Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2016, 08:10 AM   #1

King Quest Portable Satellite

Just installed this unit for our motorhome for Directv. Currently I have it sitting on a tripod in a clearing. Very happy with the picture and reception! We have Directv account at home and are staying in a State Park campground less than 10 miles away. We get the same channels just like we are at home, even the local stations. So here is my question for those of you that have this setup or have any knowledge of my setup. When traveling to other destinations throughout our great country will I always get our current local channels? Or will I need to go to the airwaves and my antenna to get that areas local stations?
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2016, 08:41 AM   #2

You will lose the locals after a distance from home. The exact difference depends on where you are,in relation to your local service spot beam. Some are round and some are oval.

You can supposedly call DirecTV and change your "service" address ( not billing ) and get the locals for that area.

My home address puts me in a DNS area so I get NY networks everywhere. Because of that, I don't change anything.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You will lose the locals after a distance from home. The exact difference depends on where you are,in relation to your local service spot beam. Some are round and some are oval.

You can supposedly call DirecTV and change your "service" address ( not billing ) and get the locals for that area.

My home address puts me in a DNS area so I get NY networks everywhere. Because of that, I don't change anything.
We live in KC metro so what exactly do you mean by DNS area. Thanks for the info!
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 02:02 AM   #4

DNS is distant network service.

Tom's River, NJ has no real metro area with networks so we get NY citys ABC, NBC, CBS.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:42 AM   #5

Exclamation

yes - just call or Chat online with Direct and they can update your LOCAL Abc, Cbs, Nbs, Fox channels to the area you are traveling in - they will need your address, which you can make up if you are in a rural area, campground, or drycamping in a parking lot - the ZIP is what they really go by.

the system will update your Channel Guide list within 10 to 20 minutes, normally, for your lower numbered Local channels.

As far as the term 'spot beam' goes, it is basically a specific satellite beam that is only for a certain geographical 'area' so that people who live in those areas receive appropriate LOCAL channels from the metro area they are near, such as ATLANTA, which covers probably a 200mile radius. I can pick it up most anywhere in Georgia, but also into Alabama, NorthCarolina, SouthCarolina, Tennessee, etc.
I usually travel to my destination, turn on my receiver and tv, and see if those channels are still viewable. If not, I know I am no longer within the ATL spot beam and must contact DISH to change to local address spot beam for the new area.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite