Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2019, 02:34 PM   #43

put me in the category of look where you are going. I learned a long time ago when i was mowing lawns professionally that you pick a spot clear on the other side of the lawn where you want to drive to. don't look down at your tires or deck but pick that spot and drive to it. keeps you in a nice straight line.

with that said if im driving and need to look down to adjust the heat or maybe kick on the generator, i have figured out that the right line and where the center beam of my windshield meets the bottom meet up and keep me hugging the white line almost perfectly. so if for some reason i cant look ahead of me, i can use that lower right corner of the left windshield and keep it on the white line and im golden.

I also like to hug the right line and not the center line. too many distracted drivers coming across center for me.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2019, 03:02 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
BTFT, with whom I agree far more often than I disagree on many subjects, first mentioned emulating professionals in post #13. I mentioned a professional attitude in post #30. I'm afraid some folks have taken that personally as a criticism. That was not my intent.

There are subtle but substantial and important differences between being "a professional" who is paid for doing something they claim they are well qualified to do and being "professional" by having a professional attitude, whether they are paid for what they do or not.

A true professional can be a high school dropout. It depends on whether or not he develops and practices a professional attitude. A PhD holder may think he's a professional but if he doesn't have a professional attitude he is taking money under false pretenses. Now, if he's a certified RV technician......... insert your own horror stories here.

This article gives an excellent description of what and why true professionals do what they do much better than I can.

https://www.mindtools.com/pages/arti...ssionalism.htm

I consider it my duty and personal obligation when doing anything that could possibly hurt or kill someone else, or teaching someone how to do something that if done improperly could hurt or kill someone, to do it as a true professional would. Whether flying a 250,000# airliner or a 75# hang glider; driving a 33,000# motorhome or a 3,000# car, I feel I owe it to society to do all I can to learn all I can and practice all I can to do it safely.

That's where I'm coming from.
FL420, I agree. As I commented in another post, I drove different kinds and sizes of trucks for over 30 years, most of that time in a 70 ft semi. Over that time I logged about 3.5 million miles, but that didn't make me a professional. Whether you're on 300lb motorcycle or in an 80,000lb truck, you have to pay close attention to your own driving as well as everyone else's driving. Unfortunately the roads are more crowded every day and it seems that less and less people know what they are doing behind the wheel. Give it your undivided attention. Forget you have a cell phone. If the radio distracts you, turn it off. If your passenger distracts you, ask them to be quiet at least until you get into a better situation. As far as motorhomes are concerned, I have always said that no one should be allowed to drive one until they have been through truck driver training. To the original OP, I understand what you are trying to do but, as others have suggested, try moving the tape farther up on the windshield. You need to be scanning the road ahead as far as you can. Remember, compared to your car, that motorhome drives like a pig. It stops and maneuvers just like what it is... a house on wheels! As far as trying to stay in your lane, until you get used to it, use your mirrors to check your position from time to time. Eventually you will become used to it and won't think anything of it. Even so, you ALWAYS have to be aware of the size and driving characteristics of your vehicle. Good luck, safe travels and, as always, happy camping!
Oldcarnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:27 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandparacer View Post
Lots of great comments and suggestions here, thanks. I did not intend in the OP to suggest that people use my idea to drive with full time but to use as an aid when encountering construction zones or that narrow old bridge on a 2 lane highway. Adjusting a small amount right or left for these short periods using the spots on the windshield can really lower the stress. Anyway, it helps me. Looking down the road a 1/4 mile is always a good idea on the open road.
Dutch Star Don, I thought of that but it would be too easy to copy with 15 cents worth of black tape.
John
I am one that has to agree completely.
I have 2 red flag page markers... one for R one for L. I don't seem to notice them when on a " normal" stretch of road where looking ahead works fine. Looking 1/4 mile ahead when into / out of a lane shift in construction not very helpful.
I dont need an actual lane marker... I can place the red spot st the base of the concrete barrier and it works the same.
Frequently in construction zones speed reduced and spacing between vehicles aren't 1/4 mi.
I passed my CDL for school buses in 1970 but not currently a professional driver.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:04 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
BTFT, with whom I agree far more often than I disagree on many subjects, first mentioned emulating professionals in post #13. I mentioned a professional attitude in post #30. I'm afraid some folks have taken that personally as a criticism. That was not my intent.

There are subtle but substantial and important differences between being "a professional" who is paid for doing something they claim they are well qualified to do and being "professional" by having a professional attitude, whether they are paid for what they do or not.

A true professional can be a high school dropout. It depends on whether or not he develops and practices a professional attitude. A PhD holder may think he's a professional but if he doesn't have a professional attitude he is taking money under false pretenses. Now, if he's a certified RV technician......... insert your own horror stories here.

This article gives an excellent description of what and why true professionals do what they do much better than I can.

https://www.mindtools.com/pages/arti...ssionalism.htm

I consider it my duty and personal obligation when doing anything that could possibly hurt or kill someone else, or teaching someone how to do something that if done improperly could hurt or kill someone, to do it as a true professional would. Whether flying a 250,000# airliner or a 75# hang glider; driving a 33,000# motorhome or a 3,000# car, I feel I owe it to society to do all I can to learn all I can and practice all I can to do it safely.

That's where I'm coming from.

I thanks for that. Perhaps I misread or misunderstood you too. This is a medium that seems to be difficult to discern "tone" and intent. Much more so than the printed word. I am glad you clarified it.
BTFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:12 PM   #47

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
That is the technique we were taught for motorcycle riding. "Look where you want to go". It also works with RV's.
Look at a rock and end up hitting it. Years ago we called them "magnetic rocks"
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:42 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Look at a rock and end up hitting it. Years ago we called them "magnetic rocks"
Never heard that one before. Good one.

Lots of military pilots have dug holes in the dirt on their final flights while practicing strafing ground targets. No cute descriptive terms for it that I know of. Just plain old target fixation.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:08 PM   #49

I can recall (thankfully) taking driver education in summer school in 1971 to get a "Blue card" which upgraded a junior operator license to a senior operator license when you turned 17 years old. You were restricted to driving during the day and 1/2 hour before and 1/2 hour after daylight with a junior license. The restriction was lifted with the "Blue card." My driver education instructor was adamant about looking far out and wide when we were driving. He referred to this as getting "The Big Picture". Some things you never forget.
I used this term when I taught my own kids to drive. If I caught one of my kids looking down to where they weren't seeing "The Big Picture" I would remind them to look up far and wide.
I probably came about looking far off when I was between 12 and 16 years old and working on farms driving all types of equipment. There were hills, rocks, other equipment and who knows what in these farm fields. I wanted to be aware of what laid ahead. I never needed any tricks or other aides to keep in the row or lane I needed to be in.
Lynn
Old 05-07-2019, 06:47 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I can recall (thankfully) taking driver education in summer school in 1971 to get a "Blue card" which upgraded a junior operator license to a senior operator license when you turned 17 years old. You were restricted to driving during the day and 1/2 hour before and 1/2 hour after daylight with a junior license. The restriction was lifted with the "Blue card." My driver education instructor was adamant about looking far out and wide when we were driving. He referred to this as getting "The Big Picture". Some things you never forget.
I used this term when I taught my own kids to drive. If I caught one of my kids looking down to where they weren't seeing "The Big Picture" I would remind them to look up far and wide.
I probably came about looking far off when I was between 12 and 16 years old and working on farms driving all types of equipment. There were hills, rocks, other equipment and who knows what in these farm fields. I wanted to be aware of what laid ahead. I never needed any tricks or other aides to keep in the row or lane I needed to be in.
Lynn
I went to Driver Ed, in high school, to get my Blue Card, back in 69 or 70. Already had my junior licence, so I got to ride in the back seat most of the time.
They always taught us to look ahead and get the big picture.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:48 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
Good idea. I've always picked a spot on the hood on the left side, maybe a hump etc, or even something on the dash, then get used to where it should be in relationship to the left line.

I also remember reading that it's best to look down the road (at the distance), when driving an RV. You'll just naturally steer it in the center of the lane, and it seems to work.

Also checking the bubble mirrors occasionally to see if you're centered.
Quote:
Ok, I think this attachment will work.

The section in red above is the best way to drive and stay centered in your lane.

The tape marks in the windshield in the picture, forces you to focus you vision too close to your vehicle. One needs to have vision far down the road for safety.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:23 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
It must be universal, always in fire dept. driver training, it was "The big picture". And, if the trainee was not checking the mirrors like his head was on a swivel he would be called on it.
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:20 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine103 View Post
It must be universal, always in fire dept. driver training, it was "The big picture". And, if the trainee was not checking the mirrors like his head was on a swivel he would be called on it.
Yes. I was taught to check the mirrors every 30 seconds. Four mirrors in a Class A or city bus. Seven mirrors in a school bus. Oy vey![emoji856]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
Old 05-07-2019, 08:37 PM   #54

Forest River Owners Club
Lot of advice and theories, here’s mine. The OP mentioned tight construction zones, when it gets really hairy with really narrow concrete barriers, etc, just turn on your flashers and ride the center line assuming it’s a 2 lane stretch. Keeps you safe, no 18 wheeler is going to try to pass and squeeze you out. I’ve seen lots of 18 wheelers do this. Just remember your so big and wide it can get downright dangerous in certain situations. It’s your life at risk here.
Jag73e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:26 PM   #55

Quote:
Ok, I think this attachment will work.
Ya' know Grandparacer. I think I'm liking your idea more and more. Of course there is no substitute for looking as far down the road as you can when you can for keeping your vehicle centered in its lane.

Many times, when most of us do our travelling and most road construction crews do their thang, we often can't see beyond the tractor trailer directly in front of us as we are squeezed in tight between cones or Jersey barriers. Staying centered by looking far down the road ain't gonna happen.

That's where your idea comes in handy. In that kind of situation you really can't afford to spend a lot of time checking your mirrors to see if you're centered when you have to concentrate on the brake lights on the trailer you can't see around.

I would like to offer a suggestion for your design based on info from the field of human factors engineering, the study of the man-machine interface. If you were to flip your dots into a V so the view of the left edge of your lane would look like it was entering the large end of a funnel it would look more familiar and natural to your brain. I don't have the scientific documentation close at hand to prove it and I don't have the time or inclination right now to dig it up but I know it works. Try it and if you don't like it........well, no extra charge.[emoji6]

Now, back to the 1/4 mile, 15 second rule of thumb. It's really a defensive driving technique designed so the driver who uses it is always prepared for whatever happens in front of him so he has time to see, recognize, analyze and decide what to do about it and get stopped if that's what he decides to do. Anything that happens closer to him than where his eyes are focused can be seen, especially if it is in motion. It also helps the driver to develop the sight picture, sorta like muscle memory for the brain muscle, of what it is supposed to look like when he's centered in his lane while his eyes are focused far down the road.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:32 PM   #56

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by engine103 View Post
Sorry but I have to agree with LETMEGROW. I have a career of driving Firetrucks and many miles accumulated with over the road trucks, dump trucks and yes, motor homes. Keep your behind in the middle of the road and look ahead to "read the road". What's going to happen when you come across road resurfacing and they haven't painted any lines yet? Your dots or marks will not be working for you. I'm not pointing fingers but it amazes me how many post I read where people retire and decide it's time to get a 40 footer when the most they have ever driven is a sedan. To the OP, you can do this, it just takes practice and it will all fall into place. I mean, when you drive your car, you don't even think about where your vehicle is in relation to the road, it will be the same when you get used to driving your RV. Good luck, have fun.

WAY back in the mid 1960s I took the driver's training course offered in the public school I went to. (I really think this type of formal training needs to be resurrected.) It consisted of several hours of classroom training followed by several more hours of on the road training. Before I took the course lots of well-meaning people offered their advice, part of which was how to keep yourself centered in your lane by sighting down the left fender to the centerline stripe and/or sighting from the center of the hood to the right side lane stripe. Once in the saddle I quickly discovered this didn't work because I was alternating between the two which resulted in lane wondering which in turn resulted in criticism from the instructor (a well respected teacher). I switched to the look-well-down-the-road method as taught in the classroom and like magic, it worked as advertised. Perhaps its hard to explain exactly how this works, we just need to accept that it does.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote