Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2016, 10:14 PM   #15

SAINT JOHN, N.B. -- Two Texas men who tried to bring hidden guns along on separate Canadian vacations last weekend have lost their guns, been fined and sent home.

Kind of funny actually Hidden? Hello
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2016, 06:33 AM   #16

Like twogypsies said, I sometimes think it is the attitude or just plain luck, have been thru the border a half dozen times and never been checked. The last time thru the Canadian officer asked repeatedly if I owned guns, and I told him yes, even had to tell him what kind, he asked repeatedly if I had any with me and every time truthfully said no. Then he waved us on. Never been asked about food stuffs. Last time even brought back some frozen sausage in the freezer in the 5ver, (which the DW gave me heck about buying, said I'd have to lose it). One of these days I suppose I might get checked, but not so far.....
Tightwadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwadted View Post
...The last time thru the Canadian officer asked repeatedly if I owned guns, and I told him yes, even had to tell him what kind....

Assuming you are from the USA and not to start anything, but just what business was it to the officer what kind of guns you own as long as you didn't have any with you?
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:56 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Proud to be a natural born Texan

Yeah, I'm from Texas and yes I pack a gun. Most of the people I know around here do the same thing. It's just a way of life. I/we don't go looking for trouble but if trouble finds us ... were ready. I don't want to be a sheep on my knees waiting for slaughter while the Mountie's are in route, I hope.... Not sure if I'll make it to Canada I hear it's nice up there. Well maybe I'll bring a shotgun and go any way.

10/18/19 Dutch has passed but still travels with us in our hearts :(
mikee409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:11 AM   #19

In May and June of this year I took a +12,000 mile road trip in my Dodge Caravan through western Canada and Alaska. I have Texas license plates and even though I crossed the border three times, at the I-15 crossing in Montana, on the Klondike Highway going to Skagway, and the Top of the World Highway (Klondike Highway) leaving Chicken, Alaska. I’m pretty certain that due to my Texas license plates I was thoroughly questioned about guns. I readily admitted to having handguns at home as well as a concealed carry permit. However, I explained that I’d researched Canadian gun laws and that not only was I aware that handguns were not wanted in Canada but both the .32and .22 caliber handguns I owned were worthless for bear protection anyhow. I discussed how I’d thought about paying $25 for a permit for a long gun but after talking with a long time Alaskan friend I decided on purchasing bear deterrent spray of course I mentioned that I was aware that Mace was not considered a bear deterrent and would be taken away but that the spray I’d purchased was clearly marked as bear deterrent. Not only was I never searched but the border guard at the Skagway crossing thanked me for doing my due diligence and wished me a pleasant stay in Canada.
Steve
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:20 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Would this be considered profiling?
If it is profiling then it is smart, not dumb like the random inspections the US screeners do.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:00 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
If it is profiling then it is smart, not dumb like the random inspections the US screeners do.
I agree. It's about probabilities. Who's statistically more likely to commit a crime or be a terrorist.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:12 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbill View Post
Assuming you are from the USA and not to start anything, but just what business was it to the officer what kind of guns you own as long as you didn't have any with you?
I was wondering the same thing. As if a terrorist might be deterred.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:14 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
In both incidences, the RV'ers denied having guns so it was smuggling. But I wonder what happens if when asked about guns, I say yes I have a handgun, and it is kept unloaded away from ammo.
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:52 AM   #24

Vagabond, you can't take a hand gun into Canada... They will lock it up and hold it for you on your return trip or you could ship it. Ammo is ok, you can have it.
larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:05 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Pretty stupid and costly too!

I guess that old saying IS really true - "Ignorance is Bliss!"

More than likely they will never be allowed to step one foot in Canada ever again.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, canada