Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #1

Just a box...

What do you do when you have limited storage, want to carry firewood and other items, and have time and junk laying around...you build a carry box for the back.

While sorting stuff in the shop we stumbled on one of those carriers that fit into the trailer hitch and wondered if it would be suitable, plenty of space, but now to secure the wood.

Further looking we found some leftover 1/8 inch sheet aluminum and angle iron pieces so we made the box.

Some stainless steel rails from the salvage yard strengthen the long sides and via the center lid support connecting front to back the structure is rock solid.

Next puzzle was the lid, we had piano hinge but difficult to keep water out, would need to add support to hold it open, and the hinge was a little too short.

We remembered the way the hood opened on the garden tractor, so we made some models to work out the geometry, the lid needed to open up close to vertical, but not quite as there is a ladder on the back of the coach that restricts the vertical range, and it also limits the space the lid can travel.

We finally got the lift arms correct, the lid tilts up and over the side of the box with 3/8 clearance to the ladder, end angle matches the ladder, and it is self supporting.

A couple Southco turn latches secures the lid.

Lid has 1 1/8 angle around all 4 sides, so it is very water resistant from the top, a plastic liner goes on the bottom to allow water to drain but keep everything inside via the expanded steel bottom.

The sheet stock is held together via countersunk screws and angle iron, all surfaces that touch are ground to shiny and epoxied as are the screws and nuts.

These are all then filled with bondo and finished flush.

There are additional stabilizers added that use existing holes in the bottom of the bumber with a nut welded inside the insert.

A custom pin that was machined to fit the pin lock and is also threaded allows the insert to be bolted to the receiver via the pin.

Tail lights are visible from the rear, we have a set of LED tail lights that will be added to insure good visibility of signalling.

It is 24 inches deep, 60 inches wide and 19 1/2 inches front to back with a sliding shelf.

They now have an aluminum carrier for about the same money, so one could build similar, this keeps the firewood and other items that may carry bugs or other critters out of the coach.

A nursery wagon is the same height so removal and transport for storage is one person job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jun03_0006.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	21898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jun03_0007.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	21899  

Name:	Jun03_0008.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	21900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jun03_0009.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	21901  

Name:	Jun03_0010.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	21902  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
WOW! nice carrier. engineer, right? looks like something my FIL would build, very professional indeed. you might also consider moving the licence plate.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
At this time I do not do that but the plan looks sound.

I do have a mobility scooter, weighs 250 pounds (Shipping weight) my wife uses to tow the laundry over to the washing machines in the park, among other things.

I load it on one of the "Hitch Hauler" (TM) type carriers.. Originally this was mounted on a custom bilt drop hitch, and as a result bottomed out when I turned one corner in S.C. land of "No leveal place less it's man made":. I backed into a stone wall and messed it up (Broke the main support beam which is also the part that goes into the receiver) finally got around to replacing it with one a few inches longer.

The reason for the "longer" is the drop hitch had not onlyh a 2" receiver for the tow bars (From when I towed) But a "Toung" type mount for my bicycle carrier. The new beam does double duty.

Holds 500 Pounds (Rating). (Well holds my 330 plus the scooter on occasion but not going down the road).

Oh, the new beam is heavier than the OEM as well.

WHen I get a towed, Again, I will either do some more mod work on that drop hitch or more likely move the tray to the back of the towed (or just mount it vertically) when towing)

I added a pair of LED tail lights to it as well.

Law IN MY STATE is a cargo tray like that is legal if it does not extend more than FOUR feet (Thought it was 3) beyond the rear of the ride, Or if it does extend over 4 Feet it is legal if it's flaged or lit.

Mine extends about 28-30 inches beyond the back of the RV. AND is lit.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looks Good, thanks for the pictures
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Tony & Lori:

WOW! What a beautiful storage unit you made.

Just wanted to mention something. You indicated one of the purposes for the unit was to "...carry firewood..." You probably already know this, but.... unless you are planning to use your rig in and around your home region (county, state, etc.) many parks further afield around the country have restrictions about bringing in and burning firewood from elsewhere. This is especially true about traveling into and out of Canada.

Steve & Lynette
Old 06-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Very nice storage box. Chickadee is correct, many U.S. areas also have outlawed transport of firewood. You mentioned keeping bugs and critters out of the motorhome, that's the reason for not transporting firewood. Ash boring beetles in Ohio, Pine bark beetles in the Rockies, these pests are causing big problems and have resulted in transporting wood bans. Same issue in trailering boats, introduced species into new areas is a major problem.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
You can get around the firewood issue by using kiln dried scrap lumber in some parts. the kiln gets hot enough to kill bugs apparently, but I don't know about virus.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:55 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very nice Job, and very well planned. Where do I place my order.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #9

Thanks for the good comments.

We are in Ca, and due to the farming here we are very well aware of restrictions transporting anything.

Our planned outings are in local spots within 50 miles or so, and we use local grown wood from the backyard.

We were able to fit a 5 gal bottle and about 4 feed bags full of FW with a 5 gallon bucket also filled with smalls, the bucket is to have full of water near the fire.

Was to go last week, but transmission did not want to shift, so vacation spent working on Allison unit, still not fixed but we have got good at parking in the driveway and pulling the pan..&^^%$%&

Tail lights are now added, could not drive it so had to do something.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4MBG View Post
WOW!...you might also consider moving the licence plate.
I second this warning. Since you spend time in Cali please be aware that you're vulnerable for a "fix-it-ticket" for obstructing the plate. I got cited in my SUV for partially blocking the License plate with a permanent bumber rack. I had to move the plate to get the citiation dismissed.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote