Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #29
laj

I agree with a lot of all of you guys. The one thing i would really like to see is some type of med. certificate stating med. soundness. There are some situations that should just disqualify being able to drive a 20000 lb torpedo. Either use the form for the CDL or the FAA form. Again Chuck i don't like gov. In my business but if conditions warrant it should exclude some drivers.
Not the perfect answer, but what is. But chuck, you pick the spot, I'll have the cold beer

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can test until the cows come home and some people will never get the idea that the laws apply to them as well. But still with proper testing you are giving everyone the opportunity to learn the right ways. After that, the idiots will continue on their merry way, but they should know that they are wrong in certain actions.

Laws are written in an attempt to make people do the right thing, even though they do not want to follow the rules. If it were a perfect world and everyone was of a like and reasonable intelligence there would be no need for all of the silly laws. But it seems that on the whole people are getting dumber or simple do not care enough about their fellow man, to do the right thing.

Ken

Old 12-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
I agree that there are alot of bad commercial drivers as well as other bad drivers. It is getting harder to admit that I made a living at that years ago. Testing sure won't cure the problem but might screen out a few.
I can't imagine what it would be like if they didn't have traffic laws and testing. If the government doesn't do it then who will? Natural selection is fine right up till your family gets wiped out.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
I agree with a lot of all of you guys. The one thing i would really like to see is some type of med. certificate stating med. soundness. There are some situations that should just disqualify being able to drive a 20000 lb torpedo. Either use the form for the CDL or the FAA form. Again Chuck i don't like gov. In my business but if conditions warrant it should exclude some drivers.
Not the perfect answer, but what is. But chuck, you pick the spot, I'll have the cold beer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
You can test until the cows come home and some people will never get the idea that the laws apply to them as well. But still with proper testing you are giving everyone the opportunity to learn the right ways. After that, the idiots will continue on their merry way, but they should know that they are wrong in certain actions.

Laws are written in an attempt to make people do the right thing, even though they do not want to follow the rules. If it were a perfect world and everyone was of a like and reasonable intelligence there would be no need for all of the silly laws. But it seems that on the whole people are getting dumber or simple do not care enough about their fellow man, to do the right thing.

Ken
No more talking for me, but beer is good !
What got me started with this conversation is that it is raining here in California and I don't feel like walking down to my shop. So I dropped the turd into the punch bowl so to speek, and thats what got me involved.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Beer will be fine as long as it is from a nice microbrewery...none of the swill from Bud, Miller, coors or the likes....or a nice snifter of brandy will work as well.

Ken
Old 12-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
12/27 on I-475 South Macon, Ga bypass. Around daylight or a bit later.
I was heading south and see this travel trailer about 400 yards in front of me start swaying and wagging it's tail like a dog that is happy to see you.

Weather must be really bad for someone to want to get South with a rig set up like that.
That would scare me too! You don't know what you're going to meet up with out on the roads. he probably doesn't know any better.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #35
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Ken
It seems to me that most people (including me some times) push the laws/rules as far as they think they can get away with it.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #36

The stupid eliminate themselves.... and hopefully not anyone else...
Old 12-30-2012, 12:33 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
I like the turd in the punch bowel, I had a good laugh on that. Your right beer is good!!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
The stupid eliminate themselves.... and hopefully not anyone else...
Unfortunately the stupid almost always survive, usually unscathed but take out the innocent in the process.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #39

I live in central Indiana and as a result see a LOT of commercial drivers hauling 5th Wheels and TTs from the factories to their final destination. Unfortunately I have observed some of the most unsafe towing combinations from these "professional" drivers with a a DOT placard on the side of their truck.

Just because you have a 2500 or 3500 series truck does not mean you can automatically tow any trailer you want without first taking the time to carefully and correctly set it up. Many of the ones I see on a daily basis don't use any WD hitch and have an extreme nose-high or nose-low attitude on the front of the trailer. Makes me wonder how poorly my TT was handled before I purchased it.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by itscottw View Post
I live in central Indiana and as a result see a LOT of commercial drivers hauling 5th Wheels and TTs from the factories to their final destination. Unfortunately I have observed some of the most unsafe towing combinations from these "professional" drivers with a a DOT placard on the side of their truck.

Just because you have a 2500 or 3500 series truck does not mean you can automatically tow any trailer you want without first taking the time to carefully and correctly set it up. Many of the ones I see on a daily basis don't use any WD hitch and have an extreme nose-high or nose-low attitude on the front of the trailer. Makes me wonder how poorly my TT was handled before I purchased it.
I tow all the time, TTs without WD hitch. Heavy trucks only create additional stress to the TT. I am sure they are aware of the hitch weight as an empty trailer has better hitch weight. You never see WD on equipment trailers. WDs are for vehicles that need front end weight added. My diesel has lots with 1000lbs on the hitch. I am sure lite TTs would be stressed with a ton truck with WD set up.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:31 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
I tow all the time, TTs without WD hitch. Heavy trucks only create additional stress to the TT. I am sure they are aware of the hitch weight as an empty trailer has better hitch weight. You never see WD on equipment trailers. WDs are for vehicles that need front end weight added. My diesel has lots with 1000lbs on the hitch. I am sure lite TTs would be stressed with a ton truck with WD set up.
You are correct these trucks can handle the hitch weight in many cases. However, my main point (which I didn't do a good job of emphasizing) was about the extreme nose-high or nose-low attitude I see on many of these - often with an associated tail-wag. I see trailers oscillating back and forth behind heavy duty trucks and professional haulers almost as often as I see this condition behind obviously over-loaded trucks.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #42

oh come on .... my dad towed our 24' TT with his brand new Ford LTD (mid-70s). He absolutely refused to spend $$ on anti-sway bars. That trailer swung left and right like a water skier behind a speed boat. I lived to tell about it! : > )