Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2015, 05:10 PM   #1

Keeping stuff in cabinets

My wife just opened a cabinet door and a bottle of soy sauce hit the floor and broke. There is likely threads on this but I didn't know what to search on. We put most things like this in baskets, but are there other great solutions to prevent items from falling out of cabinets. Thanks in advance.

Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2015, 05:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We use a variety of techniques, depending on cabinet size and the contents. Retainer bars, baskets, even pieces of cardboard cut to wedge in as a retainer. Perhpas the most important, though, is to train ourselves to be circumspect opening cabinets after a travel day, and especially so if there has been a lurch or big bump (an RR track, for example). If you think there might be stuff shaken loose, go around and open each cabinet carefully, expecting things to be awry and ready to catch them.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:04 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
The best way is to keep every single shelf really nice and tight so that nothing moves or falls by it self; we use anti derapant material in the pantry shelves; the same goes for the fridge, keep every tablet nice and tight.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:14 PM   #4

I give, what is "anti derapant material" ?

Similar to Gary, I use baskets and spring curtain rods to hold most things in place in the cabinets. When I stack canned goods, I use masking tape and tape one can on top of another and only have to use one rod for the whole shelf.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
We use a variety of techniques, depending on cabinet size and the contents. Retainer bars, baskets, even pieces of cardboard cut to wedge in as a retainer. Perhaps the most important, though, is to train ourselves to be circumspect opening cabinets after a travel day, and especially so if there has been a lurch or big bump (an RR track, for example). If you think there might be stuff shaken loose, go around and open each cabinet carefully, expecting things to be awry and ready to catch them.
Gary RVRoamer
Old 07-24-2015, 07:58 PM   #6

Empty beer 6 pack containers. Good for olive oil, vinegar, hot sauce, soy sauce, etc.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:08 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post

Similar to Gary, I use baskets and spring curtain rods to hold most things in place in the cabinets. When I stack canned goods, I use masking tape and tape one can on top of another and only have to use one rod for the whole shelf.
http://www.impar.ro/ro/Accesorii-aut...113c81c89.html
Old 07-24-2015, 09:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
We use the shelf liner that comes in a role from any store. Rubberized and quilted looking. I use it to cushion wine bottles, put pieces between my ceramic coated fry pans etc. In our 5th wheel we had a couple upper kitchen cabinets that were overly deep. I would just stuff the couch pillow in before shutting the doors. In the MH I do the same but have found that if I take care to put everything where it belongs, baskets etc, I don't have any problems
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post

anti-skid it's french
Old 07-24-2015, 09:44 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
We use the shelf liner that comes in a role from any store. Rubberized and quilted looking. I use it to cushion wine bottles, put pieces between my ceramic coated fry pans etc. In our 5th wheel we had a couple upper kitchen cabinets that were overly deep. I would just stuff the couch pillow in before shutting the doors. In the MH I do the same but have found that if I take care to put everything where it belongs, baskets etc, I don't have any problems
We have the same stuff lining the shelves. Then a basket in each cabinet. No glass in upper cabinets or heavy stuff. Solo cups and bachelor (paper) plates. mustard, mayo, etc. are in plastic bottles
Old 07-24-2015, 09:55 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
anti-skid it's french
For you unilingual speaking americans...

STOPP Anti-slip underlay - - IKEA

Hope that you have learned something from a threelingual canadian neigbour, I also speak spanish !
Old 07-24-2015, 11:20 PM   #12

For the one cabinet that we have bottled items in, we have a 'rubber maid' container that fits the cabinet an tall enough to keep the items in place. But the best answer has already been posted, pay attention when you are opening a cabinet after traveling.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by normandlegra View Post
For you unilingual speaking americans...
STOPP Anti-slip underlay - - IKEA
Hope that you have learned something from a threelingual canadian neigbour, I also speak spanish !
In "American" that's trilingual.....neighbor.