Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Love to hear these stories. Amen to pay it forward!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I had the same experience when looking to replace a lost wheel simulator.. Someone here offered to send 3 for cost of shipping. Of course, I reimbursed him for his time and effort as well,,..

This is one of the reasons I stayed on the board..

Old 12-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknchrome View Post
To be honest I learned way back as a motorcycle rider never pass a rider along the road and not ask if they are broke down....long story in 1978 Daytona..bike broke chain...Hells Angels group pulled over, scared the **** out of me...provided help and fixed me up and the east coast Chapter Prez at the time told me never pass one buy and you owe me nothing...has been in my mind since...karma..
Great story. In a previous life, in addition to both street and dirt riders, I came to know several members of that club in San Francisco. While I certainly don't condone many of their actions, they certainly consider themselves as a part of the greater community of riders.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #18
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
One year we were snowed in 3 feet. Stopped the city dead. I was at work and couldn't do anything so I was listening to the news and all they talked about was how vehicles were stuck everywhere and a 3 hour wait for tow trucks. I had a new 4x4 truck so I went to Home Depot, picked up a tow strap and set out. Picked up my pregnant wife and went around our neighborhood towing people out of the drifts. I managed to help tow out 18 people and got them on their way. DW sat in the truck. People offered money every time. I refused, said Merry Xmas and suggested they give a little something to their favorite charity. We had so much fun that afternoon me and the DW. Best $75 I ever spent.
Next day, the media showed up at my door. Not sure how they found me but they did a little story on the "Good Samaritan" ordeal. I just told them I wanted to help people and did it for the sheer fun. I'd do it again in a minute given the opportunity. Makes a person feel good!
Old 12-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One thing that I always practice is the "Pay it forward". If I can help some one for no or minimal cost, I will and just tell them to help the next fellow.

Think how nice the world would be if everyone would do this.

ken
Old 12-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
In this day and age of rudeness it is nice to know there are people like that out there.

I have been broke down on the road and received help from others and have stopped many times and helped others.

I helped a fellow one time with a fuel filter for a Cummins, and he turned out to be a Hells Angel member. This fellow never forgot that and every time I ran into him he'd buy lunch.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:15 AM   #21

Paying it forward always feels like the right thing to do to me, Thats the way I was raised. Always dirt poor didn't matter to Dad. His saying was "a friend in need is a friend indeed". I'm still dirt poor, but I'm friend rich. I also used to ride and have had may riders stop to check if all was ok when we were just Fluffing our PILLOW's on the side of the road. If it's safe I will pull over to help, bike, RV, car don't matter. Been able to help many times and would NEVER take a dime. I think it's so great that someone would send you shocks!! That the kind of folk's the country needs more of.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
One year we were snowed in 3 feet. Stopped the city dead. I was at work and couldn't do anything so I was listening to the news and all they talked about was how vehicles were stuck everywhere and a 3 hour wait for tow trucks. I had a new 4x4 truck so I went to Home Depot, picked up a tow strap and set out. Picked up my pregnant wife and went around our neighborhood towing people out of the drifts. I managed to help tow out 18 people and got them on their way. DW sat in the truck. People offered money every time. I refused, said Merry Xmas and suggested they give a little something to their favorite charity. We had so much fun that afternoon me and the DW. Best $75 I ever spent.
Next day, the media showed up at my door. Not sure how they found me but they did a little story on the "Good Samaritan" ordeal. I just told them I wanted to help people and did it for the sheer fun. I'd do it again in a minute given the opportunity. Makes a person feel good!
Good story. Too bad that a person doing the right thing is so rare that it is considered a media event.

When I was little my Dad had 4-wheel drive vehicles. Whenever he would come upon someone stuck, he would stop and pull them out. When they invariably offered him money he would say, "Why, You would have done the same, wouldn't you?"

Made more of an impression on me than I thought. Too bad it's a unique thing nowadays.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing Nut View Post
Good story. Too bad that a person doing the right thing is so rare that it is considered a media event.
Truth.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Great story Les! I'm sure you had fun doing it and in spite of the snow, it made you feel a little warmer inside.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 12-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing Nut View Post

Made more of an impression on me than I thought. Too bad it's a unique thing nowadays.
Problem is that many who have stopped to help have been taken and or robbed or worse. Myself included. Pretty much put a stop to my stopping and helping days.. No fun having a knife put to your throat...
Old 01-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #26

Helping someone who needs it..

Last night I got a call around 11 pm just about the time I was going to lay my head down. Local Police department who covers our building compound called me. I am a manager and often get calls when a delivery Rig has parked in the lot early for off loading of equipment in the morning.

This time the officer who knows me called and asked if my MH was on the lot? I said I sure hope not as it is locked up in another friends secure lot. She said well there is one that looks like yours here and do I want them to chase them off the lot..

I said hold on I will drive over..only like 5 miles and see what is happening..

Get there and 2 people in the MH from Canada...heading to Florida with a jeep in tow. Seems they tried to park in the WM lot just up the street and were told to leave. Our office is 1 minute from I-83. So they thought they would just use our lot..But they were having issues with the Generator on board cutting out..

What was wrong was I think gas level was low enough to not allow it to run...Told them not to worry...got an extension cord out of the main warehouse...plugged it in and hung a cord out of one of the garage doors that could still be locked. Plugged them in and told them to enjoy and rest...Guy said why are you doing this..I told him the story about the free shocks...he invited me in for a drink and I said thank you but not allowed to drink and operate my company truck. Wife gives me a big hug...said thank you..

Jealous part of me finds out they are younger than me and retired already...Wow...must be nice..

Gave them my phone number and told them if they needed anything else call me..well this morning they did and thanked me for my help...and they invited me up to the Toronto area next summer if I wanted a nice place to stay...

Felt good helping them last night...it was 23 deg out and I think they were happy to have shore power and do come cooking..

Bill
Old 01-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #27

Oh forgot,,,they filled up at the local truck stop in Shrewsbury on I 83 and now the generator works...must be like mine...when low enough off the Gen goes...
Old 01-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

I love reading these "feel good" stories of sharing and helping. It reminds me of a number of years ago when I had to do something at work.

I was in middle management for a Fortune 20 company and they asked us to take an inventory of the volunteer work done by our employees on their own time. Frankly I was shocked, impressed, and humbled by the level of volunteerism that was going on every day "behind the scenes".

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD