Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #29
laj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,199
I agree with a lot of all of you guys. The one thing i would really like to see is some type of med. certificate stating med. soundness. There are some situations that should just disqualify being able to drive a 20000 lb torpedo. Either use the form for the CDL or the FAA form. Again Chuck i don't like gov. In my business but if conditions warrant it should exclude some drivers.
Not the perfect answer, but what is. But chuck, you pick the spot, I'll have the cold beer
__________________

__________________
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus
 
TXiceman's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Full Time, TX Home Base
Posts: 17,141
Blog Entries: 21
You can test until the cows come home and some people will never get the idea that the laws apply to them as well. But still with proper testing you are giving everyone the opportunity to learn the right ways. After that, the idiots will continue on their merry way, but they should know that they are wrong in certain actions.

Laws are written in an attempt to make people do the right thing, even though they do not want to follow the rules. If it were a perfect world and everyone was of a like and reasonable intelligence there would be no need for all of the silly laws. But it seems that on the whole people are getting dumber or simple do not care enough about their fellow man, to do the right thing.

Ken
__________________

__________________
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
slickest1's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: B.C.
Posts: 3,093
I agree that there are alot of bad commercial drivers as well as other bad drivers. It is getting harder to admit that I made a living at that years ago. Testing sure won't cure the problem but might screen out a few.
I can't imagine what it would be like if they didn't have traffic laws and testing. If the government doesn't do it then who will? Natural selection is fine right up till your family gets wiped out.
__________________
Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Chuck 1935's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shadow Hills,CA 91040
Posts: 3,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
I agree with a lot of all of you guys. The one thing i would really like to see is some type of med. certificate stating med. soundness. There are some situations that should just disqualify being able to drive a 20000 lb torpedo. Either use the form for the CDL or the FAA form. Again Chuck i don't like gov. In my business but if conditions warrant it should exclude some drivers.
Not the perfect answer, but what is. But chuck, you pick the spot, I'll have the cold beer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
You can test until the cows come home and some people will never get the idea that the laws apply to them as well. But still with proper testing you are giving everyone the opportunity to learn the right ways. After that, the idiots will continue on their merry way, but they should know that they are wrong in certain actions.

Laws are written in an attempt to make people do the right thing, even though they do not want to follow the rules. If it were a perfect world and everyone was of a like and reasonable intelligence there would be no need for all of the silly laws. But it seems that on the whole people are getting dumber or simple do not care enough about their fellow man, to do the right thing.

Ken
No more talking for me, but beer is good !
What got me started with this conversation is that it is raining here in California and I don't feel like walking down to my shop. So I dropped the turd into the punch bowl so to speek, and thats what got me involved.
__________________
NOTE; I am not responsible for typos, poor grammer or misspelled word !
04 Itasca, Meridian 34H, 330 Cat/2003 CR V Toad
1933 Ford 3 Window,as seen in Bye Bye Birdie
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus
 
TXiceman's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Full Time, TX Home Base
Posts: 17,141
Blog Entries: 21
Beer will be fine as long as it is from a nice microbrewery...none of the swill from Bud, Miller, coors or the likes....or a nice snifter of brandy will work as well.

Ken
__________________
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
RanCarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
12/27 on I-475 South Macon, Ga bypass. Around daylight or a bit later.
I was heading south and see this travel trailer about 400 yards in front of me start swaying and wagging it's tail like a dog that is happy to see you.

Weather must be really bad for someone to want to get South with a rig set up like that.
That would scare me too! You don't know what you're going to meet up with out on the roads. he probably doesn't know any better.
__________________
Retired. RVing with one husband and five cats.
1999 32' Fleetwood Southwind Class-A. Ford V10.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #35
CD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Kingston, Wa. USA
Posts: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
You can test until the cows come home and some people will never get the idea that the laws apply to them as well. But still with proper testing you are giving everyone the opportunity to learn the right ways. After that, the idiots will continue on their merry way, but they should know that they are wrong in certain actions.

Laws are written in an attempt to make people do the right thing, even though they do not want to follow the rules. If it were a perfect world and everyone was of a like and reasonable intelligence there would be no need for all of the silly laws. But it seems that on the whole people are getting dumber or simple do not care enough about their fellow man, to do the right thing.

Ken
It seems to me that most people (including me some times) push the laws/rules as far as they think they can get away with it.
__________________
Cliff

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
MRBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 468
The stupid eliminate themselves.... and hopefully not anyone else...
__________________
Bill & Linda. If it doesn't move and should, WD-40 it. If it moves and shouldn't, duct tape it. F-350 dually, 40' Sunnybrook Titan toy hauler and custom Harley
MRBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:33 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
slickest1's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: B.C.
Posts: 3,093
I like the turd in the punch bowel, I had a good laugh on that. Your right beer is good!!
__________________
Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
Gadget63's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fair Play, SC
Posts: 986
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
The stupid eliminate themselves.... and hopefully not anyone else...
Unfortunately the stupid almost always survive, usually unscathed but take out the innocent in the process.
__________________
Richie, Rose and our Australian Terrier Harley
2004 Bounder 35R, 2012 ACME EZtow,2012 Kia Rio Hatchback
Gadget63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 29
I live in central Indiana and as a result see a LOT of commercial drivers hauling 5th Wheels and TTs from the factories to their final destination. Unfortunately I have observed some of the most unsafe towing combinations from these "professional" drivers with a a DOT placard on the side of their truck.

Just because you have a 2500 or 3500 series truck does not mean you can automatically tow any trailer you want without first taking the time to carefully and correctly set it up. Many of the ones I see on a daily basis don't use any WD hitch and have an extreme nose-high or nose-low attitude on the front of the trailer. Makes me wonder how poorly my TT was handled before I purchased it.
__________________
itscottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
caissiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by itscottw View Post
I live in central Indiana and as a result see a LOT of commercial drivers hauling 5th Wheels and TTs from the factories to their final destination. Unfortunately I have observed some of the most unsafe towing combinations from these "professional" drivers with a a DOT placard on the side of their truck.

Just because you have a 2500 or 3500 series truck does not mean you can automatically tow any trailer you want without first taking the time to carefully and correctly set it up. Many of the ones I see on a daily basis don't use any WD hitch and have an extreme nose-high or nose-low attitude on the front of the trailer. Makes me wonder how poorly my TT was handled before I purchased it.
I tow all the time, TTs without WD hitch. Heavy trucks only create additional stress to the TT. I am sure they are aware of the hitch weight as an empty trailer has better hitch weight. You never see WD on equipment trailers. WDs are for vehicles that need front end weight added. My diesel has lots with 1000lbs on the hitch. I am sure lite TTs would be stressed with a ton truck with WD set up.
__________________
Barbara and Laurent, Hartland Big Country 3500RL. 39 ft long and 15500 GVW.
2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Hypertech Max Energy for Fuel mileage of 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. ScangaugeII for display..
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:31 AM   #41
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
I tow all the time, TTs without WD hitch. Heavy trucks only create additional stress to the TT. I am sure they are aware of the hitch weight as an empty trailer has better hitch weight. You never see WD on equipment trailers. WDs are for vehicles that need front end weight added. My diesel has lots with 1000lbs on the hitch. I am sure lite TTs would be stressed with a ton truck with WD set up.
You are correct these trucks can handle the hitch weight in many cases. However, my main point (which I didn't do a good job of emphasizing) was about the extreme nose-high or nose-low attitude I see on many of these - often with an associated tail-wag. I see trailers oscillating back and forth behind heavy duty trucks and professional haulers almost as often as I see this condition behind obviously over-loaded trucks.
__________________
itscottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #42
Member
 
marielw824's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 71
oh come on .... my dad towed our 24' TT with his brand new Ford LTD (mid-70s). He absolutely refused to spend $$ on anti-sway bars. That trailer swung left and right like a water skier behind a speed boat. I lived to tell about it! : > )
__________________

__________________
Joe & Mariel Warren, Swan Valley, ID/Seattle, WA
'97 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, 2011 Dutchman Voltage, and a 90LB Yellow Lab
marielw824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.