Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2006, 06:10 AM   #1

Tuesday, I was trying to get out of the Gary, IN Flying-J. The road was messed up with construction and the traffic was heavy. I could not turn right because the exit was next to new road bed that was cut about a foot or more deep and and there was not room to turn my van and TT (55 feet). So, I was stuck trying to turn left.
Well, the guy in the van behind me decided that I was taking too long so he bumped my TT bumper with his van bumper. When I got out thinking it was just a 'foot slipped of the brake" kinda thing, he told me that he had done it because I was taking too long. I told him that I was waiting for a hole in the traffic. His response was 'Just pull out and make your own hole'.
Since I already knew he was a A******, I decided to just get back in my van and not say any more. No amount of yelling at him would have made him less of a A******.
Just as I got back into the van, a hole opened up in the traffic. As I pulled out, he followed me without stopping and almost got hit. As I get on the interstate, he zaps around and he starts zipping between lanes around all the other vehicles doing about 30 mph more than the traffic.
Some people just a waste of good skin.
My wife did get his tag number, but I don't know what I could do with that. Maybe if I had his address, I could send him a "A****** of the Year" award. But it would not help, he would still be one.

(fka TonyT)
BeenThere DoneThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2006, 06:10 AM   #2

Tuesday, I was trying to get out of the Gary, IN Flying-J. The road was messed up with construction and the traffic was heavy. I could not turn right because the exit was next to new road bed that was cut about a foot or more deep and and there was not room to turn my van and TT (55 feet). So, I was stuck trying to turn left.
Well, the guy in the van behind me decided that I was taking too long so he bumped my TT bumper with his van bumper. When I got out thinking it was just a 'foot slipped of the brake" kinda thing, he told me that he had done it because I was taking too long. I told him that I was waiting for a hole in the traffic. His response was 'Just pull out and make your own hole'.
Since I already knew he was a A******, I decided to just get back in my van and not say any more. No amount of yelling at him would have made him less of a A******.
Just as I got back into the van, a hole opened up in the traffic. As I pulled out, he followed me without stopping and almost got hit. As I get on the interstate, he zaps around and he starts zipping between lanes around all the other vehicles doing about 30 mph more than the traffic.
Some people just a waste of good skin.
My wife did get his tag number, but I don't know what I could do with that. Maybe if I had his address, I could send him a "A****** of the Year" award. But it would not help, he would still be one.

(fka TonyT)
Old 07-27-2006, 06:36 AM   #3

I think it was very intelligent to just get back in your van and proceed on.

This guy has some serious issues. Best to leave him alone. Art
Old 07-27-2006, 06:44 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I would have sat right there and called the police and reported an accident. I would have told the van driver you think he damaged your equalizer hitch and you want an accident report from the police becuase you are going to a garage and have your tow system completely checked!

If he would have left before the police arrived he would be charged with leaving the scene of accident!

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:52 AM   #5

This A****** falls under the category: "I could explain it to you but you still wouldn't get it."

He clearly has a problem that will get him into deep trouble at some point in the near future when he can't control himself with someone who isn't as clear-thinking as you were. Odds are short he'll run into someone with his same "anger management" problem at some point.

In the meantime, be creative and spend a little time imagining him doing that to either
a)someone who gets out of his rig wearing leather, missing teeth, shaved head and covered with "I'm With Satan" tatoos or
b)an off-duty police officer!

Kudos to you for staying calm and in control.

Marcia
AmericanGypsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:20 AM   #6

I thought about calling a LEO, but my family was in the van and my gun was not handy as it was in the lockbox in the back of the van. (I had been staying in WI for a week and they do not like guns in glove boxes, even with a carry permint from my home state.) This guy seemed like the kind of guy that might fly of the handle if I dialed 911.
Even if my gun had been in my pocket, it was not worth the confontation. The only real option was to walk away wondering at the stupidity of some people. (FYI, this was not a kid, he was about 40-50.)

(fka TonyT)
Old 07-27-2006, 07:37 AM   #7

I have to agree with Tom, I would have sat there and called the police. Did he do any damage? He should have been charged with something!
Idiot!!
Allie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:44 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Another option as others have stated would be to just leave. After thinking about this situation that may have been the best option.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:27 PM   #9

The reason that this A******** does these kind of things is that he gets away with it. I would have sat right there, dialed 911 and had the police come. If he would have left, which I assure you he would have being in such a hurry, then you could have given the police his license number since you had it and had them file an accident report.

This is the kind of personality that will probably cause a serious accident, cause serious injury or death to someone just because he has gotten away with such stupid acts so many times.

One with this kind of personality must be held responsible for such stupid acts for them to reform, if not they will continue and escalate.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:22 PM   #10

Here in Florida they are cracking down on agressive drivers quite harshly. Even if you had no damage you could have just dialed 911,reported him as an agressive driver who was endangering others on the road and let things fall as they may.

Confrontation is not a valid option and could ruin an otherwise nice day or even all your families future days.

You did right and all your family has right now is a story about a diminished individual to talk about.

Regards,
Old 07-28-2006, 02:57 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First, we often use Flying Js to refuel, eat and sleep while in route and continue to do so with out problem.

However, two years ago we stopped at the one in Gary IN. about 3PM with intentions of garbing a nap and hitting the road around midnight to avoid the heavy traffic associated with the highways around Chicago. At 8PM Lynda woke me up very concerned, explaining she has spent the last hour walking Hara (see signature) around the rig.

on edit:
oops, forgot I removed Hara from the Sig. line, she's our 110 lb. rottie, and most IRV2'ers, who have attended rallies with her know she is really a big lap dog, but her apperance gets the job done with strangers.

A quick look around confirmed her concerns. There were no other RV's, they were operating on a pay first basis in a glass, probably bullet proof, booth and there were 2 or 3 security types patrolling the fuel islands.

It was very busy with several vehicles waiting in line to get to the pumps, all well and good, but their methods were very unnerving, screeching tires, cutting each other off followed by profanity that was liberally laced with reference to their mothers.

Needless to say we were on the road before 8:30, probably using the same exit you did, and started 3 hours of bumper-to-bumper, stop and go traffic.

Several hours later we pulled into the ˜J in La Salle IL. While having breakfast we mentioned the experience to our waitress. She apologized and told us that 4 weeks earlier they had sent several of their management team down there to help clean the place up, clearly a loosing effort. She also said it was the murder capital of the area, that's saying a lot considering it is only a suburb of Chicago.

Bottom line, if you're stopping in Gary make it quick and before the afternoon rush hour and remember if problems do occur, it's better to be bumped on than bumped off.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:37 AM   #12

Wow, I will avoid that area for sure! I probably would have called 911 AFTER getting in my car and beginning to drive away. I would have explained that I didn't stay at the scene because I feared for my family and my own safety.

Unfortunately, if that area is as rough as Mike says, the cops would have blown it off, as they have bigger fish to fry. Of course, maybe the state police would deal with it?

I pray I never meet anyone like that. I have accidentally tapped someone before (more than once, mainly when pregnant) due to foot slippage. All (did I say ALL??? ) were very understanding and friendly. Of course, I was very apologetic.

One day that jerk is going to mess with the wrong person. I pray he changes his ways before then and before he kills someone.

That said, I have to say my hormones got the better of me a couple of weeks ago. I was getting on post, when a young girl (16) in a VW bug almost rammed me changing lanes and talking on her cell phone. She was attempting to cross 3-4 lanes to get into mine. After almost hitting me, she laughed. I had all 5 of my kids in my van with me. I followed her to the PX. When I got out and approached her car, she looked terrified. She rolled down her window. I was nice and did not raise my voice at all (surprised my kids on that one LOL), but let her know that I had 5 kids in the car with me and she could have caused me to flip over (OK, slight exaggeration, trying to scare her). I also told her that, since she was in a small car, she could be killed. I told her to buy and ear piece and use it. She blew me off, but I hope at least the fear of a psyco momma tracking her down will keep her safe. Oh, I also told her that I had her license number and if she did not give me her parents phone number so I could call them, I would call the MPs. Didn't call, but hopefully put the fear of God in her. I did not raise my voice though. I was not angry, just scared and worried for her as someone elses' daughter.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:53 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Recent poll results on nat'l tv ranked Ind. as having rudest drivers.

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:22 AM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
Hey, tell that guy to come to Philly. I want to see him bump someone and tell them he did it on purpose because they weren't moving fast enough. ROTFLMAO, I'd pay to see that

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote