyon Star 3856. Needs about $8000 worth of work but price right. Other is a Journey Express 2011, clean unit but lots of miles. Both RVs are out of state so am taking the sales persons word for them plus the pics they send. Talked to a local RV shop today and he said the XSC chassis was only used for two years by Winnebago because it was a lot rougher ride than others and there is limited storage underneath. Either would be an improvement over our 2003 gasser. Any body have the 34y and tell me about the ride and storage?
The 3856, 39ft. long with the Ford V10 sounds like to me like it will be screeeeeeming pretty bad climbing any hills.
Thoughts?

old golfer guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2018, 06:09 PM   #2

I personally would not buy a rig that big with a gas motor in it. The ford V-10 is a high RPM engine. They get really loud in class As when pulling a hill. There a vids on u-tube where the driver and passenger have trouble talking while going up a hill.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:13 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glfer guy View Post
New guy here looking for help before we buy. Two options, 2011 Canyon Star 3856. Needs about $8000 worth of work but price right. Other is a Journey Express 2011, clean unit but lots of miles. Both RVs are out of state so am taking the sales persons word for them plus the pics they send. Talked to a local RV shop today and he said the XSC chassis was only used for two years by Winnebago because it was a lot rougher ride than others and there is limited storage underneath. Either would be an improvement over our 2003 gasser. Any body have the 34y and tell me about the ride and storage?
The 3856, 39ft. long with the Ford V10 sounds like to me like it will be screeeeeeming pretty bad climbing any hills.
Thoughts?
We bought a 2011 34Y two years ago and love it! It is an ideal footprint with a great floor plan, still has the good (pre Schwintek fiasco) slides. Chassis rides fine, and the GVWR of 28k lbs has plenty of capacity for people and stuff - all filled up we ride at 26k. We were looking at Newmar gassers too, but then drove a diesel pusher - no contest. We drive out west frequently across the mountains towing a 4800 lb Ford Edge (note 10k lb hitch), hardly notice it’s there. This coach is an entry level DP, but in 2011, it was an outstanding and practical package for its time. Feel free to send me a pm if you want to discuss further.
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:38 PM   #4

We have the 2009 34Y which I believe is the same floor plan. As said above, a diesel pusher is preferable to a gasser in almost every way. As for handling and storage, both are better on the Journey than on our previous MH; a Dutch Star 35 ft.. Frankly, we love the 34Y- a great size for getting into smaller places and plenty of features.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:57 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry but I don't know anything about either of those rigs.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey