RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2019, 07:09 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
keep power on

we keep unit plugged into a 110 outlet in drive. keeps batteries charged, i got a charger that will manage all three D batteries at the same time and we also like to keep he samsung refit. running. other that little frost build up on freezer drawer works great.

gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2019, 06:16 AM   #16

When I lived in Illinois i would store my RV for the winter months, unable to charge my batteries. After frequent destroyed batteries I learned to remove my batteries and keep on a battery maintainer indoors during winter months. It really wasn't that difficult to remove and reinstall the batteries and we'll worth the effort.

bro61021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:26 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro61021 View Post
When I lived in Illinois i would store my RV for the winter months, unable to charge my batteries. After frequent destroyed batteries I learned to remove my batteries and keep on a battery maintainer indoors during winter months. It really wasn't that difficult to remove and reinstall the batteries and we'll worth the effort.
I take it you donít have 10 batteries...
Old 02-14-2019, 10:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Wow, you need some attention on that battery terminal in the picture. Looking pretty fuzzy.
In addition the red cable shows discoloration from heat generated at the connection.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobiker39 View Post
So, it seems for the first time since owning the RV we will be storing it outside rather than inside. We usually take it out monthly or sometimes up to 2 months. And, we also have had the ability to plug into electricity for about 3 days prior to going on our trip.

While storing it outside we will be able to use propane to get the refrigerator cold before we leave but how do you all keep your batteries from discharging too much between trips?

We do dry camp, but much of the time we are hooked up to electricity while camped. We have 30 amp service, 2 6V Lifeline AGM batteries, and a Inteli-Power 9280 Progressive Dynamics converter/charger. We do not have solar at this time.

Apologies if this topic has been covered before but until now I just haven't paid much attention.

Any thoughts or recommendations from those of you who do store outside would be appreciated. Happy travels.
I asked my RV service folks about removing batteries for the winter about 5 years ago when we'd bought our Class C. The service tech said just disconnect the positive terminals. We were storing the RV in a unheated metal building in Wisconsin. I'm sure the temps must have reached zero degrees at some point. In the spring I reconnected batteries and the engine turned over as if I'd run it yesterday. The house batteries showed full charge on the panel . I have been doing that ever since with the same results. I see some here suggest disconnecting the negative terminals. Maybe it doesn't matter which we disconnect but now I wonder if there is a reason it may be better to disconnect the negative. Anyway I hope this helped a little.
slowlanelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:28 AM   #20

The only reason to disconnect the negative terminal is to avoid a short (spark) if your wrench touches any metal while you have it on the battery terminal. Since the RV's are negative ground , the negative terminal of the battery is connected to the RV frame. If you touch any metal while the wrench is on the negative terminal , nothing will happen. A simple rule when connecting batteries is remove the negative terminal first and connect it last.
Removing the positive cable is just fine as far as disconnecting the batteries is concerned.

Tags
batteries, storage