Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #1

Keep tripping breaker

Hello All,

I have a 1996 Forest River Wildcat Travel Trailer, 30 amp service, currently at a KOA in Oklahoma. No problems until a few days ago. I keep tripping the circuit breaker at the pole. It doesn't trip when the a/c turns on, but yes after it has been on for 1-2 hours. (so I don't think it is a failing a/c compressor). It will trip when I try to plug in too many things. It has tripped on the RV circuit panel on occasion, but >80% of the time it is at the pole. This was a used RV, and it looks like the 30 amp plug has been rewired, and it was VERY HOT at the pole, and at least one of the prongs looks bent. I have a second air conditioner (thank goodness) that always works fine at a separate plug at the pole (so I don't think its the pole). This started 4 days ago, and has grown worse. The last four days, the fan at the converter runs almost continuously, even when nothing is running (besides the fridge, water heater).

I don't have a lot of money to spend on repairs, and this is my home for at least a year. I can change the plug if you think it would help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!!
Ljohn2030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Ljohn2030 if the breaker trips only after an hour or so it is most likely the breaker is weak so I would see if they will repace it or move you to a different space. Also sounds like you are runing right at the max amp so if it is hot out this will cause the breaker trip. hope this hellps
Old 07-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it takes that long to trip I'm guessing the breaker will feel hot to the thouch as well.

Might be a bad connection, , Often you can rick the breker a bit toward you and back a few times (Do this with the breaker off) sometimes it it tipped way down and simply pushing back on the TOP end of the breaker fixes it.

Of course, that's for Square D type breakers, Some of the breakers I've seen in parks I have not seen anywhere else, not even other parks.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
YC1

At least clean the prongs shiny and bright. Put something to shade the breaker panel if it is in the sun. Put a fan on it if possible. It sounds like your batteries are causing the inverter/charger to run constantly. Check the water level on them and clean the terminals shiny. If your refer is on electric, change it to propane during the day. If you are using electric for the hot water heater, put that on propane too. If you can plug into another post nearby try that. If it gets hot too I would change the plug out. I probably would in any case. Once they start wearing out they can overheat easily.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #5

Replace the breaker?

Thank you for all the good advice.

I believe the breaker may be weak. Do you mean the breaker in the RV? or on the post (shore power)? I can change both, if necessary.

I will replace the plug this weekend - no problem there.

I will try plugging into the next post to see if it makes a difference.

Thank you again!
Old 07-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Ljohn the breaker that keeps blowing is the weak braeker.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check the plug and breaker box for a hot connections, it could be a loose connection or a weak breaker.

If the breaker is in the sun and it is old, it may be weak and tripping. The breaker is a thermally tripped device. excess current makes it warmer and the thermal link will trip.

If the male plug is bad, it can also be causing the breaker box to get hot. The female plug should not show signs of heat or smoke.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman
Check the plug and breaker box for a hot connections, it could be a loose connection or a weak breaker.

If the breaker is in the sun and it is old, it may be weak and tripping. The breaker is a thermally tripped device. excess current makes it warmer and the thermal link will trip.

If the male plug is bad, it can also be causing the breaker box to get hot. The female plug should not show signs of heat or smoke.

Ken
The receptacle could be loose on the blades of your plug, thus causing high current draw. If the plug itself is hot, connections could be the issue. Wear and people not being gentle and holding a hanging cord can take its toll on the receptacle also.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Talk to the CG manager about it, they may be able to change out the breaker or move you.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:08 AM   #10

I think you need to deal with whatever is heating that plug up? If it's dirty and causing high resistance, or if the wires have worn (frayed ?) inside it to the point they are no longer capable of carrying rated capacity, or if you are simply trying to pull too much power. Whatever! That plug should never be more than just warm to the touch. If it's getting hot you have an issue.... The breakers blowing are trying to tell you something.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #11

Thank you all

Thank you all for the good advice. I have a 30 to 50 amp converter cable. I plugged the RV 30 amp 3 prong into the cable, and then into the 50 amp receptacle at the CG pole. No problems since then - even with a/c, TV running. It looks like the previous owner drove off with the plug in the receptacle, because a nasty plug is in its place - bent prongs (would barely plug into converter cable). I plan to change the plug to a new one today - but it is 105 deg outside already....

Thank you again!