Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #29
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Good one Bill!

It's almost like an adrenalin rush, the feeling when you get to help someone. I like it. Karma is also my motivator.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Helping people is the most rewarding thing you can do to feed your soul. It is so nice to read these stories of bringing joy to people that don't expect it. I really think the helper gets more satisfaction than those we have helped !!

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #31

Always help Bikers and MH people. Have to be extra careful with others.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #32
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I had a similar thing happen to me. Not too long after we bought the MH the KVH satellite dome went dead. It was the older S2 model. It looked like I might have to spend about $500 to get it fixed or buy a new one. A fellow RV'er saw my posts about the problem. He had taken a KVH R5SL dome off his MH to upgrade to HD and had the dome sitting in his garage. His dome even used the same base as my old one so that saved me hours of work! He offered it to me at no charge except cost of shipping! I gladly paid the shipping charge and included a gift card to a popular restaurant in his area. Now THAT's true generosity!

I hope I have the opportunity one day to "pay it forward" !

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #33

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Well I have been blessed in my life....this year my wife who was undergoing kidney failure and under treatment needed a kidney...

In October 2011 we began to look for donors...would you believe 40 people, Bikers, friends and Family came forward...the first 4 people 2 were direct matches..the donor was her longest known friend.

This past june 22nd the transplant happened...it was rough at first ...28 days in the hospital but she is back to work, riding her Harley and enjoying life..

I will forever be there for anyone...strangers or friends...because so many people came forward to save my wife's life...there is no way I can pay back this...but i will try to always lend a hand to anyone..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 010.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	31516  
Old 01-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknchrome View Post
Well I have been blessed in my life....this year my wife who was undergoing kidney failure and under treatment needed a kidney...

In October 2011 we began to look for donors...would you believe 40 people, Bikers, friends and Family came forward...the first 4 people 2 were direct matches..the donor was her longest known friend.

This past june 22nd the transplant happened...it was rough at first ...28 days in the hospital but she is back to work, riding her Harley and enjoying life..

I will forever be there for anyone...strangers or friends...because so many people came forward to save my wife's life...there is no way I can pay back this...but i will try to always lend a hand to anyone..
It doesn't get much better than that
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #35
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Kind of restores your faith in humanity, doesn't it!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #36

Karma...

I have been known to be a tough guy at times...but this past year with all that has happened has been a year filled with tears....afraid, happiness and relief...

We moved up to the bigger class A from our Class C so that we can travel farther for her in comfort...we just will pull our Harleys in the Enclosed Trailer..

Life is full of many different challenges...
Old 01-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #37
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I think we all get opportunities to exercise kindness or to pay it forward.

It all comes down to recognizing the opportunity and taking the initiative or being brave enough to act on it.

Something as simple as being in a coffee shop drive through. I have paid for someone's order behind me. I don't know who they are, but I can only assume it will surprise them and hopefully start a new chain of random acts of kindness.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When we lived in NE Oklahoma, things were a bit different. The area was economically depressed. It seems that most everyone wanted to be paid for any amount of help. We made a small dent in trying to change things.

I took my jug of R22 over to a neighbor (we had not really met them, but another neighbor told me their A/C was out) and splashed a bit into his system so that he could make it over the long hot weekend and not have to call an emergency service and pay big bucks. He insisted that he pay me and I told him no way, just do something nice for someone else. Neighbors are supposed to help each other. A few months later I got to call on him to help carry a new sofa into the house.

But the general mind set there was to make a few dollars.

A little kindness goes a long way. More folks need to try to help others when they can.

Ken
Old 01-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
When we lived in NE Oklahoma, things were a bit different. The area was economically depressed. It seems that most everyone wanted to be paid for any amount of help. We made a small dent in trying to change things.

I took my jug of R22 over to a neighbor (we had not really met them, but another neighbor told me their A/C was out) and splashed a bit into his system so that he could make it over the long hot weekend and not have to call an emergency service and pay big bucks. He insisted that he pay me and I told him no way, just do something nice for someone else. Neighbors are supposed to help each other. A few months later I got to call on him to help carry a new sofa into the house.

But the general mind set there was to make a few dollars.

A little kindness goes a long way. More folks need to try to help others when they can.

Ken
In my neighborhood everyone knows also to call me for heat and cooling issues..i will not work for money...just food...my one across the street has been giving me home made strawberry Jelly for 10 years because I fixed her heat and then install a new boiler for her..she paid for the parts..I did the labor...cannot beat her...and she even watches our dogs when we travel up to 14 days...just for helping her so long ago..

America needs to be more like this..
Old 01-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #40

Quote:
Last night I got a call around 11 pm just about the time I was going to lay my head down. Local Police department who covers our building compound called me. I am a manager and often get calls when a delivery Rig has parked in the lot early for off loading of equipment in the morning.

This time the officer who knows me called and asked if my MH was on the lot? I said I sure hope not as it is locked up in another friends secure lot. She said well there is one that looks like yours here and do I want them to chase them off the lot..

I said hold on I will drive over..only like 5 miles and see what is happening..

Get there and 2 people in the MH from Canada...heading to Florida with a jeep in tow. Seems they tried to park in the WM lot just up the street and were told to leave. Our office is 1 minute from I-83. So they thought they would just use our lot..But they were having issues with the Generator on board cutting out..

What was wrong was I think gas level was low enough to not allow it to run...Told them not to worry...got an extension cord out of the main warehouse...plugged it in and hung a cord out of one of the garage doors that could still be locked. Plugged them in and told them to enjoy and rest...Guy said why are you doing this..I told him the story about the free shocks...he invited me in for a drink and I said thank you but not allowed to drink and operate my company truck. Wife gives me a big hug...said thank you..

Jealous part of me finds out they are younger than me and retired already...Wow...must be nice..

Gave them my phone number and told them if they needed anything else call me..well this morning they did and thanked me for my help...and they invited me up to the Toronto area next summer if I wanted a nice place to stay...

Felt good helping them last night...it was 23 deg out and I think they were happy to have shore power and do come cooking..

Bill
That's good stuff right there Bill
Old 01-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #41

Here is something that happened to us.

While at Walt Disney World the wife and I found a very nice digital camera in our rental car without any I.D. on it.

After my bad experience with Budget rental car (donít use them if you can avoid it) I was not going to turn it in to them because I figured someone there would just bring it home without looking for the owner. We decided to bring it to the Orlando P.D. instead.

Before heading to the PD, We dug around the car a little more and found a scrap piece of paper with an abbreviation of letters and a phone number. We figured what the hey, dialed the number, got voicemail and left a message stating that we found a camera and if this was the owner or if they knew someone who had been in Disney to please call.

The next day I received a phone call from the owner (the phone number that we had called was a buddy of his and had relayed the message him) who was very happy that we had found it. He described the camera and the rental car that we had which verified ownership. He was more worried about the memory card with the pictures of his family on them then he was the camera.

I got his address and told him I would ship it to him. He stated that compensation (reward) to me was in order. I told him thank you but unnecessary. I just would hope someone would return the favor to me if the situation was in reverse.

He laughed for a moment and asked if I had a minute to listen to his story.

A week or so prior to him coming to WDW, he was on a train heading to work. He found a wallet under a seat with several hundred dollars, credit cards, etc. in it. He pulled the ID and called the owner (who was obviously happy to get the call) and told him that he was being a Good Samaritan and wanted to make sure the money made it back to its owner.

Maybe itís corny, but I do believe that no good deed goes unrewarded. Maybe not immediately, but it does happen.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakethib View Post
Here is something that happened to us.

While at Walt Disney World the wife and I found a very nice digital camera in our rental car without any I.D. on it.

After my bad experience with Budget rental car (donít use them if you can avoid it) I was not going to turn it in to them because I figured someone there would just bring it home without looking for the owner. We decided to bring it to the Orlando P.D. instead.

Before heading to the PD, We dug around the car a little more and found a scrap piece of paper with an abbreviation of letters and a phone number. We figured what the hey, dialed the number, got voicemail and left a message stating that we found a camera and if this was the owner or if they knew someone who had been in Disney to please call.

The next day I received a phone call from the owner (the phone number that we had called was a buddy of his and had relayed the message him) who was very happy that we had found it. He described the camera and the rental car that we had which verified ownership. He was more worried about the memory card with the pictures of his family on them then he was the camera.

I got his address and told him I would ship it to him. He stated that compensation (reward) to me was in order. I told him thank you but unnecessary. I just would hope someone would return the favor to me if the situation was in reverse.

He laughed for a moment and asked if I had a minute to listen to his story.

A week or so prior to him coming to WDW, he was on a train heading to work. He found a wallet under a seat with several hundred dollars, credit cards, etc. in it. He pulled the ID and called the owner (who was obviously happy to get the call) and told him that he was being a Good Samaritan and wanted to make sure the money made it back to its owner.

Maybe itís corny, but I do believe that no good deed goes unrewarded. Maybe not immediately, but it does happen.
Pay it forward was a movie that moved me...back then and still today...there are so many good people in this world...only the press wants to show the bad...good for news..

Excellent story...thanks for sharing..

Bill