Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2010, 09:11 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question Kitchen Backsplash

Has anyone, here, ever used glass tiles for their kitchen backsplash or maybe shower?

Here is what I am talking about: Pictures - Kitchen Backsplash Ideas - Tile and Other Materials @ RemodelingMySpace.com

This is something that I am considering for behind my stove but do not know how this would do on a kitchen that 'travels'.

Would love to hear from anyone and their experience with this medium.

Sheila

PS~ I do know with 1x1 there is more work installing but I think it will be worth it. The reflective surface will help give the illusion of a larger space.
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2010, 09:43 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Here is a link to the process we used to install tiles in our kitchen. This method has worked in at least two installs with good success. The key is to lay the tile on the backer board outside the coach and carry it in as a sheet.
http://cid-ae67fff392766057.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/RV%20Mods/Kitchen%20Backsplash

There are other threads on this board talking about your type of project. It's well worth the effort IMHO and you should enjoy the work and the results.
Good Luck

Dick
Old 02-20-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
If I were doing it, I'd do it the same as lonestarace did in this thread. His job is absolutely beautiful. Putting the tiles on the backerboard & then attaching that to the rv wall is the way to go.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #4

Yes, you can use glass tile (or art glass even) behind your range. In a motorhome/trailer, use the epoxy grout with latex admix (which the manufacturer will probably tell you to anyway) that will allow the grount to be more flexible (no cracking). Use a mildew resistant caulking between the last row of tile and the countertop (also in corners and where tile butts up to cabinets, walls) for a better seal and look. The tile manufacturer will tell what setting products works best with their brand of tile. You want a mildew/stain resistant grout and caulk.

Check out the links here for a bit more info.
http://www.ehow.com/search.aspx?s=Gl...lash&Options=0
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
csp

Monaco Owners Club
Theberrys
Tile looks very good. I only have a couple of questions. I am probably going to use tumbled marble. Why do you do the tile on a backer board then screw it to the wall? Is it to save your back leaning over or it a movement thing with the coach or something else? The backer board with the tile attached to it has to be very heavy to put into place. Did you use a flexible mortar and grout? I am wanting to do the bathroom and the kitchen but I am wanting to do it the best way possible.
Thank You for any help
Chris
Old 02-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
We did the tile lying in the shop while the backer board was horizontal. This allowed us to get it evenly spaced and press it down into the thin set. Yes a lot had to do with my back, but it also allowed two of us to work at the same time something we couldn't do in the confined space of the coach. Also it saved a lot of clean up in the MH after the job. The backer board needs to be screwed to the wall anyway, also the liquid nails or contractors glue is a real good idea since it's gonna bounce a bit in transit. The boards weren't too heavy to carry, I could do it myself alone. I think this way made things a little straighter and just as strong. We used VersaBond Fortified Thin-Set Mortar from Home Depot because it clams to be a stronger bond and is suitable for interior or exterior use. We don't full time so I figured it would see extreme temps during storage and exterior grade would hold up better. If your going to do glass tile check with your grout supplier for the correct kind. You will no doubt need NON-SANDED Grout to avoid scratching the glass. It also fills narrow spaces better.

So in the end doing it outside the MH was just eaiser, I don't think it's any stronger or better other than pressing the tiles into the thinset is perhaps a little more even.

Dick
Old 02-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by csp View Post
... I am probably going to use tumbled marble...
If you use the tumbled marble use the kind that doesn't have the huge holes. It's a PITA to grout (all those nifty little holes will have to be filled with grout). Also, if you do it right, you have a lot of culls (open the boxes and look at ALL of it). As someone who has set tile professionally... I would throw every bit of it in the garbage. When used in an area that gets wet or greasy, it also has to sealed often. That changes the looks of it. Have fun!
Old 02-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
As someone who has set tile professionally...
Lorna,

Now that you have opened this door............... LOL!!

So what is your take on glass tiles in an RV kitchen (or bathroom). If you were going to do this to your rig, what would you do/not do?

Would love to hear any tips that you would like to pass on.

Sheila
Old 02-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
We did the tile lying in the shop while the backer board was horizontal. Yes a lot had to do with my back,
So in the end doing it outside the MH was just eaiser, I don't think it's any stronger or better other than pressing the tiles into the thinset is perhaps a little more even.

Dick
Thank you for the idea, Dick. I never would have thought of doing it on a board and bringing it in! With spinal issues, myself, this is an intriguing idea!

BTW, your final product is very nice!!

Sheila
Old 02-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
Lorna,

Now that you have opened this door............... LOL!!

So what is your take on glass tiles in an RV kitchen (or bathroom). If you were going to do this to your rig, what would you do/not do?

Would love to hear any tips that you would like to pass on.

Sheila
I am going to put glass in the back splash of our RV. We have a 40 ft Blue Bird All American FE (front engine w/ flat front) sitting in NM. (we're in TX). We bought it to move our stuff out to NM. One of my daughters lives there and she wanted her sister to move out to where she was... they fight like cats and dogs when together for too long so one is with us. We're in the planning stages but I have finally gotten the floor plan locked down. Now I have to lay out the pattern for the galley back splashes (white daisies and peach coloured roses... what my wedding bouquet was made up of... plus blue morning glories, butterflies and "blue birds") . I will be using art glass (stained glass) since I have about 40 sf of it (in NM along with the rest of our stuff... including my glass grinder, glass tools and tile wet saw). I also have to lay out the stained glass panels that will be laid over the bus windows that we will keep (copper foil method). It's not much different to use art glass than it is to use commercially made glass tile other than commercial glass tile is consistent in thickness and the thinner art glass pieces will have to be "buttered". And the translucent glass will have to be backed (to keep the adhesive from showing thru the glass). I will use a flexible adhesive and grout on a plywood backer that will be screwed to a slightly built out wall section in the galley area. This is so we can install duplex outlets, switches and under cabinet lighting. My counter top will be either a standard laminate postform counter top or a custom built laminate counter top. If I decide I don't like the colour of the laminate, it's cheap and easy to jerk out and replace. We used to build/install custom laminate counters. For us, it's easy. We also used to remodel/restyle houses (design, paint, build, demolition, plumbing/LP gas, ceramic tile, cabinet install, flooring, recreate vintage trimwork from scratch). My taste is somewhat eclectic. I also love polychrome Victorian houses (Painted Ladies). It's how our hot dog cart ended up looking like it does (Victorian Gypsy Vardo style). While I will use restraint on the exterior of the bus... the inside will be colourful, different and it will hold a lot of meaning for us as it will incorporate our "treasures" that we have acquired along the way

You can spend weeks (months) reading articles on the internet related to mosaic glass and glass tile back splashes. Just make sure you use the flexible adhesive and grout recommended by the manufacturer of your tile. I would use plywood for the back splash not Durrock or Hardi-Backer (cement board). Use Durrock or Hardi-Backer for wet areas like tub/shower surrounds. I have seen some Home Depots offering DIY classes on installing glass tile.