Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2005, 02:25 PM   #1

Well, we got back late last night from our first trip in our popup. We had a good time, but its a funny story.

First off, it was one of those "free" weekends at a resort for "members only". You know the one where you have to take a "tour" aka "sales pitch". Well, dh was SUPPOSED to have Friday off. Turns out that when you are a chaplain in the army, OFF doesn't mean off. He had to be at formation at 6am to give out some gift vouchers to soldiers, then again at 11am. We weren't going to go because it was so cold, but decided to go ahead and go (this was at noon). He had one more soldier to meet at 2pm and then we could go. We started packing and in my rush, did not bother to look at the list (BAD idea). After he met with the soldier at 2, we began loading everything up. Backed the van in to hookup the camper.

Darn hitch would not latch on. A little WD40 later and POP on it went. OK, hooked it up, loaded in the kids, pillows and blankets and made our way out at 4pm. We planned on stopping to eat and the campground was only 1.5 hours away, so we called to say we would be there at 6pm.

Pulled out, ate, and got on the road. We went 95 down to 211 and 3 hours later were not there. We were on back roads through small towns going "where the heck are we". Finally we got there at about 8-8:30pm. I told dh "we could be halway to disney world by now!" Anyway, the clipboard was where it was supposed to be. The manager met us at the campsite and helped dh back in. We had it set up in no time and were inside (decided to deal with the water in the morning). Did not bring a flashlight.

I realized that I had forgotten towels, warmer blankets and our backup heater. It was COLD! The heat strip kept us barely comfortable. Needed scissors to open the hose package. I said, "hey I bought one of those multipurpose tools, it is in the top drawer." Turns out, you need scissors to open the package to the multipurpose tool. Finally, dh managed to rip open the package and breakfast was on its way. Went to checkin and pick up a couple of things. Our "tour" was at 12:30pm. The kids and dh took a walk around the lake while I cleaned up a little bit aka take a nap. LOL Met up with them 5 minutes before "tour". Manager came to say that there was a prob and they could not do the tour, could we do in the morning, we said no because dh had to be somewhere. (another thing about chaplains, their weekends off are not "off" either) Anyway, they came by the camper later, gave us our gifts and said to call us in the spring and they would have us back again for the "tour".

We found out that it was going to rain the next morning and did not want to be leaving in it, so decided to leave that night. dh took older kids to play putt putt while I put baby down for nap and packed up the camper. I started the campfire just after their return (just before dusk) and it was perfect just as the sun was setting. We roasted marshmallows and made smores. We loaded the kids in the van, closed the camper, hitched it up, and took off.

Oh, btw, when we checked in, the lady explained to me that we were not 4hrs from fort bragg, I had taken a VERY round about way. We left about 8, stopped for an hour for dinner, and were home by 10pm.

Oh, another exciting thing. When we got home, dh was freaked out about backing the popup into our VERY narrow driveway. As I was trying to guide him in for about 10 minutes, I got so frustrated that I said "get out, I will do it myself!" He said "fine I dare you". Well, not even 5 minutes later, the popup had made it in the driveway, past the narrow pole and bush lined carport and into the backyard parking spot. dh just stood there with jaw dropped. Amazing what us women can do when you guys tick us off huh! Funny though that when I pull the van in by itself, going FOWARD, I always hit the curb, yet BACKING the camper in, I did not...Go figure! LOL

Anyway we had a good time, learned a few things, and can't wait to go to WDW in February.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2005, 02:25 PM   #2

Well, we got back late last night from our first trip in our popup. We had a good time, but its a funny story.

First off, it was one of those "free" weekends at a resort for "members only". You know the one where you have to take a "tour" aka "sales pitch". Well, dh was SUPPOSED to have Friday off. Turns out that when you are a chaplain in the army, OFF doesn't mean off. He had to be at formation at 6am to give out some gift vouchers to soldiers, then again at 11am. We weren't going to go because it was so cold, but decided to go ahead and go (this was at noon). He had one more soldier to meet at 2pm and then we could go. We started packing and in my rush, did not bother to look at the list (BAD idea). After he met with the soldier at 2, we began loading everything up. Backed the van in to hookup the camper.

Darn hitch would not latch on. A little WD40 later and POP on it went. OK, hooked it up, loaded in the kids, pillows and blankets and made our way out at 4pm. We planned on stopping to eat and the campground was only 1.5 hours away, so we called to say we would be there at 6pm.

Pulled out, ate, and got on the road. We went 95 down to 211 and 3 hours later were not there. We were on back roads through small towns going "where the heck are we". Finally we got there at about 8-8:30pm. I told dh "we could be halway to disney world by now!" Anyway, the clipboard was where it was supposed to be. The manager met us at the campsite and helped dh back in. We had it set up in no time and were inside (decided to deal with the water in the morning). Did not bring a flashlight.

I realized that I had forgotten towels, warmer blankets and our backup heater. It was COLD! The heat strip kept us barely comfortable. Needed scissors to open the hose package. I said, "hey I bought one of those multipurpose tools, it is in the top drawer." Turns out, you need scissors to open the package to the multipurpose tool. Finally, dh managed to rip open the package and breakfast was on its way. Went to checkin and pick up a couple of things. Our "tour" was at 12:30pm. The kids and dh took a walk around the lake while I cleaned up a little bit aka take a nap. LOL Met up with them 5 minutes before "tour". Manager came to say that there was a prob and they could not do the tour, could we do in the morning, we said no because dh had to be somewhere. (another thing about chaplains, their weekends off are not "off" either) Anyway, they came by the camper later, gave us our gifts and said to call us in the spring and they would have us back again for the "tour".

We found out that it was going to rain the next morning and did not want to be leaving in it, so decided to leave that night. dh took older kids to play putt putt while I put baby down for nap and packed up the camper. I started the campfire just after their return (just before dusk) and it was perfect just as the sun was setting. We roasted marshmallows and made smores. We loaded the kids in the van, closed the camper, hitched it up, and took off.

Oh, btw, when we checked in, the lady explained to me that we were not 4hrs from fort bragg, I had taken a VERY round about way. We left about 8, stopped for an hour for dinner, and were home by 10pm.

Oh, another exciting thing. When we got home, dh was freaked out about backing the popup into our VERY narrow driveway. As I was trying to guide him in for about 10 minutes, I got so frustrated that I said "get out, I will do it myself!" He said "fine I dare you". Well, not even 5 minutes later, the popup had made it in the driveway, past the narrow pole and bush lined carport and into the backyard parking spot. dh just stood there with jaw dropped. Amazing what us women can do when you guys tick us off huh! Funny though that when I pull the van in by itself, going FOWARD, I always hit the curb, yet BACKING the camper in, I did not...Go figure! LOL

Anyway we had a good time, learned a few things, and can't wait to go to WDW in February.

Old 12-18-2005, 03:54 PM   #3
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hey Momaloya,
First off welcome to iRV2 it is a great site filled with great folks and lots of great RV info!! Glad your shake down trip was not to bad, and I am sure things will go better the more you use the camper. Have a Merry Christmas and have a great time at WDW in Feb. Also thank you to your husband and all of our service men & women for what they do!!
Old 12-18-2005, 04:34 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum and congrats on a successful damage free maiden voyage!

Mike.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:44 PM   #5

Good going! And I don't think there are any rules who backs up the trailer! Who ever is best should do it. Scotty.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:43 AM   #6

Welcome to IRV2! I noticed that even though some important things were left behind, you guys still made out alright. Actually, I don't sweat the little things. Part of the fun of camping is making do with what you have within limits, of course!
As far as taking the long way around, I've discovered that half the fun of camping for me is getting there.
Any way, enjoy yourselves and hang on to those memories.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:27 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad your first trip was a "success". You need to keep a journal of each trip. It is always fun to go back and review the trip with al of it's little problems later.

Ken
Old 12-24-2005, 07:15 AM   #8

I am not the journaling type, but hey you just gave me a great idea for a homeschooling assignment My dd9 says I always find a way of making things educational. LOL

Anyway, I considered it a success as well. And as far as the long way around, dh and I always manage to get lost, turned around or otherwise. We always add in time to our itinerary for getting lost. If we stay on course, we do fine. It is the going off the beaten path to see something or someone that does us in.

Thanks for the addagirls. I am so glad that I found you guys, you gave some great tips beforehand to help prevent some things.