Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
Karr Key Ignition cut system

Our 2000 Monaco Diplomat came with a device labeled Karr Key. Key looks like small stereo plug with mold key top. Key plugs into a jack that seems to be connected by four wires to three of the primary ignition wires. I do not have a wiring schematic for device. When I Google on Karr Key I get listings about Key Fob remotes so I suspect device is not made anymore.

Anyone have any information on this product? I'd like to remove from ignition system.

Thank you

Pat - Walnut Creek, CA
2000 Monaco Diplomat 36DS
2008 Saturn Vue XE
cpat39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Most such devices are simply ignition cut-outs. You can't start the vehicle without a plug (or similar device) in the jack, supposedly making the vehicle harder to steal.

Karr is now seems to be part of Southwest Dealer Services. The anti-theft ignition devices have fallen out of favor, but they may still be able to provide some tech help on the old system.
SouthWest Dealer Services | Karr

But I suspect you can figure it out on your own. The wires either interrupt the ignition circuit or ground it out unless the plug is in place. Study it for a bit and you will probably realize which technique is used and how to remove the Karr box from the circuit.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
My 2000 Diplomat does not have a Karr Key. I suspect it was an added device.
2000 Monaco Diplomat 40PBD
2012 Grand Cherokee Limited
2008 FatBoy, three spoiled Great Danes and a cat.
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
Karr Key response

Gentlemen, thank you for taking the time to respond. Greg, thank you for locating Karr on web, I had looked high and low using Google without success. We just returned from 4 day trip in coach and I had used a bit of that time to pull the Karr system out from under the dash.
Interesting bunch of cheap trickery. The main white lead from ignition switch had been cut and the Karr system spliced into the white lead. Two other leads had 3m inline clips attached to two other ignition wires leading back to Karr. The Karr system was a small black box and and a buzzer. I could see what to disconnect and reconnect, but the installer had somehow crimped or crushed the connectors so tight I could not disconnect with fingers. Will attack this week with a couple of pairs of pliers to see if I can disconnect before cutting leads.
Very much appreciate the comments.

Pat - Walnut Creek, CA
2008 Saturn Vue XE
Old 10-02-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
Looks like I reversed who did what. Gary, thanks for help in locating Karr on web.
Pat - Walnut Creek, CA
2008 Saturn Vue XE