Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2019, 07:49 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Jump start a refrigerator with dry ice

Since it normally takes four hours or more for a just turned on RV refrigerator to get cold enough to use, I was thinking of using dry ice to "jump start" the cooling process until it can hold its own. We don't have an electrical source to plug the coach into until about eight hours before we hit the road. Time is tight. We've read the precautionary information on handling and storage. Has anyone tried this and if so, how did you accomplish the task?
rick.rutel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2019, 08:07 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I don’t see why you could do that. When you buy it they usually give it to you in a bag. I would put it on something when putting it in the refrigerator so it’s not in contact with a surface. I would try 5lbs if you are just tryin to get the refrigerator side cold. If you are trying to get the freeze below freezing you might need 5 lbs for each side but keep a thermometer in the fridge side as 5 lbs might get it below freezing. Remember to never touch it. It’s so cold it will burn you.
Chargerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:18 AM   #3

When we crossed to NFLD on the ferry, they make you shut off your propane. The ferry ride is more than six hours, and can be much longer if bad weather hits. We froze water jugs ahead of time, and put them in the fridge when we boarded the ferry. It kept the fridge cold, and eventually the ice thawed and turned back into drinking water.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:37 AM   #4

Have you tried starting the fridge yo see how long it takes ?

Residential fridges cool pretty quick. Besides the cold food will give it a boost too.

PS, you fridge won't run for 8 hours on battery ?
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:51 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Dry ice works, but frozen jugs of water does the job as well. In addition, make sure the food & beverages are all well-chilled when you put them in. If you do that, 8 hours of fun time should be plenty.

You didn't mention whether RV absorption fridge or residential. If an RV fridge, start it sooner on propane & battery - you can easily run for days that way. If it's a residential fridge, it will get cold in a couple hours anyway so none of this applies anyway.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:11 AM   #6

I have used dry ice over the years in my coolers for rafting trips with success. However, the insides of my coolers all turned yellowish and I believe that the dry ice is responsible. You may find that is not true in your case.
RichH
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:29 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you use dry ice don"t leave it in the frig when you are in the coach. The co2 can displace the oxygen and could suffocate you.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have used it and it worked great. Got a five pounder from the same grocery store we stocked out fridge at. We broke it in half and put one half atop the ice cream in the freezer and the other on the top rack of the fridge. No problems at all. CO2 is heavier than air. It will pool in the lower areas. Opening and closing of the door under normal circumstances should be plenty to let it out but at night , if the dry ice is not all gone, I would crack a vent and run a small fan set on the floor, specially if you have a kitty.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 02:07 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
What did you use to store the dry ice in inside the refrigerator?
Old 05-25-2019, 04:29 PM   #10

We start our frig on propane about an hour before hitting the road. What works, at least for us, is to load it up with the cold food that we're taking on the trip. The ice cream may be a bit soft for a couple of hours but it's not long after that the frig meets set temperature.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:17 PM   #11

I usually just get a 10 pound bag of ice at the grocery store. Put it in a pan to catch the water and let it chill things down. Costs about 2 bucks.

Cheap, easy and safe.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:41 PM   #12

I have used dry ice to "jump start" my RV fridge in the past when my house battery for the TT was failing. When I had a good house battery in the TT the fridge will run on LP and battery power for 3-4 days without depleting the battery in the old TT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.rutel View Post
What did you use to store the dry ice in inside the refrigerator?
You may simply lay it on the top fridge shelf or lay it in the freezer, it is -20°F in frozen state.(leave in packaging) As it warms it instantly converts to a gas.https://www.chillistick.com/dryicefaq.html
HOWEVER! Never touch it with bare skin! Wear heavy leather gloves when handling dry ice, it will burn you just as much as a red-hot horseshoe, and is just as painful.
Ron Postma is correct too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:22 PM   #13

We just usually use a bag of regular ice to get the fridge cold. No need for dry ice.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:14 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the information. Much appreciated!

Tags
refrigerator