Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2016, 05:23 PM   #1

Kitchen Aid Residential Refrigarator

Hello

I have a 2012 Tiffin Phateon with a Kitchen Aid residential refrigerator. During our last trip which was for 4 days the refrigerator did not cool properly. The freezer portion never got to the zero setting and the refrigerator took two days to get to 40F. In the two years we have owned the coach it has never been very strong in cooling but did eventually get to the proper temperatures.

I asked our local RV service center to look at it but they do not service the residential type refrigerator. I called a couple of Kitchen Aid repair stores and they will not look at it because it is in a RV.

Sooooooooooooooooooooo. I am back to trying to fix it myself which I am almost positive will end in disaster but as this point I have little choice.

PS I have already tried kicking it and swearing at it. Nether of those helped although several beers made the problem seem less important.

I am appealing to the wise and knowledgeable of this forum for suggestions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2016, 05:31 PM   #2

I'd just buy a new one. Why beat your head against the wall?

Old 08-12-2016, 05:31 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are the door seals hot to the touch? If so the fan that cools the compressor may be bad.

The problem with appliance repair shops is they won't remove it from its cubby to service the unit. If you pull it out they will service it. I had a outfit come out to service mine and they were able to fix through the outside access panel. I was prepared to pull it out of the cubby if needed.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:31 PM   #4

Did you pull the front off on the bottom and check the coil to see if it was dirty or even the front itself.

Also on the back of the freezer under the plastic panel on the rear wall is a little fan in there. If that stops working it will cause what your problem is. Some times it gets ice on it or just stops. Sometimes it needs replacing and could just need to be cleaned.There are like 4 or 6 screws that if you take out will release the panel for the fan access.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:57 PM   #5

Ranger Smith

I did check the coils and they are free of dust. The little fan you are talking about. Is that accessible from the outside cover or did you pull the unit from it"s enclosure which looks like a real pain.

Buying a new one from my understanding is expensive as the need to take the windshield out. I would imagine we are talking in the $1,500 to $2,000. Not in the budget.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:50 PM   #6
cwk

This may sound like a silly question, but did you put anything in the fridge? Trying to cool an empty refrigerator and freezer is not going to work.

Try putting some gallons of water in the fridge. Put some filled ice cube trays in the freezer. Or, some ice packs if you have any.

This may not be your issue, but often folks complain about their brand new refrigerator not cooling. Turns out it was empty.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwarren718 View Post
Ranger Smith

I did check the coils and they are free of dust. The little fan you are talking about. Is that accessible from the outside cover or did you pull the unit from it"s enclosure which looks like a real pain.

Buying a new one from my understanding is expensive as the need to take the windshield out. I would imagine we are talking in the $1,500 to $2,000. Not in the budget.
Open freezer. Back panel inside of freezer. It is white with screws in it. There is a fan under it. Don't need to pull unit or anything.The fan circulates the cold air from the freezer to refrigerator.
Your symptom is like trying to run an Air Conditioner with no blower running. Once the air starts circulating it will cool down.
Here is a video.Yours may be different. It is called an evaporator fan. Most people don't even know it is there
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:08 AM   #8
paz

Our residential fridge cools from room temp to zero in the freezer in 2 or 3 hours. Something is obviously wrong.

The problem with a residential refrigerator installed in an RV is the tech can't fully access the back. Normally, you would take the RV to a dealer to have him remove the fridge from the wall and sit it in the middle of the floor of the RV or remove it from the RV altogether and sit it on the floor of his shop. Then he would call the appliance repairman to come out to service it.

The other option is to remove the fridge from the wall yourself. As long as you can guarantee him full access to the back of the fridge, there is no reason it should matter that it's in an RV so I would consider not even mentioning it when you call.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:02 AM   #9

Try looking up Mr. Appliance,they are nation wide and might be able to help