Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
doc

Appalachian Campers
Just dangerous

12/27 on I-475 South Macon, Ga bypass. Around daylight or a bit later.
I was heading south and see this travel trailer about 400 yards in front of me start swaying and wagging it's tail like a dog that is happy to see you. The end of the trailer was moving so bad I thought it was about to turn over. I slowed down, not wanting to be involved when it rolled. He got it straightened up and it ran straight for a few seconds and then danged if it didn't start again. I got in the far left lane and got away from this guy as fast as I could. He was towing with a Suburban that was squatted pretty bad in the rear. I could not tell if there was a load leveling hitch or not, not if there was a anti-sway. If so, neither was working very well.
The trailer was not overly long but something was definitely wrong with the geometry or loading. The rig was from Michigan, the trailer was an Innsbruck (sp?) and Suburban was a light tan. The driver was a w/male, balding.
The kicker was when I went by him, he was sitting there sipping on a cup of coffee or something - like he was used to this. I cannot imagine this going on all the way from Michigan. Weather must be really bad for someone to want to get South with a rig set up like that.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Unfortunately, most drivers don't realize just how much sway is in their trailer while sitting in the driver seat. The first big trip we made with our TT I had my son in law follow us and via walkie talkies he let us know what was going on back there. It's always a good idea to have a CB radio so you can ask truckers if they see any problems with your TT

Old 12-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #3

Obviously you did the correct thing,,, GET AWAY !!!! Be it slow down , or safely pass like you did... Good job ! That is a wreck looking for a place to happen... Some people just don't have a clue.... MY OPINION....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget63 View Post
Unfortunately, most drivers don't realize just how much sway is in their trailer while sitting in the driver seat. The first big trip we made with our TT I had my son in law follow us and via walkie talkies he let us know what was going on back there. It's always a good idea to have a CB radio so you can ask truckers if they see any problems with your TT
Good post !! How many threads have been about people hitting something with the overhang of a longer rv,, or trailer ? Some never look in the mirrors... I'll say before I'm told I'm wrong,,, Nobody is perfect,,, Nobody,,, but you can learn so much by reading a forum like this, a lot of times it will save you (or others) a lot of grief... Watch those mirrors !!!
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Obviously you did the correct thing,,, GET AWAY !!!! Be it slow down , or safely pass like you did... Good job ! That is a wreck looking for a place to happen... Some people just don't have a clue.... MY OPINION....
X2, when I had my TT I always knew when it started shaking it's groove thing! ( sorry, 70's disco reference)
jimroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #6

It was pretty windy around the area that day. Wife and I were headed up to Atlanta airport from Warner Robins and also got into that 2 semi pile up on I-75 northbound about 40 miles south of atlanta. Took us 45 min to go 2 miles to the mandatory exit. We burned up some of our "just in case" time, but still made it to the airport with 60 mins. to spare....but then the lines inside....oh man. Saw alot of semi's waggin their tails, too.

Jaye(Mn)
Old 12-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Just last summer I caught up to a similar scenario while traveling on a winding secondary highway. This guy was towing a 26 or 28 ft. travel trailer with a front wheel drive mini-van. The back bumper of the van was almost dragging on the ground. He was only doing 30 mph, but it was all over the road. You got to wonder.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used to have a 13 foot Scamp, less than 2,000 pounds, I pulled it with a 3/4 ton Dodge Maxi Van and let me tell you the first time out that sucker dang near gave me heart failure, I mean it was white knuckle and "minimum speeds" all the way to where I was going.

I added some ballast, a REESE friction anti-sway and ... Well, she tracked like nobody's business after that.

Fact is not so much that folks do not know.. It's that they do not care.

When I got the Class A, I removed the ballast before towing to the dealer,, but I still used the Reese hitch, Towed it with 4,000 pounds of Chevy Lumina,, Even when the tire blew (Empty trailer, old tire) it tracked like .. Well it tracked well, no sway at all. Pulled off onto shoulder nicely where I popped on ye-old-spare and made it the rest of the way to the aforementioned dealer.

That was a 13 foot LONG trailer

Right now, set up as it is, this class a is also 13 foot... WIDE
Old 12-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #9

Pulled into a rest area the other day with my 40' 5th and F-350. I pulled up next to a guy with a 2500 gas chevy PU with a big Excel 5th hooked up. The truck looked like it was a squished bug with the bumper only 8" off the ground and the tires looked flat.

He was checking something on the truck and I said looks like you need some more truck. He replied "We aren't all rich like you"..... Wonder how far he made it...
Old 12-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding that "We are not all rich" comment......

Using a big enough tow vehicle is actually cheaper than using too little truck for a couple of reasons.

One, Tow vehicle life.. If nothing bad happens (I mean worse) he's tearing up his truck overloading it like that.

Two: When the overloaded tow vehicle looses control and things start goign sideways.. He's now out both tow vehicle AND trailer. Perhaps he can get a bigger tow and a smaller trailer with the insurance.. if that is he has any.

third: The bill someone like me will hand him if his rig should kiss mine when that loss of control happens.. if I decide there is a serious overload.. And yes, I know what to look for.. i'm gonnna call Ben Dover & C. Howit Feels Attornies at law (Fictional firm... I hope) and talk to them about "Reckless engangerment" and then i'll be rich like you.. At his expense.

And this all assumes nobody gets killed.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Amazing that a salesman who has a degree in B.S. can get something by a person who has no degree in common sense.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
i was towing a 22 foot trailer with a bob cat on it. the cat shifted toward the rear of the trailer. Man did it start to wag, if i slowed down it went wild then if i sped up it go even worse. I managed to get to the side of the road luckily there was a large grass shouder. When i hit that the show was on. the trailer pushed me into a jack knife, i slid a distance before hitting a highway fense. ended up totalling out a dually and the trailer. that was a really bad day
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
You'd be surprised how many trailer owners aren't aware of how dangerous sway is until they get flipped by it.

In many states, my own included, if you're seen by the Law with your rig swaying like that you'll get a ticket for "allowing a trailer to oscillate". A few years ago, a neighbor of ours in Sequim got such a ticket...unfortunately for her, it was received after the trailer she was towing began to sway and broke away from the truck, which went over an embankment. Her husband was killed.

In my opinion, it'd be a kindness (and potentially a lifesaver) to immediately report such a rig to 911. I think any Trooper in the area will look for, stop, and "correct" the driver.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:37 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Trailer sway

I welded up a motorcycle trailer once and placed the axle so the tongue weight was pretty light after the bikes were on. Turns out there's more to building, balancing, and loading a trailer than I thought. This trailer towed like a dream but wagged like a dog. The reality is you need 60% or more of the trailer weight on the tongue. I think more about tongue weight and Center of Gravity when I load a utility trailer than ai used to.

2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote