Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhauler View Post
RV places and Walmart sell an drinking water additive which is placed in the tank on fill up and keeps the water fresh for quite a period of time. It will keep water useable for at least 3 months even in summer weather. have used it for years and always keep water in the tank in case of an emgergency/ Just drain and flush tank from time to time and no there isn't any crud coming out of tank and no has gotten sick
Never heard of that stuff - or seen it in their RV section, what's it called? I get sorta tired of emptying and then refilling our water tank every few weeks between outings. Something like that, if it works, would be great!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I drain and flush the fresh water tank at least once a year. I always keep about 1/3 full in case of emergency.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #17
CD

I have had tank full for 12 yrs. except in winter when there is danger of freezing. I have not added anything and haven't had any crud come out.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:41 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I like CD, have never emptied my water tank, it is always full. Never had bad tasting water or the green apple quick step from it either. You never know when your motorhome can be used as a life saving resource. As the Boy Scouts say, BE PREPARED.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:27 PM   #19

Safe drinking water may be stored for months, even years IF completely blocked from light sources, and sealed from air circulation.. I remember being on a team (during the 1980's) that cleaned out old bomb shelters on a local college campus. Barrels of drinking water tested safe, after sitting down there for about 20 years.
This guide is quite useful to have: http://ndep.nv.gov/bsdw/docs/disinfe...king_water.pdf
I use powdered chlorine instead of liquid bleach because it has no taste, is much easier to store, and may be purchased from most any swimming pool supply store. The ppm dosage remains constant, but the concentration is much higher for powdered chlorine, around 60-75%. This means one tsp will disinfect about 100G of clear water.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #20

Gary- it is called "Everpure" and is available in all Walmart RV sections in about 8-10 oz containers. Also sold at Camping World in the fresh water section (hoses/filters/etc). Only needs a full cap full(s) per tank. I normally put the correct doseage into the water hose and then turn on water to tank.
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhauler View Post
Gary- it is called "Everpure" and is available in all Walmart RV sections in about 8-10 oz containers. Also sold at Camping World in the fresh water section (hoses/filters/etc). Only needs a full cap full(s) per tank. I normally put the correct doseage into the water hose and then turn on water to tank.
Thanks - we'll be in Walmart tomorrow - I'll watch for it...
Old 08-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Water left in a tank for long periods at a time would not be called "Fresh" by me.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
Thanks - we'll be in Walmart tomorrow - I'll watch for it...
I picked up some of that stuff at Walmart - and reading the label for contents, see that it is simply ordinary bleach. The container is convenient to carry and use, but just 1 oz. of regular household bleach per 20 gallons of water would do the same thing. Another issue to be aware of in carrying and using bleach for this or other uses, is that it's strength is pretty time/storage sensitive - and what you bought to use last year, may be pretty weak THIS year...
Old 08-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #24
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dre View Post
Water left in a tank for long periods at a time would not be called "Fresh" by me.
What is considered a long period of time? I have had it in for 6 to 8 months with no apparent problem. I drain and refill before using the RV. IMHO that is much better water than our pond or seasonal creek is if something happened so that was the only choices.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
What is considered a long period of time? I have had it in for 6 to 8 months with no apparent problem. I drain and refill before using the RV. IMHO that is much better water than our pond or seasonal creek is if something happened so that was the only choices.
I guess that is determined only by you. For me, anything that has been in the tank beyond a couple of weeks needs to be drained and refilled. That is if it is to be used for brushing my teeth etc. If all I wanted to do was scrub the flloor or wash a window it would not matter. I know that the only water available to me if I were dying in a desert was found sharing space with a pile of cow manure I would drink it and be darned happy it was there! In the meantime a tiny bit of bleach will help fight the bacteria and make it usable for greater periods of time.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #26

I get my fresh water advice from my brother-in-law. He was a chemist, started working for a water company in an entry level job, got another degree, worked his way to plant manager in a large city and traveled the country teaching other water companies how to treat and test water. Since he retired he teaches seminars on drinking water. He carries water testing kits in his motorhome and tests the water at every caampground, not because he's afraid of drinking the water, but because testing water is in his blood. He said in hundreds of campgrounds he has never found unsafe water. Maybe water that taste bad, but not unsafe.

The water company he worked for took a jug of sample water every day and stored the jugs in a warehouse. At 3 months, 6 months, and 1 year, they would take samples from the jugs and test them. He said after one year they never found a sample to be unsafe.

So water is safe to drink after one year of storage out of the sun. But in his own motorhome he likes to dump the water after three months and refill the tank. This is for city water that has been treated and tested. With well water all bets are off.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNiemann View Post
don't be the one on the news the next day being hauled off on a stretcher cause they finally found you and the news woman saying that this person is barely alive when they thought their RV weighted down by a full water tank would save their lives and refused to evacuate....

PLEASE DON'T DO THIS, AND WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU SAW SIRENS GO OFF AND YOU HAD TIME TO FILL A 50-100 GALLON WATER TANK?
What the heck?
bakerkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #28

Hey Vegasdan, i just purchased a 2000 tradewinds model 7373, and maybe you have the same inverter as i have i have the freedom combo 458. Mine has two breakers on the unit and i was wondering if they should be in the on position or the off position. One is a 20and the other is 15. My monitor has been blinking above the charge square and should it be doing that. Also do i keep the inverter on or off parked. It constantly shows overload, overtemp. I unplug the unit and everything seems to go back to normal for awhile. Can you tell me what settings i should have on the monitor and any info that you can on the unit itself. I dont think anything is wrong with it. I pushed a few buttons on the monitor and i think i messed it up. I am electronically not too smart. Rivrduk. If you want to email me and have some info for me my address is Rivrduk2@aol.com. Thanks in advance, i am a new MH owner. Rivrduk
rivrduk is offline   Reply With Quote