Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2017, 06:08 PM   #29

I have two that is under the recall. I called them today as mine have no date code either. On hold for about 5 minutes tops, then spent about 7-8 minutes on the phone with a Cust. Serv. rep. New ones should be here in about 2 1/2 weeks. A pleasant experience so far.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2017, 07:03 PM   #30

What is the problem with them?
Old 11-03-2017, 07:08 PM   #31

I have 3 on the recall list. One of them was a Sears brand, which was made by Kidde.

Easy to fill out the on-line form.
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:29 PM   #32

I have several under the recall. Thanks for the post.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:25 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicRT View Post
So are there any firefighters or other experts out there who can recommend the best quality brand out there for small portable extinguishers? Cost is not a factor. Amerex maybe?

I can't really see replacing my cheapo defective units with same brand cheapo units even if they're free.

As far as a branding, they are all about the same. What you are really looking for is an all metal valve assembly. One with the plastic head is a single use throw away. Once the valve is cracked, the powder gets into the seat and most of the time it contaminates it and the pressure will leak out. I have a 20# sitting out that accidentally discharged 5 months ago, but no leaking and still has 90% pressure. It was 6 months old when it fell off a garbage truck. The handles were bent, but no release. I have had it 13 years and has been great, The recalled ones won't allow for that.

The metal ones also have a stronger spring to close the valve and hold it closed. Part of what the recall is that once you discharge a plastic one, that the valve will not close and seal to the point that it doesn't completely discharge and render it useless for a second attack if needed.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:15 AM   #34

Thank you...another reason I support this forum. Have 3 of 3 that are on the list
Old 11-04-2017, 02:07 PM   #35

Just filed to replace 4 of mine.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:38 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have two older (12 and 10 y/o) ones that were subject to the recall, one of them was the original one that came with the motorhome. Ironically, I just replaced it with a larger one for the MH last month. The larger one was not affected.
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:08 PM   #37

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess mine isn't included, I could find no info that even remotely resembled any of the info they required.

Glenn
Old 11-06-2017, 02:14 PM   #38

I have two that actually were under the recall even though they had no dates as described on them. I own six different extinguishers but only the two made by Kidde. I called them and they are shipping me two replacements.
Bill
Old 11-07-2017, 11:41 AM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
Thanks, I have a larger #5 (2002) and an Elite 10 in the recall. The Elite came from the factory in our signature coach. Less then a 10 minute wait on the phone. Sending new ones in 15-20 days.
CoverDog,
I have an Elite 10 or E10, I did not see it on the list, but since you mentioned that it was in the recall, I called them to make sure, and they said it was not on the list.
Mine came with our new 2017 Winnebago Sunstar 29VE.
Did they have trouble finding that particular model on yours? BTW the date code on mine is 30915. It just seems a bit odd that they did not find mine, but they found yours.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:21 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just off the phone with Kidde CS rep. Based on the information on my fire extinguisher which is the Elite 10/Elite 10 home model. It is not included in the recall. Mine does have a plastic handle with a gauge.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:32 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
As far as a branding, they are all about the same. What you are really looking for is an all metal valve assembly. One with the plastic head is a single use throw away. Once the valve is cracked, the powder gets into the seat and most of the time it contaminates it and the pressure will leak out. I have a 20# sitting out that accidentally discharged 5 months ago, but no leaking and still has 90% pressure. It was 6 months old when it fell off a garbage truck. The handles were bent, but no release. I have had it 13 years and has been great, The recalled ones won't allow for that.

The metal ones also have a stronger spring to close the valve and hold it closed. Part of what the recall is that once you discharge a plastic one, that the valve will not close and seal to the point that it doesn't completely discharge and render it useless for a second attack if needed.
Thanks for the reply. Makes sense.

Also, I have had occasion to use a fire extinguisher twice in my lifetime. The key to both emergencies was first and foremost, knowing where the extinguisher was and accessing it within seconds. On one occasion I had a sudden fire on a race car I was working on in my shop. Had been working on the fuel injection system and fuel had leaked and pooled on a skid plate below the engine. Went to start the engine and within a fraction of a second the engine bay was all flames. Luckily, I was prepared and had set a large fire extinguisher on the floor in front of the car given that I was working on the fuel system and I was able to douse the flames in seconds without any serious damage. Otherwise, the entire building would have burnt within minutes I'm sure.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
CoverDog,
I have an Elite 10 or E10, I did not see it on the list, but since you mentioned that it was in the recall, I called them to make sure, and they said it was not on the list.
Mine came with our new 2017 Winnebago Sunstar 29VE.
Did they have trouble finding that particular model on yours? BTW the date code on mine is 30915. It just seems a bit odd that they did not find mine, but they found yours.

Same here, just got off a call with Kidde CS and my Elite 10/Elite 10 home model was not on the recall list. We could not identify a date code on the extinguisher. I gave them all the numbers I could find.

Tags
fire, recall