Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
See, you know how the system works. Doesn't make any difference if you do set on a jury and vote them not guilty. They will just make a slight change to the charge and take the person back to court again, and again.

The kids in my area ;that are of working class families; now grow up expecting to set time in jail. They don't know for what but, it has become a normal part of life here now just like getting a job and having children.

Nobody ever takes it to trail anyway. We've all been taught to let the system take advantage of us and everybody does a plea deal, spends jail time, and goes on about their life.

I'm very sorry to have to say this but, it's all become just a way for the lawyers, and other people, to make money.
When I was in my early 20's I got into a fight and got arrested. I was laid off and had a wife and 2 kids. The judge gave me a $200 fine which I could not pay. They came and arrested me for contempt of court. I told the judge I was unemployed and every dime went to feeding the family and I would pay the fine when I got work.

He gave me 90 days in jail and added another $200 to the fine. When the 90 days were up I went before the judge again and he gave me 1 week to pay the fine. I tried real hard to get the $400 but by this time we had lost our apartment, furniture and almost everything else and the wife and kids were living with my in laws who weren't much better off than us. I didn't get the money.

At the end of the week they came and arrested me again for contempt of court and added another $200 to the fine and the judge gave me another 90 days. If it had not been for a friend loaning me $600 I think I would still be in jail.

The system sucks. How can you pay fines when you are sitting in jail? Does that make any sense to you? They could have let me work for the county to pay the fines or sweep the streets but no, jail is the answer to everything. Makes no sense to me.

They don't want to call me up for jury duty...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #30

I will say that in my area you will get a chance to work off some if not most of the fine while your in jail. How much you get worked iff depends on how long your in jail.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #31

Proving once again, in court you are guilty until proven innnocent
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:56 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I was called twice in 4 months while living in Texas. The first one came for me to report the day my son was scheduled for an operation at Scottish Rite Hospital (great place) and I called, they excused me. The second time I really did not have an excuse so I showed up, with my son in his wheelchair, heart monitor, his meds and all. Checked in and sat and waited. Finally they called my number and I push my son in front of me and proceed to follow the woman. She stops, asked me who "he" was and I told her, she told me I couldn't have him there. I told her well, then I can't be here either because I have NO ONE within 1000 miles of this location who can sit with him, I cannot take him to a "child care center" as he is over 13. Another 2 hours later, THEY finally decided to take us to a private room where we met with a Judge. He questions me, I explained to him that I did not have a sole who could take care of my son and I just can't trust strangers to meet his needs. THEN I asked what kind of case is this for anyways and the Judge tells me "medical malpractice" and I looked at my son, and turned to the Judge and said "I personally do not think I could possibly render an honest opinion your honor because my son is sitting here with us today because a nurse screwed up" and he shock my hand, shock my son's hand thanked me for being patient and said he would have me removed from the pool. I never received another summons for jury duty again.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:34 AM   #33

I'll tell you what, if I ever find myself in court I sure hope 12 of my fellow neighbor citizens step forward leaving their normal lives behind and sit in the jury box. This is one of a few of the the greatest countries in the world, and our system of justice, while not always perfect, is sure better that the alternatives. I have been in court probably a 100 times, all as a expert witness, and I can tell you I am proud of the court system. While my clients didn't always win, I usually walked away feeling justice was served.

I for one am glad to live in rural America. Besides low crime rate I enjoy friendly, fair and compassionate police protection.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:17 AM   #34

I called the clerk's office here from Arizona last year to tell them I couldn't accept their invitation due to the distance I would have to commute. She laughed and said that the mileage reimbursement would break their bank and said don't worry - poof - excused.

The judge called me a couple of days later to talk about the pros & cons of most of the time RVing. He was going to retire after his current term.

If home I would serve but they probably wouldn't seat a sarcastic opinionated old fart like me. What sux about our system is people that lose a days pay for a whopping $15.00 pay check (here anyway) for showing up.
born2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:45 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I have been called three times, all while still working. The first was Grand Jury. It lasted months on and off. I was very fortunate to work for a company that paid us full pay and let me out in the middle of the day when the jury needed a quorum. This happened to a friend of ours. His company only paid a couple of days then he was on his own with $40 a day and paying to park. I think it hurt him financially, not fair.

The second time I was called twice while out of town and told I could only be excused twice. When I finally got there we were excused in about ten minutes.

The last time I went through the whole process right up to the final pick for the jury. It was a cocaine trial. If you want to be excused from one of those in a hurry and they ask if you think pot should be legalized tell them yes. Out the door I went while a co-worker that was called the same day and said no got to go on through the entire trial.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #36

I think my check was about $20 from the county , for showing up and sitting in a packed court room, with people standing along the sides. This was just the initial show up thing. Luckily my company paid me 8 hours also for the day off. Not near the money I usually make, but I wasn't complaining at all...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote