Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2016, 06:06 PM   #1

Keeping batteries charged

Would like to ask those with years of experience this question: is it ok to keep my Country Coach plugged in continuously? The inverter keeps the house batteries charged....but can this harm the batteries when we are not using the coach? Thanks for your wisdom and response...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2016, 06:11 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl989mich View Post
Would like to ask those with years of experience this question: is it ok to keep my Country Coach plugged in continuously? The inverter keeps the house batteries charged....but can this harm the batteries when we are not using the coach? Thanks for your wisdom and response...
I always used a battery tender. It uses very little power and desulfates the batteries. I don't like keeping the coach plugged in because of the danger of a lightening strike.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:15 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
It shouldn't if it's a reasonably modern inverter smart charger.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:40 PM   #4

Your CC is not your average coach and I'm sure will have premium battery maintenance system. It should maintain battery voltage at 13.6 to 13.8 VDC. No problem leaving it plugged in continuously.

I keep my Dutchstar plugged in 24-7 unless we are on the road.
If you have Wet Cell (Flooded) Batteries, just make sure to check water levels at least every 3 months and top up with distilled water as required. You don't want the level to go below the plates which will severely reduce battery life.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:55 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If quality charger, not a problem. If a single stage or similar charger I would suggest to upgrade it or use a separate quality battery maintainer.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl989mich View Post
keep a eye on the water level.some over charge and the batteries need water monthly
Old 05-11-2016, 08:01 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Multi cell auto fill kit really works nice, wish had them on my boats in the past.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-11-2016, 08:06 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine are always being kept up. If not on shore power, I have solar power. I don't turn tue use/store button even to store. When it sits without shorepower, it draws during the night enough to give it a slight discharge and the solar charges it up to max the next day. Just keep an eye on your water level if you have wet batteries.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:33 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

No harm, but do check the water in the cells once in awhile if they are the flooded cell type (not sealed). The 3-stage charger in your CC will do a fine and safe job of keeping the charge up.

Our coach is 12 years old and rarely unplugged unless we are driving. And even then the genset may be running...
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:58 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We keep our rig plugged in and the fridge running when we are home. I do check the batteries occasionally and add distilled water when needed.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:50 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We keep our rig plugged in and the fridge running when we are home. I do check the batteries occasionally and add distilled water when needed.

Do you have a residential or absorption fridge?
Old 05-12-2016, 12:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
It shouldn't if it's a reasonably modern inverter smart charger.
tmw188
My "not so reasonably modern" inverter/smart charger has nearly always been connected to shore power for 20 years...except when we are boondocking... OR when the coach is moving without the generator running.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-12-2016, 12:09 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good to know. Going by things I've read they say things like "today's modern inverter / chargers perform stage charging"
Old 05-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #14

Distilled Water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Your CC is not your average coach and I'm sure will have premium battery maintenance system. It should maintain battery voltage at 13.6 to 13.8 VDC. No problem leaving it plugged in continuously.

I keep my Dutchstar plugged in 24-7 unless we are on the road.
If you have Wet Cell (Flooded) Batteries, just make sure to check water levels at least every 3 months and top up with distilled water as required. You don't want the level to go below the plates which will severely reduce battery life.
My wife and I just purchased our first MH. Yes, Newbies. Been reading many of the post, learning as I go along but will ask a question if I see a post that makes me want to know more about. I spent time as a youth on a small farm with farm machinery, some with engines. When doing preventive maintenance, if we saw the batteries needed water, we added plain water and not distilled. Why distilled water?

Tags
batteries