Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2018, 02:36 PM   #1

keeping bugs and rodents out

Hello everyone

I have a 2003 Ford V10 ( four winds hurricane ). The RV will be in storage for few months , what are the best ways to prevent rodents and bugs from entering / or infesting in the RV ? are there better spots to use the traps? Also will it be more difficult for rodents to enter if I do not use the jacks ?

Sir Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2018, 02:24 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

We don't store ours so can't advise you on that.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:10 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Google bobcat urine. They really hate bobcats.
Martys Own is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:26 PM   #4

For the A/C shroud, the fridge, water heater, furnace, I screened all off.....
Old 05-25-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
Bo

Bobcat urine, now that's one I haven't tried. Guess I will give it a try.

To the OP. I have been down the rodent road many times both in RVs and permanent and semi permanent residences. For me the best solution is to seal every opening to the outside world in the place you want to keep pest free. My most recent job was on my wife's StarFlyte MH. We went a few years with bad mouse infestation while using many of the internet suggested repellents. Each year I would search for and fill every opening I could find but continued to be unsuccessful in finding the entry point. Last Fall, before winterization, I tore out most of the seats and bed looking again for non obvious entry points. I found a small opening beside the refrigerator enclosure with evidence of rodent passage which I filled with Pest Retardant Great Stuff spray foam. This Spring, no mice in the MH.

Find every opening that light will pass through and plug it with Pest Retardant Great Stuff and Your pest problem will be gone. The most common openings are around plumbing , gas lines and electrical wiring where they pass through the coach floor or wall. Other points can occur where the coach's construction was imperfect and hidden openings remain such as the one I found on the StarFlyte.

Good luck, sometimes finding all the openings can get frustrating.

Larry
Old 05-25-2018, 03:22 PM   #6
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Bo, above said it right. Great stuff does the trick. Also if you can. Plug up any holes between things. Like on my rig under one dinette cushion is all the electrical stuff. I plugged all holes were wires were passing through the walls. Did the same for all the holes water pipes were going through to the fresh water tank. Same for the bathroom area. Basically try to make compartments. If they do get in one there is no place to go from there.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:55 PM   #7

We bought 2 boxes of fabric softener sheets and put them All Over in our fifth wheel and also in basement storage. Had ABSOLUTELY NO RODENTS, EVIDENCE OF RODENTS OR BUGS OTHER THAN ABOUT A DOZEN DEAD FLIES IN THE SHOWER WHERE THEY WERE ATTRACTED TO THE SKYLIGHT ! Put them in drawers kitchen cabinets etc. Used both boxes up...smelled great in spring also. Not sure I'd want my rig smelling like bobcat urine.

I'd stick with the sheets if we weren't FULL Timers now. Do what you want.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
We bought 2 boxes of fabric softener sheets and put them All Over in our fifth wheel and also in basement storage. Had ABSOLUTELY NO RODENTS, EVIDENCE OF RODENTS OR BUGS OTHER THAN ABOUT A DOZEN DEAD FLIES IN THE SHOWER WHERE THEY WERE ATTRACTED TO THE SKYLIGHT ! Put them in drawers kitchen cabinets etc. Used both boxes up...smelled great in spring also. Not sure I'd want my rig smelling like bobcat urine.

I'd stick with the sheets if we weren't FULL Timers now. Do what you want.
My daughter used dryer sheets in their TT until the day they opened the door and found the mice had made their nests out of dryer sheets. From then on they spent their time plugging holes.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:08 PM   #9

keeping bugs and rodents out

I had 2 gas RVs, a C and an A. They were very difficult to make pest proof. The front engine area has a ton of access points via fabric air ducts and such that can easily chewed through.
My only defense was traps near the doghouse that I could check about 3 times per week.
We tried every “deterrent” with no success. Moth balls and dryer sheets were found in their nests!
And rope lights are only effective for pack rats in the desert.
My current Monaco Camelot DP has a secure underside and bays. They only way they had access was if I left the stinky slinky hooked up. Even with a special seal around it, they got in! So, I stash the slinky between dump sessions, about every 7 days.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:23 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Traveler View Post
Hello everyone

I have a 2003 Ford V10 ( four winds hurricane ). The RV will be in storage for few months , what are the best ways to prevent rodents and bugs from entering / or infesting in the RV ? are there better spots to use the traps? Also will it be more difficult for rodents to enter if I do not use the jacks ?

We bought some stuff called "Fresh Cab" repellant from Amazon. It has a pine scent and is quite pleasant, though I have no idea whether it actually repels rodents or not. I will say that we have not had a pest problem storing our Bounder in the past 6 years.

I believe the best thing you can do is to remove absolutely ALL food from the RV, except maybe canned goods. Make sure everything is clean and there are no yummy smelling crackers or whatever left in the cabinet. Good luck!!

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:00 PM   #11

Rodent Sheriff works reasonably well. Did not eliminate 100% of the little fur bearers but it did cut down on about 90% of the tell tails they leave. Plugging the holes and using this peppermint smelling spray on liquid made a big difference in keeping them out of our Fiver. It is available on line at their own site and I believe Amazon carries it too. I spray it on the wheels, jacks, strong arms and any thru wall pipes in the basement.
Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:00 PM   #12

The year DW was confined to the house after an auto accident, mice got into the MH. I placed blocks of TomCat mouse and rat poison in hard to access places, in basement compartments, behind the cabinets in the slide and under bottom drawers in bedroom nightstands, etc. Mice were gone in a few months and have never returned.

There was never and odor of decomposing rodents, because the poison makes mice thirsty and they go outside in search of water.

FWIW, dryer sheets do work to deter elephants, we've never seen one in the MH or house.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:32 PM   #13

How about giraffes?
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:35 AM   #14

I used "Fresh Cab" repellant this stuff really works.

Pete1985 is online now   Reply With Quote