RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2019, 07:29 PM   #1

King connect OTA antenna

Why am I getting better signal with antenna off than on? Every channel is fuzzy with it on. I have pushed the button in the cabinet and turned the antenna in all directions. When I turn the antenna off the picture is clear.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2019, 12:44 PM   #2

I'm familiar with antennas in general and cable TV, but no experience specifically with RV antenna hardware.

That said, how do you switch off the antenna?
If there is a switch of some kind the contacts could be getting dirty. Try cycling it several times on/off quickly.

There could be a connector at the antenna on the roof that is corroded or loose.

Tim-n-Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-n-Gina View Post
I'm familiar with antennas in general and cable TV, but no experience specifically with RV antenna hardware.

That said, how do you switch off the antenna?
If there is a switch of some kind the contacts could be getting dirty. Try cycling it several times on/off quickly.

There could be a connector at the antenna on the roof that is corroded or loose.
This is the setup/directions. I have checked all the connections, all are tight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	085BC26C-031B-44C7-B32D-EC68F7FF782F.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	264505   Click image for larger version

Name:	5D9C7E29-39F3-4ADB-A49A-1A12E659BFCC.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	264506  

Old 10-23-2019, 02:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple H View Post
Why am I getting better signal with antenna off than on? Every channel is fuzzy with it on. I have pushed the button in the cabinet and turned the antenna in all directions. When I turn the antenna off the picture is clear.
Just wonder if it is possible the switch is hooked up backwards on the inside of the switch. It has happened before.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 02:57 PM   #5

Was this a functional system until recently?
Has anything changed or any work been done on the coach?

Is there CATV connected to the coach?
Old 10-23-2019, 08:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Was this a functional system until recently?
Has anything changed or any work been done on the coach?

Is there CATV connected to the coach?
Yes functional at previous location. Nothing has been done to the coach since it last worked.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
Just wonder if it is possible the switch is hooked up backwards on the inside of the switch. It has happened before.
Good thought but it worked a week ago at my previous location and has worked well in the past.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:29 PM   #8

I've got a similar OTA antenna, and sometimes it just doesn't work well in a particular location.

That said, I have had the amplifier/switch part crap out in the past. When you push the button to turn it on, does the little green light come on? If not, have you checked the fuse? There is a small circuit board behind that switch, and I think that it's about $25 for a new unit. That's where the 12v power is connected. The one other thing to check is if you have coax connecting to the 'cable TV' inlet on the back of the switch - in my experience that coax can create a problem if it is shorted out or if the end has gotten water in it.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
I've got a similar OTA antenna, and sometimes it just doesn't work well in a particular location.

That said, I have had the amplifier/switch part crap out in the past. When you push the button to turn it on, does the little green light come on? If not, have you checked the fuse? There is a small circuit board behind that switch, and I think that it's about $25 for a new unit. That's where the 12v power is connected. The one other thing to check is if you have coax connecting to the 'cable TV' inlet on the back of the switch - in my experience that coax can create a problem if it is shorted out or if the end has gotten water in it.
Yeah, the green light is on and no coax connected. Itís just weird because the picture is crystal clear when I turn the green light off, although Iím not getting many channels. Getting some kind of interference when turning it on.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:20 PM   #10

Seems odd to get any reception at all with the power off to the antenna and no cable TV connected.
My guess would also be that the power inserter/switch device has gone defective.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:21 PM   #11

Are you close to a town or metropolitan area where there might be strong over-the-air signals?
Old 10-23-2019, 10:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Are you close to a town or metropolitan area where there might be strong over-the-air signals?
Palm Springs.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple H View Post
Palm Springs.
If, as stated above, there is a replacement board available for that power inserter device for a reasonable price, it might be worth a shot.
As far as Hands-On troubleshooting I would want to bypass that device and see if I could get antenna signal directly to the television. But if you don't have access to coax tools, wire and connectors, the $25 replacement would probably be more efficient.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Sounds like you're too close to one or more transmitting antennas and it's overloading the amplifier or the strong signal as amplified is overloading the TV's receiver, as Tim-n-Gina suggested. Even though the amplifier would normally be bricked with the power off, you can get a signal right through a shielded length of coax if it's strong enough.

Have you turned down the attenuator control to see if it cleans up?

Palm Springs has a few antennas on tall hills with no interference, so signal strength may be an issue, especially with an amplified antenna where no amplification is needed (or wanted).

Tags
antenna