Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Jury Duty

I just received my first ever summons to report for jury duty in Clackamas County, Oregon. There's a postcard included that says you must complete and return it to the court "today". Then, on a different page, it says you have 5 days to get the postcard back to them or you can be held in contempt of court.

So, my question here is, how do some of you full or even part time RVers deal with this situation. If this summons arrived while we were gone for a few weeks, like we just were until Thanksgiving, I wouldn't even know about it until I was in contempt of court!

All of our mail gets held at the post office while we are gone. We have no family or friends that can pick up our mail to look for something like this just in case.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Being out of town is a legitimate excuse in most jurisdictions. Where we reside there is a "snowbird", excuse from jury duty also. I would think a contempt conviction, in your circumstance would be a far push for any court to achieve.. I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express..........once.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #3

If mail is held at post office then there is official paper trail.

Most will allow you to select a different day, so next trip to town stop by and check in, then confirm if your group was even called, been lucky in the past...

You can select a different time in most places, choose one that is when you can't do anything else anyway
Old 12-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #4

just show up in oregon city with white cane w/ red tip,shades and hearing aids and they will excuse you.
we were out of town when clackamas county choose me. i called the number on the summons and explained. they put me back in the pool and didn't get recalled for about 3 years
Old 12-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #5

Quote:
I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express..........once.
I love it!

I do all the things that my state looks at to get the potential jury pool. I vote, have a drivers license and pay property taxes and I've only been picked two times in 40 years. The first time we had just moved to the other end of the state and I was let off. The second time I had just been called up on Hurricane Katrina disaster recovery with the federal government, and the judge had no problem letting me off. Everyone wanting off the pool had to stand up and state their case. Mine went fast and I was excused, but the lady next to me was a hoot. She said (with attitude) "I just don't have time to waste all day in court Judge." He looked down at her and pointing his finger said "I spend all day in court, so will you!"

Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I don't mind doing the duty. I just don't want to be the guy on the other side of the jury box because I didn't know they called me.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #7

I showed up to General Sessions court as I always did, in my Sheriffs Office Uniform, Gun and all, the Clerk of Court looked at me and said," what are you doing here?"...
My answer was," you sent me this card!"
She ran me out, said I might be biased! I tried to tell her that I wasn't, if they were innocent we didn't arrest em!
Old 12-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #8

The sent me a card once and said I was in the pool and could be called. They asked if I had ever been convicted of a crime. I said well,, not really but kinda, and it was 20 years ago. They never called me back. If they did I would have said that I would have voted not guilty even if I did thing the guy was guilty. After they took advantage of me 20 years ago I hate the system so much I would rather have the criminal out on the street then the lawyers. In my area the lawyers are the bad guys. You can trust the criminals more then them. We have too many police, too many lawyers, and not enough crime. They take small things and blow them out of proportion because there board and have nothing better to do. They've told me that!
Old 12-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
The sent me a card once and said I was in the pool and could be called. They asked if I had ever been convicted of a crime. I said well,, not really but kinda, and it was 20 years ago. They never called me back. If they did I would have said that I would have voted not guilty even if I did thing the guy was guilty. After they took advantage of me 20 years ago I hate the system so much I would rather have the criminal out on the street then the lawyers. In my area the lawyers are the bad guys. You can trust the criminals more then them. We have too many police, too many lawyers, and not enough crime. They take small things and blow them out of proportion because there board and have nothing better to do. They've told me that!
I've been called for jury duty every other year for years till I got to number 11 and had enough. During jury selection for a pot possession case the judge asked me if I could be objective and rule on the evidence. I told him I would never vote guilty for a marijuana charge and suspected the cops were lying. Haven't been called since.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I got called once in my home state (NC). I called and talked to the person in charge of the jury pool (I think they were called the "Jury Foreman"), whose number was listed on the summons, and explained that I was vacationing in Iceland and would not be able to make it to their party. They said OK, and excused me from the duty.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
Tell me you don't really subscribe to that line of thinking and that your just trying to get a rise out of us. I doubt anyone is a fan of jury duty, but what's the alternative. As for being away and being notified for jury duty, I'm sure the court wouldn't have an issue if you were not in the area when the notification was sent.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
Tell me you don't really subscribe to that line of thinking and that your just trying to get a rise out of us. I doubt anyone is a fan of jury duty, but what's the alternative. As for being away and being notified for jury duty, I'm sure the court wouldn't have an issue if you were not in the area when the notification was sent.
Caveman admits to having a "weird" sense of humor so I think a block of salt is called for here.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My official address is in Tillamook County, Oregon. When I received my jury summons I called them and explained that I was very seldom in Oregon because I was a full time RVer. They understood and cancelled the summons and said they would take me off the prospective juror list.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Can't be held in contempt if you never received the notice. As long as you can show you were out of town, you cannot be held liable.
In NY, a police officer can perform jury duty. I was called and chosen as a potential juror on a burglary case. When it was my turn to be interviewed by the defense, I was asked my occupation, looked at the defendant and said police officer. Then I was asked if I was ever a victim of a crime, I said yes. Then was asked what type of crime. Again looked square at the perp and said burglary. Needless to say I wasn't picked for that case.