Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is a prime reason that anyone towing more than a very small trailer, needs to have a license endorsement to prove they have at least read the rules and sort of understand towing. Towing a trailer is not as easy as driving a car, which there are lots of people out there that should not be doing.

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
In some states like Oregon, if the towing vehicle is overloaded for its weight capacity, the highway patrol will stop you, issue you a very large ticket ($ fine) and then will wait until you locate a tow vehicle large enough to handle the rig which is usually very expensive for every mile it is towed OUT of the state. The I-5 Freeway is one place where this happens often.

With regards to the people attempting to drive a combo rig this way, just remember one thing; You Can't Fix Stupid!

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 12-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #17
laj

Taxman, completely agree. I would also like to see special licenses for driving any size mh, including instruction covering all breaking systems, juice and air, along with a med. certificate. Do it at the fed level so you have a uniform code for all states and fed highways.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #18
laj

Sorry, i meant txman
Old 12-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #19

iRV2 No Limits Club
I often wonder how we weekend and vacation camped without killing ourselves.

The "tow vehicle" was whatever daily driver we had at the time, and sometimes it was not a good match.

I suspect that many other weekenders are the same.

Full timers tow ...a lot. Thye understand the importance of a well set up rig and invest in the same.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I see at least one of these every trip fro PA to FL. Plus, I see many trailers where the safety chains are not crossed.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
taxman, completely agree. I would also like to see special licenses for driving any size mh, including instruction covering all breaking systems, juice and air, along with a med. Certificate. Do it at the fed level so you have a uniform code for all states and fed highways.
more big brother...........bad idea !!!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #22
laj

From that perspective i agree. To many out there running on dangerous med. conditions and lots of mental stupidity. Not a good fix, but how else would you accomplish it? It needs to be addressed. New CDL rules starting first of the yr. might as well change all licenses.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
From that perspective i agree. To many out there running on dangerous med. conditions and lots of mental stupidity. Not a good fix, but how else would you accomplish it? It needs to be addressed. New CDL rules starting first of the yr. might as well change all licenses.
Keep the Government out of my life and let the natural selection process weed out the rest. All the testing, rules and regulation will not control the ignorant amongst us. Nor will it protect you from the idiots.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Keep the Government out of my life and let the natural selection process weed out the rest.

Problem is they weed out some of the good folks along the way. If you can't demonstrate you can drive an RV, you should not drive one. Driving is an earned privilege, not a God given right.

Ken
Old 12-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Problem is they weed out some of the good folks along the way. If you can't demonstrate you can drive an RV, you should not drive one. Driving is an earned privilege, not a God given right.

Ken
Assuming that everyone you see driving a car has been tested, you see how well that has worked out.
I actually, in all of my years driving I have never seen an out of control RV, Motor homes or Trailers. You read about cars crashing into RVs and RVs going off the road, but most of the poor, timid RV drivers are creeping down the interstates at a slow pace. A sense of survival seems to come into play.
I prefer to keep as many freedoms as I can and that I fought for. We are losing them every day and the last thing I need is the DMV nitwits controlling any more of my life.

We should probably agree to dissagree and remain friends and hopefully share a beer someday. (I do understand your point though )
Old 12-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I actually, in all of my years driving I have never seen an out of control RV, Motor homes or Trailers.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but despite my never personally having seen the Indian Ocean, I'm perfectly willing to accept that it exists based on other eyewitnesses' testimony...
Old 12-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Ken
I couldn't agree more Ken. Most people that have troubles pulling a trailer are the ones who have no idea. It looks so simple, everyone does it, what can go wrong.
I see people out there with little suv's pulling big travel trailers that some rv dealer sold them and said "oh yeah it will be good". Some get away with it some don't.
I was driving down the road one day with a fully loaded log truck, and some guy in a half ton pickup towing a long travel trailer comes up beside me. The next thing I know his trailer starts to sway and barely misses my front fender. I apply the brakes as hard as I can without loosing control and he flips on his side right in front of me. He also hits the car in front of me and it looses control and goes in the ditch. Those two people got an ambulance ride to the hospital and fortunately were not badly injured. Lucky for me and everyone else I got stopped without killing them all. This is one example and I personally have seen allot more.

Yeah, I think people should have to pass at least a written test to show that they are aware of what can happen if you don't have the right equipment. It is no different then getting a licence to drive a car. Or upgrading to drive a commercial truck. Or should the government stay out of that too.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
I couldn't agree more Ken. Most people that have troubles pulling a trailer are the ones who have no idea. It looks so simple, everyone does it, what can go wrong.
I see people out there with little suv's pulling big travel trailers that some rv dealer sold them and said "oh yeah it will be good". Some get away with it some don't.
I was driving down the road one day with a fully loaded log truck, and some guy in a half ton pickup towing a long travel trailer comes up beside me. The next thing I know his trailer starts to sway and barely misses my front fender. I apply the brakes as hard as I can without loosing control and he flips on his side right in front of me. He also hits the car in front of me and it looses control and goes in the ditch. Those two people got an ambulance ride to the hospital and fortunately were not badly injured. Lucky for me and everyone else I got stopped without killing them all. This is one example and I personally have seen allot more.

Yeah, I think people should have to pass at least a written test to show that they are aware of what can happen if you don't have the right equipment. It is no different then getting a licence to drive a car. Or upgrading to drive a commercial truck. Or should the government stay out of that too.
I don't think we should get on the slippery slope about commercial drivers. I have spent too much time on the Interstates to try and tell me how wonderful some of them" drive ", and they are tested six ways from Sunday. For a real thrill get a look at some of them in the pay line at a Truck Stop. The days of the Noble truck driver are a few years behind us. Thank the Lord there are still some out there.

Sadly, I am a dying breed, and want to control my own life without the Government trying to protect me from myself, the fools and bad guys and 5150's. I wish to take my chances in whats left of a free world.

However, I do value each and everyone opinions wether I agree or not. Before I need a TUMS, I'm outta here !!