Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-21-2015, 12:12 PM   #1
Kansas couple perish in RV crash

This young couple was from my hometown Lawrence, Kansas.. Please pray for their family.

Retired Kansas couple dies when RV crashes in Metro East, engulfs in flames : News

Ksjayhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2015, 01:30 PM   #2
That link just hijacks my browser and wants me to answer a survey before allowing me to read the story.

keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Using safari and had no problems opening the link. My thoughts to the family.
2008 Itasca Latitude 39W
FLman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:15 PM   #4

Also had no problems opening the link.
I'm wondering what are the safety measures the manufacturers are making to allow exits on RVs. I don't currently own one but researching.
Is there anything like a sprinkler system that could be added to the living quarters.
Francina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:23 PM   #5
I wonder if an open propane tank contributed to the fire
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:48 PM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No,an open propane tank did not contribute any significant amount to the fire.

Link works fine with Firefox.

We have a post here,, a Sticky the title talks of watching videos and saving your life... WATCH IT..

I learned from watching those videos (Well some things I learned that way)

Thankfully I have had the good luck since to blow tires at my favorite tire blowing speed.. 0.0MPH.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:00 PM   #7
Just re read the article and I don't see how one can conclude that an open propane tank didn't significantly contribute to the fire. Very tragic but they were doing something they loved.
JEdgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:02 PM   #8
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
This is another link without the survey. Kansas couple dies in fiery crash on I-64 | Metro-east news | News Democrat

Appears to be a DP, the front end took a hard impact, ejecting appliances.

Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:29 PM   #9
Man, that video was heartbreaking! Not much left. It said in the article that all the appliances were thrown clear of the wreck from the impact so that was a helluva collision. Not a simple sign post to do that much damage. Probably ruptured the fuel tank and sprayed everything in fuel.

Really makes you think.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:44 PM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My thoughts and prayers to all involved. I have had a Motorhome Fire and was fortunate we all were able to get out and no one was injured.
Johnny Rotten
2009 American Eagle 42'
Trailering HD Road Glide and Saab 9.3 or Cadillac Escalade ESV
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:53 PM   #11
It doesn't look like all the appliances were thrown out. It looks like they're laying on the inside of the sidewall. The MH must have been going at highway speeds when he hit the post - a very forcefull impact. The car rammed into the engine in the rear.

Check your tires folks. The cost of new tires is minimal compared to this tragedy.

This type of accident doesn't just apply to motorhomes. We came across an accident shortly after it happened where a truck tire blew and the driver lost control and overturned. The 5th wheel broke away from the truck and careened down an embankment and burst into flames. The couple were also killed.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:27 PM   #12
Excel Owners Club
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family. I went to high school with Ervin. Such a loving, caring man!
'11 Excel Limited 33GKS, 2011 Chevy Duramax Dually 4x4, semi-retired farm/rancher, DW, Kate beagle.If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine:it's lethal."
maddog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:32 PM   #13
Monaco Owners Club
A terrifying reminder of the risks we all take when embarking within our homes-on-wheels upon the Interstate. Heartfelt wishes to all the family and friends.
C.A. Roesner
...as remote as possible with a strong internet signal
'01 Monaco Windsor 38' "Butter Ball"' w/'04 Scion XA in tow
Butter Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:46 PM   #14
iRV2 No Limits Club
Propane tanks have a high flow shutoff valve, if a line breaks or even if you turn the propane on too fast it shuts the flow off. So it's very doubtful that the propane contributed to the initial fire. In fact it looks like the propane cyl laying on the ground, intact, in the ruins in several of the pictures. And it looks to be intact, so it didn't even blow up although it could have ruptured where it can't be seen.

The fuel tank on most DP's is right behind the front axle and generator. Hitting an abutment like that would push the generator back into the fuel tank and rupture it.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote