Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #1

Just Curious

I have yet to purchase my first motor home but I am getting closer since I have been receiving lots of good information.

While checking lots of units online I have come across consignment people or scammers.

Here is a sample of responses I receive after asking a question on a unit.

Hi
This RV has absolutely no mechanical problem,the interior is like new, no accidents.I am letting it go for $12,000 shipping and handling included. I am selling it because my husband died and I moved out to Europe. Now it is at a warehouse in Whitehorse, YT ready to be delivered to its buyer with all the documents.Because I am not able to close the deal myself, I have chosen to use a third party company to handle the sale. This way we are both protected.
Let me know if you're interested and if you have questions.
Rebecca

NB - Same initial response for 6 units I wanted more information on.
Rebecca stopped communicating with me when I twice asked for the VIN on her unit.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................
Thank you for your interest in buying my rv. My 2003 Forest River Reflection 380 has 41,240 original kms, automatic transmission. It is in perfect condition, no need for additional repairs,no scratches, dings, rust, special marks whatsoever. The interior looks great. It runs like new and all services are up to date. Also, I need to mention that it was never involved in any accidents.
The price is $2,900 (non-negotiable). Because of my divorce settlement, I own this rv and I don`t need it because I have another vehicle so I'm trying to sell it as soon as possible. I gave the vehicle to Google Wallet who will deliver it to the next owner. The transaction will be made through Google Wallet for our own safety because I'm out of town with my job for another 3 weeks and I can't take care of this. The best part about this is that you'll get 5 days for inspection for free with no further obligation or fees.
If you're interested in purchasing it just email me your full name, full address and phone # so that I can initiate the deal through Google Wallet and they will contact you to explain the procedure.
PS: I can send more pics.
Thanks!

.................................................. .................

Hi,
This motorhome has absolutely no mechanical problem, the exterior has no scratches, rust or dents and the interior is like new, no accidents,26000 miles.I am letting it go for $13,500 shipping and handling included. I am selling it because my husband died and I don't need it anymore. Now it is at a warehouse in Whitehorse, YT ready to be delivered to its buyer with all the documents.Because I am not able to close the deal myself, I have chosen to use a third party company to handle the sale. This way we are both protected.
Amanda
NB - Amanda is selling several units also.
.................................................. ...........................

Hi,

This motorhome has absolutely no mechanical problem, the exterior has no scratches, rust or dents and the interior is like new, no accidents,yes it is safety checked.I am letting it go for $12,500 shipping and handling included. I am selling it because my husband died and I don't need it anymore. Now it is at a warehouse in Whitehorse, YT ready to be delivered to its buyer with all the documents.Because I am not able to close the deal myself, I have chosen to use a third party company to handle the sale. This way we are both protected.

Geraldine
.................................................. ...........................

Hi,

This RV has absolutely no mechanical problem,the interior is like new, no accidents.I am letting it go for $12,000 shipping and handling included. I am selling it because my husband died and I don't need it anymore. Now it is at a warehouse in Whitehorse, YT
ready to be delivered to its buyer with all the documents.Because I am not able to close the deal myself, I have chosen to use a third party company to handle the sale. This way we are both protected.
Rebecca
.................................................. ..................

'm sorry it took so long to get back to you but for unknown reasons your email went to my junk folder and did not check this folder for a while.
Please note that it's priced for a quick sale and my free time is limited so I'll spend the time & effort dealing only with those who are real potential buyers. This unit has absolutely no problems, well maintained. It's located in Yukon Territory ready to be delivered to its buyer with all the necessary documents. I'm letting it go with shipping and handling included. I had a job emergency and I had to go so for protection of both of us I would like the sale to go through an online firm. They will monitor all the transaction steps. So if you are really interested in buying contact me and I'll give you more details. Also, I can send you more pics.

Hi Ron,
Now let me explain you in this email everything about the sale process and if you agree to continue just send me an email. The transaction will be handled by JP Morgan; they have a service which was especially designed for this kind of situations. This service is authorized and regulated to provide full protection for my unit and for your funds as well, everything will be totally protected by law. In order to initiate the transaction I'll need your full name and the address where the unit to be delivered. After this they will contact you with all the transaction details. The deal would go like this:

You have to prove them that you own the necessary funds to complete a possible purchase, and for this you have to transfer the funds (WHICH ARE REFUNDABLE) to be held in a trust collection bank account of them. They will hold the funds until you receive and inspect the unit. Once the funds are confirmed by their bank, the delivery will start in 24 hours and it will take approx. 5 days until it gets to your address. You'll have 7 days for inspection from the moment the unit arrives to your address. If the unit is not like I described it, you have the right to cancel everything and you'll receive all your money back and the unit will be returned on my expense. This way I know that you have the money and you have time to inspect it before committing to purchase it, knowing that I don't have access to the funds. The funds will be safely and securely held and they will release the funds to me only with your confirmation. That would be a fair & safe arrangement for both of us.

Erik

Does anyone know if Google Wallet,Amazon Wallet or JP Morgan offer these services?

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Any info or opinion greatly appreciated as I have walked away from a couple of units I thought would have been a good buy but I was bad gut feeling about this whole deal.

Sorry about the length of this .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Scammers are common. Follow your gut feeling. It's right.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredHoser View Post
Has anyone had similar experiences?
Yes. Those are typical "scammer" responses. Apparently, some people fall for it, not sure why.
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Run like the wind and don't look back!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
I'm in such a hurry to get out the door and to the bank to send these guys a cheque that I keep tripping over my shoe laces.
It's amazing how many slimy low lives are out there ready to pounce on anyone.
Don't even consider those kind of responses.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Run Forrest, run!!!
Old 11-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #7

Wait you mean when they offer all the assurances this cannot be a scam, and a decade old unit offers less problems then a year old unit, they are in another country, did not try to sell before moving away, assure you a large corp who happens to handle the transaction purchasing a unit with no way to verify their ownership located in a remote location most likely no where near where they lived requiring a transfer of funds then the unit will magically be delivered may be a scam?! Why not move it out of a warehouse to say a dealership with some say traffic occurs for consignment, seems logical to me if I wanted to sell something. I know i'll sell you a unit but first let me send it to alert before you buy it, I all let the make model and year be a surprise, and I will let it go for the low low price of 3 duvets and 2700 emus.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #8

I was going to buy an RV like that, but I never got the $250,000 from the bank of Nigeria that I was suppossed to and I did send them the $500 processing fee.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Scammers

I enjoy dealing with scammers. I always right a VERY long response to take up thier time before I tell them I believe they are full of it. Anytime the response includes "out of the country" at all I discard it. Third party finance company to hold funds, discard it. I will also Google the company that is handling the "transaction" that will "not release the funds to the seller until the buyer notifies them they are satisfied". You will usually find on Google maps in the satellite view it is a residential area in some town or city. I have even found for example, the same tractor for sale in 6 different states with the same pictures advertising it for sale! I enjoyed that one. Told them I was going to track their IP address and notify the authorities. Never heard back from them. I am sure they are still out there scamming. I suspect it is profitable if you can live with yourself and like to be on the run for the rest of your life.
My advice is to buy local or from a dealer. There are many reputable sites that offer used RVs. As said previously, go with your gut feeling.
Good luck on your purchase and NEVER send money before you inspect the product and verify all details.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #10

When it sounds too good to be true, ..........
Old 11-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #11

All scams and best just ignore them. No legitimate responses there.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #12

JP Morgan!......REALLY? Now that's funny
Old 11-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #13

played with one for over forty minutes last month over a $500 couch I was selling. I finally ended it with letting them know I could only deal in cash with them since I was a wanted fugitive on the run and could not risk going into a bank or dealing with a third party that just scared me. LOL
Old 11-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvlaredo View Post
played with one for over forty minutes last month over a $500 couch I was selling. I finally ended it with letting them know I could only deal in cash with them since I was a wanted fugitive on the run and could not risk going into a bank or dealing with a third party that just scared me. LOL
Now that is a new one. I will remember to use that in the future. Very original! Love it.